Gothic 3 System upgrade for G3?

gaboru93

Sentinel
hi i'm new on the forums (i think this is my first post yay!)
i wanted to ask you guys what optimisations should i make on my comp because i loved G1 and G2 and i'm about to buy Gothic 3 but i'm sure it won't work on my comp! here are my specs:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3Dnow
2.00GHz, 256 MB of ram
i have a RADEON 9200 series
128 MB total memory
PLZ tell me as soon as possible!
i'm looking forward to upgrade my PC this month or next month!
thank you

Welcome to our forum! :)

I´ve moved your post into a new thread because the answers would have distracted from the other one´s topic.

I wouldn´t upgrade your PC. Just put another 512 MB RAM into it and use it for office work. With a bit more RAM it´s still perfectly fine for that but for gaming it would be an understatement to call it a dead end. You would need RAM, graphics card, mainboard, CPU and power supply. It´s better to buy a new PC - and plug all the slow peripherals like printer and scanner into your old PC. ;)

As for the new PC, if money is not that much of a problem just start 2*1 GB RAM. Then invest the same amount of money each into the graphics card and the CPU. Add an average mainboard from a brand manufacturer and buy drives as you like. You´ll end up with a pretty good PC. ;)
Some money can be saved at the CPU and graphics card positions. The CPU can be chosen a bit smaller but the graphics card has to be selected carefully. A single letter in the card´s name can cost you 30% performance. RAM should be the last item to save money on. G3 eats RAM for breakfast.

My advice for an upgrade would be similar. You can reuse the drives and the case but not the power supply, mainboard, etc.

Yep, I agree with Gorath, you need a new PC. Go for the best you can afford and shop around. Custom built is better IMO than branded boxes, but that's a personal choice. Keep in mind that Vista is on the way in, so if possible, keep an eye to that when discussing components so you don't have to update for a few years!!

ok i'll keep in mind these things! thank you very much Gorath and Corwin. there are a few things i need u to clear for me! what does IMO mean? I've seen it on rpgdot too next what do u mean gorath when you say drives next what do u want to say with : "Some money can be saved at the CPU and graphics card positions. The CPU can be chosen a bit smaller but the graphics card has to be selected carefully. A single letter in the card´s name can cost you 30% performance."
It's nothing because you've moved the thread gorath i'm just glad i'm getting help(on rpgdot i posted like the same things a few days ago and no ressponse"

and can you give me some names for graphics card or other things! is a dual core proccesor important or could i get a normal one. give me some specs that you wolud buy for a gaming PC(because i want to use it on gaming)
again thank you and i am waiting for a response oh btw i'm from est Europe if that helps you for telling me the specs(but i don't think that that coounts):)

oh ok i wouldn't have figured out...

i'm still waiting for the respose to the post above gorath because u seem to know these kind of things;)
thank you

Graphics cards: Depends on how much money you have - Geforce 8800gs if you have quite a bit to spend, GF7900gs or 7950 if not.

Processor: Go for dual-core processors, like intels e6000 series or amd x2 4000-4600 cpus.

Memory: 2 gigabyte ram is a must in a new gaming computer in my opinion.

It all depends on what kind of cash you have to spend really. If you have the money, I'd go for:
GeForce 8800GS
Intel e6600 CPU
2 Gigabyte ram

I agree with the dual core, it's what I have, but for gaming I prefer AMD to Intel. That, however, is just personal preference. Look at cost in your area!!

ok got it if i want for gaming i should take AMD wich is what i had in mind! can u guys explain me something about AMD dual core? i don't understand what is it with 4000-4600 stuff? when i talk about proccesors i say like how much GHz they have... like 2x 1.88 or something like it and how would a pc described by Maylander cost?

DualCore CPUs have two cores running on the same speed. This is an advantage if you want to use more than one program at the same time or if the same supports multi-threading. This means it internally runs sub-programs for certain functions, for example the physics engine.
Single Core CPUs have more MHz for the same money. They are faster when you´re running only one program but have to share their available performance between all running tasks.

If you are short on money buy a fast single core CPU, for example a 3800+. Otherwise spend 50 bucks more and get a dual core.

To repeat what I tried to emphasize in my first post: the most important part is the 2 GB RAM. Then the graphics card and finally the CPU. Everything faster than a cheap Athlon64 3000+ is at least okay.

New graphics card models are coming out in these days. This means last year´s cards will become cheaper soon. It might be a good idea to wait another 6 weeks. Late February is a traditional time for price cuts on PC parts.
I won´t recommend specific cards because I´m not up-to-date. Read some tests online and buy a card with _exactly_ the mentioned chip.

It's nothing because you've moved the thread gorath i'm just glad i'm getting help(on rpgdot i posted like the same things a few days ago and no ressponse"
Of course you got no response. Most people moved from RPGDot to RPGWatch. :D

You should use the quote function. Without it quotes are very hard to read.

If Gothic 3 is the only reason you want to upgrade, then think again. Before I played it I did in fact consider it the best possible reason for an upgrade. But in the end it was not worth it. I now consider the upgrade to have been an investment in some future title that will in fact be worthy. Just saying think some more, nothing else.

I agree with that on general terms - pinning an upgrade to a single release is flawed in my opinion, it should be about aggregate performance and longer term goals ...

i'm upgrading not only for G3 but because my CPU was weak and i couldn't use on many things! and it's about time i got an upgrade. did u look at my specs????

You should use the quote function. Without it quotes are very hard to read.
ok sry :D
but what would be better for gaming? a dual core.. let's say 1.8 or a simple proccesor faster like 2.8+ or 3+
and can u give me an aproximately cost of a cpu like that?
thanks again u are great!!!

I am a bit skeptical on Dual-Core... a 2Ghz Dual-Core which means each Core can run up to 1 Ghz. I have yet see definitive evidance of its superiority in gaming...99.9% of games are single threaded. I would go for a AMD 4000+ or FX55 if all you do is gaming. They are under $200 USD.

Heres a link for some info http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

I am a bit skeptical on Dual-Core... a 2Ghz Dual-Core which means each Core can run up to 1 Ghz.

Classic misconception alert! :) . Both cores in modern dual core CPUs run at full speed. There is no sharing (except for the cache and FSB).

You are right, of course, that dual cores are not really utilized by games yet but the Intel Core 2 Duo happens to be the most efficient and best performing CPU anyway so there's little reason not to get a Core 2 Duo as a "serious" gamer who likes to play state of the art games.

Even the smallest Core 2 Duo model, the E6300 at 1.86GHz beats the crap out of any non-Core 2 Duo or Kentsfield (quad)-based 3GHz+ CPU. Raw power (GHz) has nothing to do with performance anymore.

The only reason to get an AMD64 4000+ would be if you're running on a very tight budget and already own an AMD mainboard with the required slot (939 or AM2). Otherwise it's Core 2 Duo all the way or -again- if you're on a moderately tight budget an AMD X2 based on AM2 or S939.

i think i'm going for core 2 Duo because as Moriender said:
Even the smallest Core 2 Duo model, the E6300 at 1.86GHz beats the crap out of any non-Core 2 Duo or Kentsfield (quad)-based 3GHz+ CPU. Raw power (GHz) has nothing to do with performance anymore.
and i don't want to upgrade my comp for a while after this:) and i use it most for games

thank you again. i'm looking forward to playing Gothic 3

Back
Top Bottom