Witcher 2 Witcher 2 MODS

The Witcher 2
D

DArtagnan

I absolutely HATE when games have needlessly limited inventory - or a lack of ways to deal with it. For some reason, there's no "storage" option in TW2 - and until they implement that or something similar - I've decided to play with the following mod:

http://gamemodscore.org/showthread.php/395-Zero-Item-Weight-Mod

Basically, it makes it so that all items weigh "0" - and you effectively have unlimited inventory capacity.

It's like Gothic.

At first, I felt a little like cheating - and I'm really puzzled as to why they didn't just use the "Inn Storage" feature from the first game. But, the more I play with this mod - the more natural it feels. Just like Gothic, it just feels right to me - that I don't have to constantly juggle items in inventory and leave interesting stuff behind.

I'd still prefer a non-cheating way - but I highly recommend this, until they (potentially) come up with a fix.

I don't peronally mind inventory management. But I do wish they had made the trade interface a bit more intuitive and appealing. And I agree, the Inn storage thing, though somewhat nonsensicalf rom a realism perspective, was a handy compromise.

I don't peronally mind inventory management. But I do wish they had made the trade interface a bit more intuitive and appealing. And I agree, the Inn storage thing, though somewhat nonsensicalf rom a realism perspective, was a handy compromise.

But dragging 3 full suit of armor and 10 swords , is also not realistic.

I think storage would be just fine :)

But dragging 3 full suit of armor and 10 swords , is also not realistic.
There is that, yeah. And dragging an Ox-cart around wherever you go, would probably be... inappropriate :D

True enough, but as a developer - you have to make a choice between realism as it supports gameplay, or full realism in a game where it makes sense.

In terms of full realism - there's no way Geralt would be able to carry several suits of armor and dozens of weapons - on top of all the potions/traps/books/ingredients/etc. It makes no sense.

So, if they were aiming for full realism - they should have dealt with loot in an entirely different way.

Therefore, I assume they wanted a compromise between realism and playability - and that's why I think it's vital to be able to store loot in a reasonably convenient way. The "Inn Storage" is a fine solution - and another would be some kind of pack horse or whatever.

Otherwise, you end up being constantly frustrated when having to decide what to take with you, and what to leave behind. Especially because you have no way of knowing what you'll need for crafting in the future.

I had a similar issue with TW1 - where the inventory was WAY too limited, compared to the amount of crap you found.

The Gothic way works perfectly for me, but the game would have to be designed for that to feel right.

There are some areas where TW2 is clunky and somewhat amateur, and this is one of them. TW1 was worse - but at least it had the Inn Storage - which somewhat evens it out.

Last edited:
0 weight on all items? It's a cheat.

Ppl honestly I don't see the reason for that. I've already posted somewhere, don't hold many items of the same type. Iron ore and leather are heavy stuff available for some cheap money in shops (and shops restock every 24 hours, just meditate in another area). And you really won't have a money problem anywhere.

Another stuff to collect and sell ASAP are lesser and normal mutagens. Your aim should be greater mutagens.
Then trophies. As soon as you get another (better) one, sell others.
Some won't use knives at all (just like I didn't) so sell them. If you went to the magic path, why are you keeping traps in inventory?

I really didn't have any weight problems anywhere with 250 max weight.

Are there items that you shouldn't sell? Yes there are!
Silver ore and meteorite stones (yellow, red and blue) - do not sell those! Crafted equipment is better than items you loot. Also keep quest items, you never know when will you use those.
Books? Keep them. When you're about to buy new ones (and those are not cheap) you'll see if you already have that particular book in inventory. And their wight is already 0.

While looting mobs avoid collecting too much of items with weight higher than 0.1. ;)

I agree it's a cheat, but I also have to scratch my head at CD Projekt's decision not to include anywhere to store inventory.

It just doesn't make any sense. Especially since it was such a well known complaint about the first game. Although at least TW1 did have one tavern in most of the chapters where you could store things.

I mean seriously… how hard would it have been to implement the ability to put stuff in chests? We've been able to do that in most crpgs since the days of Baldur's Gate!

The weight/inventory design is a mess - and it's obvious they're not truly happy with it, given their own comments.

Until they implement a solid solution, I have no problem cheating my way around it.

They can't expect the player to know what resources will be available in the game, later on, without having played it through once.

For the second playthrough, I can probably do without it - but until that time, I like to keep all of potential value.

They can't expect the player to know what resources will be available in the game, later on, without having played it through once.
Well, this thing holds a water. You can't know.

But when you see that leather, iron and cloth is lootable around about every corner... And silver ore is a rare stuff needed to craft swords...
And there is no NPC that collects trophies like in TW1... ;)

Well, this thing holds a water. You can't know.

But when you see that leather, iron and cloth is lootable around about every corner… And silver ore is a rare stuff needed to craft swords…
And there is no NPC that collects trophies like in TW1… ;)

Again, such a thing requires a playthrough. I don't want to "expect" to not need a bunch of leather or ore - only to find some super crafting diagram that requires a ton, late-game.

You can defend it as much as you want, but I don't think you'll get far. They simply messed up with this aspect.

Thankfully, the game is still fantastic.

Let me know if you find one that increases the size or changes the color of the QTE buttons. I can barely see those suckers :) I'm already using the weightless item mod. That was a no brainer. I'm a hoarder, so I collect everything.

I'm also playing Geralt as a guy who's tired of fighting and just wants to settle down with Triss somewhere in retirement. I mean the dude looks old and tired, so I'm playing him that way. He needs every dime he can get, though he won't take money from the poor. I try to gouge merchants and politicians where possible :)

Let me know if you find one that increases the size or changes the color of the QTE buttons. I can barely see those suckers :)

Can you post a screenshot please? I don't have any problems with seem them at all. Also i have not read anyone else having issue with seeing them. However i am not big fan of QTE when they are forced upon me since my reflexes suck! I did like QTE event in arm wrestling etc.

i've been struggling with it as well. you can drop loot for a while but after a certain amount of time or map loading i'm not sure--it disapears. traps though are kind of an anomoly as you can set traps rather than store them or sell them in you're inventory. also its kind of funny to see the damage counter pop up when you're way on the otherside of the forest (ch1 still for me).

in my view what they should do is instead of inns they should give crafters a place where you can store inventory as the items needed for crafting, not so much alchemy, take up by far the most space.

basically though the local way around it without cheating is to drop some heavy stuff at the front of the area you are in and then on your way out pick it up and walk back to whereever and sort through it all at that point no sacrificing items or your combat skills.

while the mod seems helpful i loathe having to implement a mod on a first playthrough and never even used one period on any of the first witcher playthroughs. honestly this is a small issue for me compared to the insane headache of getting to start the game in the first place.

spend $130 and then get a game with CRC errors which requires loading on another computer and then copying back to get it to install. then having the bloody thing not activate properly or register. easyily the worst game install nightmare for me ever!

Getting back to the bigger font mod: it works pretty well with only some text overlapping (that was too small to read, anyway) and some getting cut off. It's not game-breaking and I don't have to squint all the time now.

btw if some1 is interested Bigger font mod (may have bugs, was made for self-use).

http://www.mediafire.com/?fnkhn7i9rk9v9g1

Put it on: (backup default one)
The Witcher 2\CookedPC\globals\gui\fonts

Bigger fonts, biggest possible i think without destroying the whole text (its still a little cut on really long name items b4 looting, but apart from that i think its fine).

Link to forum post

I also cant imagine why there is no storage and such a low inventory limit with no backpack upgrades. Poor desicion and I too have been using the weightless inventory mod, there are already several small mods that fix the game dramatically for me and make it more fun. It also makes me realize how needlessly masochistic TW2 is. Im all for challenge, so long as it makes sense, not when its there just to annoy people.

Dunno about you but I've just visited TW site and ppl claim these quests should be fixed:
- Melitele amulet (something like that, I think I didn't spell this correctly, but you don't receive it in ch1 although you should)
- Troll head (Troll DLC, can't get the head if you took another prize before you knew about this quest, and you need the troll tongue)
- Ostmurk (if you visit the cave before you knew Ostmurk is there, quest stops)

So I went on GOG and there are mods that fix first two things. In fact mods add needed items in chapter 2 shops. In case you need them… ;)
However the patch will be out soon (tomorrow?) and probably those things will get fixed with it.

Panel Tweaks - Better Item Sorting and Filters

This mod introduces "miscellaneous" (aka junk) category to the inventory and also provides means to sort items alphabetically, by price, by weight or by time acquired and as such removes some of the inventory annoyances.

I think the direct download requires registration, but the author provides alternative link in the "mirrors" panel.

Back
Top Bottom