Knights of the Chalice - Interview @ RPG Codex

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There was an interview earlier in the week at RPG Codex on Knights of the Chalice, an indie 2D turn-based RPG you may remember from a post a little while back. Here's a sample:
What kind of an experience are you looking to give: pure old-school turn-based combat, an in-depth story, exploration, or some combination of these?

It is firstly about good turn-based combat. This is achieved, hopefully, through the variety of combat situations (as the party may be ambushed, surprised, fighting with allies, etc) and the variety of opponents, magic spells and tactics. All enemies behave as a group and you will not be able to fight them one by one as in the Infinity Engine games. Dragons are my favourite enemy, from time to time they will reposition themselves in order to blast the party with their breath weapon.

This is also a game of exploration. There are no empty areas. You will discover treasure, decipher secret messages, find unexpected allies and trade with them, choose between factions, negotiate with enemies and expose traitors. It is through the actions of the player, and how he copes with combat encounters, that the storyline unfolds.
More information.

This guy sounds almost like what I would do if I decided to code my own game. I liked it all, except for there being only 3 classes. I mean, in a party based game, 3 classes is very restrictive. A big part of party based games is, imho, selecting a party composition. Replayability is 90% just playing it again with a different party. Also... fighter/mage/cleric... no rogue?

IIRC, doesn't he explain the party choices in the interview? Also, he plans to add four more if he's able to do a sequel.

IIRC, doesn't he explain the party choices in the interview? Also, he plans to add four more if he's able to do a sequel.

yes he does, resources and what not, but to me a healthy selection of classes (if not races too) is a major factor in party-based RPGs. In fact, as a rule of thumb, I would say there should be at least X + 1 classes in a party based game, where X is the # of character slots in the party.

Back
Top Bottom