Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’

Well yeah, when I tried reading the Bible, I got into an argument with someone about the following passage :

17“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

At this point you guys are just being dicks. You have no point to make.

If you are actually butthurt about leviticus invent a time machine and go whine about it to bronze age jews, we Christians have nothing to do with that.

Proven what? Leviticus has never been applied by any Christian society. It is pathetic to quote it in an argument about the merits of the Christian religion.

At this point you guys are just being dicks. You have no point to make.

If you are actually butthurt about leviticus invent a time machine and go whine about it to bronze age jews, we Christians have nothing to do with that.

Butthurt? No doubt, if we were all catholics, we would have learned to just turn the other cheek.

Proven what? Leviticus has never been applied by any Christian society. It is pathetic to quote it in an argument about the merits of the Christian religion.

Well, that's about the final nail in the coffin of your claims of knowledge on the subject. Google "Evangelicals Leviticus". Try it also with "methodists". The new Testament specifically refers to and maintains some of Leviticus.

Also, I'm not arguing about the merits of Christianity - I'm arguing with the very partial and logically inconsistent interpretation of the Bible, that justifies prejudice.

But those are protestants. They believe in young earth creationism, what else would you expect?

But those are protestants

Yes. And therefore Christians. Which is what we're talking about. Catholics too have complex views on Leviticus - it is not simply dismissed, as you suggest.

And you two denounce mainstream Catholicism anyway, in favour of your own Bishop Williamson flavoured version. All bets are off in terms of what exactly you believe, and how you justify it from the text.

Well yeah, when I tried reading the Bible, I got into an argument with someone about the following passage :

Yes, notice he doesnt say anything about the judgements. Judgements will be passed by God not us.

EDIT: Though some laws were made specifically for living in the wilderness like not eating crustaceans and pigs. I am not convinced we have to follow them.

Yes. And therefore Christians. Which is what we're talking about.

Keep moving the goalposts bro. Last I heard of you you were to put me on ignore. Now you are back at trying to troll and failing spectularly(again).

I won't be held accountable for what protestants do, sorry. You could as well mention "Christian scientists", Rastafaris, Mormons and Jehova's witnesses. They are even wackier.

Leviticus has never been applied by any Christian society.

Google "Evangelicals Leviticus". Try it also with "methodists". The new Testament specifically refers to and maintains some of Leviticus.

But those are protestants.

Yes. And therefore Christians. Which is what we're talking about. Catholics too have complex views on Leviticus - it is not simply dismissed, as you suggest.

Keep moving the goalposts bro.

:wall:

I do keep trying to ignore you, but these other scallywags keep replying to you, so your writings escape the quarantine. :lol:

You do undertand that "applying" is quite different from "quoting", right?

Not that I want to defend the worst of the dumbest of protestants, but do get back to me when they start executing gay people and stoning adulterous women. Until then you are running in circles and not making any point.

But those are protestants. They believe in young earth creationism, what else would you expect?

Simple question for you Fret, Do you believe in or accept the Doctrine of Original Sin which I understand is still part of basic Catholic theology? If you do, could you offer your understanding of it?

Keep moving the goalposts bro. Last I heard of you you were to put me on ignore. Now you are back at trying to troll and failing spectularly(again).

I won't be held accountable for what protestants do, sorry. You could as well mention "Christian scientists", Rastafaris, Mormons and Jehova's witnesses. They are even wackier.

When you are comparing religions there is no way to set a level of wackiness, since you can just wave away any absurdity by saying that your deity did it by some form of supernatural power, aka magic, for some reason of his/it's own. Then it becomes a moot point as to whether Muhammad flying around heaven on a winged horse is more or less absurd than the planet Kolob, the assumption of the virgin Mary, transubstantiation, atonement, …

Simple question for you Fret, Do you believe in or accept the Doctrine of Original Sin which I understand is still part of basic Catholic theology? If you do, could you offer your understanding of it?

Off course I do. This has always been a mainstay in Catholic theology, hundreds of years before protestantism ever came to be. I am far from a theologian, but I could define it in short as our corrupt and fallen nature, a part of all of us that makes us vulnerable to all evil. Only through Christ we can be redeemed from it.

Chesterton used to say that it is the only Christian doctrine that can be easily proven: all one has to do is look around.

Genesis is a beautiful book and contains one of the greatest biblical truths. But believing that we all descend from a man and a woman taken from his rib, who ate a forbidden apple after being tempted by a talking snake… that is for people who cannot understand the meaning of allegory and who have fallen prey to a strange and wicked type of bibliolatry that can make even the most fanatical of muslins blush in shame.

Educated men living in the 4th century could not interpret that text as a historical and scientific document. That so many people do so nowadays is outsdanding.

You do undertand that "applying" is quite different from "quoting", right?
First of all, those Christian groups do "apply" Leviticus - in their theology, in their teachings, as a fundamental part of their understanding of the moral law of God. And so, traditionally, do Catholics.

But you say that you meant "No Christian society has ever applied the death penalties as stipulated by Leviticus."
Not that I want to defend the worst of the dumbest of protestants, but do get back to me when they start executing gay people and stoning adulterous women.
Get back to you when they start?!

Have you ever heard of the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony? Well, among other things, they created their legal code based upon a combination of English civil law and the Mosaic law of Leviticus. The penalty for sodomy, as stipulated by Leviticus, was death. (The Compact, Charter and Laws of the Colony of New Plymouth, Boston - Dutton & Wentworth, 1836)

I expect you have heard of Henry VIII and his six wives. Do you know one of the capital crimes that Anne Boleyn was executed for? Adultery. Adultery was punishable by death in many parts of Catholic Europe for centuries, based upon Leviticus. Wikipedia - Adultery law in Europe

There is another Mosaic crime that was punished with death in Catholic Europe too. Sodomy. Wikipedia - Sodomy laws of United Kingdom

You may also have heard of the Bonfire of the Vanities. This was conducted by Dominican friar Girolamo Savonarola, who declared the city of Florence "New Jerusalem", and burned and executed many people under Levitican law. Wikipedia - Girolamo Savonarola

If you would like to know about some of the Christian churches pushing for a return to Mosaic law today, have a look into Dominion Theology.

Leviticus has never been applied by any Christian society. It is pathetic to quote it in an argument about the merits of the Christian religion.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Oh please. Next you will tell me that the great witch craze during the renaissance was because of leviticus as well? Then do mind telling me why the Church disallowed this kind of thing for over a thousand years.

Medieval European law had its basis on germanic customs and also revisions of old roman law. The death penalty was even applied for common robbery. That was also civil law, not Church law, and only the most ignorant would claim that had anything but a remote relation to leviticus.

Read up on the ordeals, etc. Pick up some good history books. Don't try to discuss subjects which you don't understand.

Back
Top Bottom