Omega Syndrome

narpet

Sentinel
Hello all...

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this game on rpgwatch.

If you want to play a "Fallout"-ish game that's pretty fun you should download the demo and try it. I bought the game about a year ago and only played it a little... time passed and I've come back to it. The developer has polished it quite a bit since then, and I'm really enjoying it.

It's nice to see another indie developer (like Spiderweb Software) making games that people love to play.

Don't expect shiny graphics (take off those graphix goggles) and you'll have some fun. If you like turn-based combat and a set of good options you'll probably have some fun with this one.

Get the demo here.

Yeah, its a good game. I bought it at least a couple years ago. I haven't given it a try in a long time, thanks for the reminder to check it out again

WHAT!! You'd expect to find an Aussie game here!!!! :biggrin: Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

The whole beginning has been redone. Is it supposed to be all black simulating dark or is something wrong with it? I checked there forums and no one seemed to bring up this issue.

I think it might be your PC/graphics driver. I didn't notice that problem.

the wierd thing is I can see myself and npcs/enemies, and I can see objects when I hit alt. This sucks because if just by judging from the opening, the game has gotten leaps and bounds better, even if I can't see anything.

Hello all...

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this game on rpgwatch.

If you want to play a "Fallout"-ish game that's pretty fun

And then I downloaded the demo. :D

Only problem is that if I want to buy it I have to either steal my father's creditcard or somehow fool him that internetshopping is safe...

Übereil

Hey rpgwatch Admins... since it seems that this game has flown under the radar of many players, do you think it deserves a little newsbit?

I can likely oblige!!

A quick update...

I've been playing the game for several hours now and I'm having a blast. If you are a Fallout fan you definitely owe it to yourself to get this game and play it. I don't think the demo does it justice.

Once you get out of the first area the game really takes off. It's a very tough game, and you've got to pay attention and play smart, but it's got a good story (actually very different from Fallout's) and good pacing. The combat is great, as is the character development.

I'll keep posting comments on this one as I complete major sections of the game. But I won't use any spoilers. Suffice it to say that I am now in a city... and getting in was tough.

Once again... if you are a Fallout fan I can't see you not liking this game. You just have to go through a few hours of the first location before you get a bit more into the meat of the story and the game.

Is it turn based, narpet?

Is it turn based, narpet?

Yep... turn based and very much like Fallout in gameplay (not completely like it though).

When targeting you can choose to just make a general attack (like shooting with your pistol), or you can choose to target specific body parts. When using a multi-fire weapon (machine gun) you can choose to shoot it with a short burst, or a full burst (or whatever it's called).

It uses skills like Fallout (not the same skills - but you get the point). Every time you level up you choose where to put your new skill points so that you can build your character the way you want.

It uses an equivelant to the PiP Boy called the Scout Master. You work for the government (at least right now as far as I've played) and you will get incoming information about happenings in other places as you play on your Scout Master(sorry no spoilers).

Like I said earlier... the hardest part is just getting through the first location in the game, because that can become a little tedious. But once you move on it really starts to shine (IMO).

I liked Geneforge 1 & 2 very much so I'm open to the whole indie/shareware -thing.
From what you've told so far narpet, this sounds like something I might give a try.
Interesting. Thanks for the post.

I liked Geneforge 1 & 2 very much so I'm open to the whole indie/shareware -thing.
From what you've told so far narpet, this sounds like something I might give a try.
Interesting. Thanks for the post.

If you liked the Geneforge games (I really enjoy them) I would guess that you will probably like Omega Syndrome. Of course everyone has different tastes, so there's no guarantee.

One more nice thing is that the developer has been making updates to the game at least once a week for several weeks now. So he's really supporting his game well. He's also great at promptly answering any questions you may have about game play (or anything regarding the game) on the official forums.

Another note about this game...

The developer is a perfect example of what great support should be like. I realize that he's an indie developer and doesn't have as many customers as the big companies, but that doesn't really matter to me.

He's been updating this game sometimes daily. If you ask him a question, have a problem, or find a bug... and you post it on the message board, he will have it fixed (or answered) for you within a day. You can tell that he truly cares about his creation and he values the feedback of his customers. It helps me to enjoy this little gem even more.

You can see examples of his support by just reading through the posts written by me (and other customers) on his message board. He readily and quickly answers questions, fixes bugs and even takes suggestions into consideration (and often implements them if he can).

Good stuff!

Okay... some more impressions on my play through Omega Syndrome...

Honestly, it continues to get more and more fun as I play. Without giving any spoilers out... I'm meeting interesting NPCs (some downright funny)... and building a team of friends that are helping me.

The game is quite unforgiving... a real challenge... but it's worth it. I know at this point I seem like the poster child for Omega Syndrome, but I'm really having a lot of fun with it.

If you haven't bought it because the demo is a bit lame... believe me... the demo doesn't do the game justice. It does take time to get into the meat of the game, but once you do you are treated to a turn-based delight. The story is steeped in 1950's conspiracy theories and paranoia, and the combat is a blast.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it compares equally to the original Fallout... but it is MUCH better than a lot of the crap that big companies are churning out today.

Another note about this game...

The developer is a perfect example of what great support should be like. I realize that he's an indie developer and doesn't have as many customers as the big companies, but that doesn't really matter to me.

That's why shareware in general became so famous in the the first place ! :)

Back
Top Bottom