Best version of Windows Vista?

So you're basically saying that it's not possible to do major upgrades with OEM Vista because it thinks you're installing it on a different computer?? That would make it pretty much useless for an enthusiast who upgrades often!

Yeah pretty much, it's okay if you only change minor things such as hard disk or memory. But still it's not as simple as that. Once a computer shop owner told me he successfully re-activated a Vista OEM copy after major hardware changes because on other side of the phone (our local Microsoft) was handled by pre-programmed question/answering guide. You just need to select correct options during the activation process (press "x" for option "B", etc). That sound funny and i can't verify it's true or not.

Last edited:
I'm a Microsoft OEM partner (although I left IT some time back). I've not dealt with Vista but used other OEM products for many years. So, assuming the rules are the same...

Yes, the license is tied to the original hardware (the definition varies with the circumstance). Yes, that can make it a pain for a hardcore upgrader. While I don't agree with Microsoft's licensing rules, you are accepting a discount in return for a more limited license.

Yes, you can re-activate...but you may need to push hard/say the right things. We routinely had to re-activate OEM Windows when we did service jobs (from a reinstall to replacing a dead mobo). A major change might require us to do some justification (the repair required a significant change because the original mobo/CPU type is no longer available - always a "repair" - never an "upgrade") and very occasionally, we needed to ask for supervisors and stand our ground. Never failed for us but could be a pain, especially if the client had already stuffed around with previous activations.

The situation is a bit different in Germany. MS lost a law suit. Since then OEM software can legally be unbundled. Now MS is selling "System Builder Edition(s)" (SBEs). They are official full versions with hologram and disk, but come without documentation and support.

Back
Top Bottom