Last game you finished, tell us about it

Heh ... Halo 2. Here is my GamerDad review, with the tagline "If I didn't know this was the port of a landmark classic XBOX shooter I'd swear it was a crappy $9.99 budget release. Did someone say Microsoft LIKED PC gamers ... ?"

The game isn't *supposed* to run on XP ... it is shoverware to get you to 'upgrade' to Vista and to use the crappy (now free) Live for Windows

Heh ... Halo 2. Here is my GamerDad review, with the tagline "If I didn't know this was the port of a landmark classic XBOX shooter I'd swear it was a crappy $9.99 budget release. Did someone say Microsoft LIKED PC gamers ... ?"
The game isn't *supposed* to run on XP ... it is shoverware to get you to 'upgrade' to Vista and to use the crappy (now free) Live for Windows

I grabbed three Vista exclusive games along with Vista; Halo 2, Bioshock and Crysis. I finished Bioshock right away, but to a sea of technical problems it took me another year to finish Crysis and Halo 2, only after hacking them to run in XP (and I still have Vista installed on a separate harddrive, I just do not use the operating system unless I have to).

Crysis simply refused to run properly and even if you got it running it simply crawled in Vista. Halo 2 had the habit of freezing Vista in a certain level, giving away a terrible noise, only to reboot the entire machine a few seconds later.

Yeah, Microsoft went from leading the PC market into a console company.

Actually, I do have Gears of War as well, but I found the game so boring that I couldn't bare myself to continue after a few levels.

-edit- You had already commented on that fact in the review -edit- Unedited below
Btw, Halo 2 was released on XBox 2004... but one must also acknowledge that XBox was then running hardware from 2001. Halo 2 was released like 1 year before Microsoft halted all production on the original XBox and still Bungiee still pushed the old hardware to the limit. PC games from 2004 actually looked much better than Halo 2 did. As comparision, 2004 was the year that ID released Doom 3, Valve released Half-Life 2 and Crytek released Far Cry.

Last edited:
Bioshock isn't Vista-only. I played it on my XP rig.

Mmmm, quite a few of my friends have Halo 2 on Vista and none of them ever reported running into any problems.

I have Halo 2 but have never played it. I thought about trying the XP hack but I heard it was somewhat complicated and buggy.

Mmmm, quite a few of my friends have Halo 2 on Vista and none of them ever reported running into any problems.
I had not technical problems ... just that it i a mediocre shooter, Vista shovelware, and required the crappiest match service I've used in a decade ...

I had not technical problems ... just that it i a mediocre shooter, Vista shovelware, and required the crappiest match service I've used in a decade ...

What do you mean by "shovelware"? I wouldn't care about the match service, I just want to play the single-player.

What do you mean by "shovelware"? I wouldn't care about the match service, I just want to play the single-player.

Shovelware I tend to associate with stuff that is quick-released that is licensed that the maker knows will sell a good amount based on license alone so they don't bother with quality. Microsoft released it as Vista-only, XBox-Live-for-Windows-only ... and they did it to push Vista and the new service based on people wanting the top-selling XBOX game for their PC. And they release it 3 years after initial release for full price.

But ultimately that would have all just been typical Microsoft 'anti-consumer, anti-PC' stuff ... but the game is amazingly average for something from 2004. That, as both JemyM and I mentioned, was the year of Doom3, Far Cry and HL2. Those games tower over Halo 2 to a degree that makes it seem like releasing Wolf3D alongside the 1998 games I'm playing now (Unreal, SiN and the original Half-Life)!

Finished The Witcher for the first time yesterday.
I was having a really great time!
The story, characters, environment, atmosphere, consequences, everything was just awesome. Finally a game which is really about something. I wasn´t having such a blast moving through the storyline since Planescape: Torment.
There were some gameplay and other issues but I stopped to care about them somewhere during the second chapter.

I´ve installed two mods dealing with inventory and one allowing to play from the first person perspective (though I sometimes scrolled "out" to see the witcher in action) which have further increased my enjoyment.

Another great thing was the game was really long without loosing steam towards the end.
My favourite chapters were second, for its complex and intriguing questing, and fourth for its magical environment and a nice, brilliantly placed change of pace.

Although it was my first playthrough, I´ve chosen the hard difficulty to get the most out of the game, but it still became pretty easy after the chapter 2. Hopefully the enhanced edition will boost the difficulty somehow.
Finished at level 34 as a neutral.

All in all, despite some issues, it´s still pretty easily 10/10 for me and, along with P:T, the best rpg I´ve played.

Oh yeah, Chapter 4 was worth the price of admission all on it's own, I loved it.

This part was easily my most favorite cut scene, of like any game that I can remember.

What a surprise the Lady of the Lake had for me!

Shovelware I tend to associate with stuff that is quick-released that is licensed that the maker knows will sell a good amount based on license alone so they don't bother with quality. Microsoft released it as Vista-only, XBox-Live-for-Windows-only ... and they did it to push Vista and the new service based on people wanting the top-selling XBOX game for their PC. And they release it 3 years after initial release for full price.

Most definitely. Microsoft charging $49.99 for Halo 2 was absolutely ridiculous, I've said that since the day it was released. I'm also shocked at how long it remained at that price, which is exactly why I bought my copy off Ebay for less than $20.

But ultimately that would have all just been typical Microsoft 'anti-consumer, anti-PC' stuff ... but the game is amazingly average for something from 2004. That, as both JemyM and I mentioned, was the year of Doom3, Far Cry and HL2. Those games tower over Halo 2 to a degree that makes it seem like releasing Wolf3D alongside the 1998 games I'm playing now (Unreal, SiN and the original Half-Life)!

I can't comment on the gameplay since I haven't actually played it yet, but the general opinion doesn't surprise me. Microsoft screwed the PC version of H2 by waiting so long to release it. You obviously can't compare it to the DirectX 9 games you mentioned, they're an entire generation later. I'm still interested in playing just to experience the continuation of the Halo story, which I thought was great.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary
I saw that this was a remake, and not in a good way. Also it made me ponder just how much have changed in how we see computer games. Tomb Raider is a hardcore game. It's challenge rating is very high, and challenges is what TR:A offers first and foremost. TR:A took me much longer to finish than TR:L and long does not neccessary mean good. Yes, there is a story, but it's not at all as intriguing and emotional like Tomb Raider: Legends. Except for an occasional cutscene each 4-5 hours (that's what it took me to finish 4 levels) there's little story going on here. Still, I did get all artifacts and all relics and I completed the Croft Manor bonus level. I will play TR: Underworld because I loved TR: Legends, but TR:A is a game I would rather like to avoid in the future. It's not a bad game, it's just not my style.

Anniversary was different than legend in difficulty imo, it was downright maddening at times, some entire play sessions were devoted to passing one part of a map. Or maybe my paw reflexes arent what they used to be in my old age or somethin, but that timed climbing of the pyramid in the end was quite the challenge.. er torment.

But that's Tomb Raider for you - when it all shakes out, it hurts so good. I did the Croft Manor too, thought that was pretty fun. Overall, I was pleased w/ the game, the original is one of my faves, and I liked Anniversary a lot better than the original. I think the game would be fun to do the speed trials thru once you knew it like the back of your hand, I just dont have the time to replay games these days. Theyre done, they come off the drive! Game over!

Looking forward to Underworld...

You want a real challenge? I just finished Starship Troopers, a FPS based on the movie of the same name. The game got terrible reviews, mostly because it was a buggy mess when it was first released in 2005, but I thought it was fun as hell. The game does an incredible job of rendering nearly a hundred enemies onscreen at once, it really makes you feel like you're in the movie. I had to reload 10-12 times to get past some parts of that game, which is a rarity for me in FPSs.

Shovelware I tend to associate with stuff that is quick-released that is licensed that the maker knows will sell a good amount based on license alone so they don't bother with quality. Microsoft released it as Vista-only, XBox-Live-for-Windows-only ...

Sounds like the infamous Shadowrun game ...

You want a real challenge? I just finished Starship Troopers, a FPS based on the movie of the same name.

There's a song by the band/group called Yes from 1971 with the same title ...

The SNES Shadowrun RPG was better (at least I liked the story a lot better) though the Genesis (SEGA) RPG had the better matrix/cyberspace gameplay solution.
(I had a SNES while my brother had a Genesis :p).

CoD: Modern Warfare - I'm on my second run through. No doubt it's great FPS, but it has one jarring gameplay element. If you try to play it on high difficulty setting, everyone will start throwing grenades like there's no tomorrow, it come raining down on you no matter where you hide or stand. And if you somehow survive or haven't got your ass completely blown off, the attack dog probably already chewing whatever left of it.

Last edited:
Just finished Gothic 1 yesterday for the first time ever. How I missed this gem the first time I don't know. I thoroughly enjoyed it and really appreciated the length of game play and breadth of plot.

Back
Top Bottom