Dragon Age 2 - (Legends) News Roundup #9

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Another handful of miscellaneous DA2 or related items.
The main news would be the full release of Dragon Age: Legends, the Facebook game. From the Bio site:
Dragon Age Legends, the new Dragon Age themed Facebook game, is now open to the public. If you didn't get access to the closed beta test, you can now head over to the Dragon Age Legends Facebook Page and start playing now.
Don't forget you can earn 5 Legends items that unlock in Dragon Age II. Head over to Facebook and become Legendary today!
IGN has details of the in-game DA2 items you can unlock with Legends.
Rock, Paper. Shotgun has a Legends impressions article and they aren't impressed. I don't follow Facebook games but I hadn't realised how heavily monetised this is:
Again – the option to pay doesn’t trouble me. Games finding new revenue streams in an increasingly digital age only makes sense. It’s that the game conspires against you in such a way that it’s essentially unavoidable which is the problem – all sense of skill and challenge is completely removed, because the game knows full well that you’re going to need a crapload of potions and mates to survive battles against stuff like wolves that can attack three times per turn. If levelling up wasn’t so glacially slow maybe I’d be bothered less too, but the trouble is there’s so little meaningful sense of progression. Excitements seem few and far between. It’s a straight grind, a horribly futile timesink with tedious, repetitive combat, and it expects you to pay for the privilege. ‘Microtransactions’, we’re told. Does this look like micro to you?
For reference, summoning a colleague back to the fight before his 2 hour recharge time is up costs 19 crowns (and will result in the next wait becoming 5 hours). So, for three times as much as buying a copy of Dragon Age II, I can buy enough crowns to respawn party members 315 times. That sounds like a big number. It isn’t. Factoring in the Energy required to play (29 crowns for 5 units of it, which is enough for one more battle, or very occasional two) as well, I suspect that wouldn’t get me much more than a week or two of not particularly intensive Facebook gaming. That is a guess, but I’m pretty convinced the sum total is nowhere near what you’d get for buying three traditional games (and especially RPGs).
The alternative to buying respawns, by the way, is to invite your friends to play. Each one who accepts becomes a usable party member, subject to the same one-shot and recharge/pay system as the standard characters. Invite enough people and perhaps you’d have enough fighters slowly recharging in the background to avoid having to pay for respawns. It is a social game, after all, although there’s no real element of playing together. It was fun to watch a little cartoon dude called Dan Griliopoulos get killed by a werewolf thing, but he had nothing to do with it. Do I want to spam all my friends into joining and then start suckling on the money-teat themselves in the name of my grinding onwards? I really don’t.
Back to DA2. Eurogamer has one of their console Face-Off articles if you're worried about which console version looks slightly better than the other.
Quarter to Three has the first of a 9-part game diary, with the author obsessed with dual-wielding:
I was wary when I first played the Dragon Age 2 demo, as the only dual wield option in the game is the rogue. I can grudgingly accept that this makes sense given the three class system, but I don’t have to like looking like a malnourished acrobat. This isn’t your high school D&D rogue though. This rogue dual wields massive imitation Klingon Bat’leths, warps behind enemies for the perfunctory backstab, and every so often runs up to a foe, pirouettes, and stabs both blades into his chest in a massive explosion of blood and guts. You can probably see why I got over my misgivings and decided this new rogue was fine by me. I also chose to stick with the PC version, as clicking the ‘A’ button as fast as humanly possible just to auto-attack on the console sounded like a terrible way to relax.
More information.

Facebook games... yeah... you don't want to go there.

So now that the Facebook "game" is out, can we get the toolset published for modders to use?

They have hinted that the toolset, if it ever comes, will be months out.

What or who is Ponzi ?

Ah, thanks.
I realized that I knew it under a different name, I think.

Back
Top Bottom