Wasteland 2 - Post-funding Update #29

If you're a smart developer - you listen well, and you take all constructive criticism into consideration. If you're a good developer, you won't let that feedback cloud your vision or change what you're doing - at the core.

However, you'd have to be a fool to believe what you're doing can't be done better.

As for that UI - it's just not attractive. They chose a bad color, the symbolic icons are ugly - and the font is somewhat hard to read and not appealing to look at. They're wasting an obscene amount of screen space by including names on the character portraits and using text for the over-arching sections (journal, etc.).

While text can be helpful and convenient for that - it takes all of 2 minutes for the average player to tie an icon or a portrait to a function (there aren't that many), and we're talking about hardcore gamers here.

I'd reduce the space taken up by those things by at least 50% - allow for a larger font and just a more practical use of space.

The original Fallout also had an unfortunate tendency to use needlessly large buttons for some things and tiny ones for others. I don't know if they're trying to imitate that - but I don't think it's a good idea.

But, at the end of the day, it's just the UI - and we can probably get around most of these issues easily. The meat of the game lies elsewhere - and I think it's looking great so far.

I agree that the color could be better. But other than that no, I like the names next to the portraits, and I don't want icons for inventory, journal etc. I just think it looks better with text. And as is a think it looks quite functional too.

I like it.

Back
Top Bottom