Gothic - Community Patch Input

Inventory Icons not showing up in the Inventory when you have a certain ATI Radeon series graphics card. Not a game-breaker but a PITA.
This is not exclusive to ATI cards, it happens with nVidia cards as well (at least the 7900 series cards).

Also, regarding the winches, I remember reading about them too, and it was a warning that ALL the winches in G1 were susceptible to get stuck (i.e. get bugged) seemingly at random and not work at all. Never had that happen to me, though.

let's put it this way: they wanna work on a mod, but they're trying to sell it as a patch (latest trend, go wonder), so they are asking people to find bugs in a game that has virtually none in its current state, so the're trying to convince people that the definition of bug is "something the average player might have not liked".
pheeeewww. is that really worth the trouble???

alright, there's a possibility of messing up the winch - bug. but certain npcs lacking proper ai in a bunch of circumstances are simply a limit of a game that's made its time (yet still stands up way better than many others).

so what do you wanna mod, after all, since there's nought to patch?
________
Ebony Oral Creampie

Last edited:
Gothic is still quite a buggy game. We had at least a thousand people on the RPGDot forum who had one of the (I think the correct number was) three big problems and were unable to finish the game without help.

Gothic is still quite a buggy game. We had at least a thousand people on the RPGDot forum who had one of the (I think the correct number was) three big problems and were unable to finish the game without help.

I wonder if most of those people had it patched to the final version? I probably have at least 200 hours playing time in Gothic, and I can honestly say I never encountered a major bug.

The only thing I ever experienced that might be considered a bug was Gorn attacking me outside the free mine after the attack by the Old Camp. Iirc though, that was triggered by looting the bodies of the dead from the New Camp who were killed in the attack.

Of course their games were patched correctly.

Well then obviously you are completely qualified to cast dispersions. :)

I think it is beyond doubt that *any* modding group receives more reputation by what it does. If it's good, then the better.

I have read several reports/articles mentioning people who came from a modding group and then took a job in a serious game-developing company. ANY modding they can refer to in their job application will lead to a nod by the employers. The more, if it is a well-known mod, wich has gained respect and popularity among gamers.

Gorath said -->

I distinctly remember Goraths most famous rpgdot 'carved in stone' phrase when answering some technical G1 problems -->

"you've got an office machine" :lol::lol::lol:

The Gorn in the free mine situation is intentional and very, very relevant (providing you understand what is required) It isn't a bug, though i agree it certainly looks like one to the many G1 players.
Care to elaborate?
I distinctly remember Goraths most famous rpgdot 'carved in stone' phrase when answering some technical G1 problems -->

:lol::lol::lol:

Re: Care to elaborate?

Now that would be difficult, it would need the understanding of extreme overlapping quest logic complexities (consequences) culminating into one solution, far beyond even the most advanced gamer's comprehension.

Pffft.... whatever Obi-Wulf-Kenobi! You're just being lazy. :rofl:

Personally I'm with JDR - I never experienced any major bugs or problems with Gothic beyond a few CTDs.

Now Gothic 2 on the other hand.... Hey, Wulf, remember my problem with the dragons disappearing completely? Wow, that was crazy. Couldn't have finished the game without your help!

Something I'd really like to see someday? A graphical overhaul for the first two Gothic games. It would be so awesome if someone re-made them using an updated engine.

That's right Grasshopper Jabberwocky. There was nothing missing and G2 played correctly, the dragons were invisible due to the Ati graphics card. With G1 there was the Ati patch for certain models.

My view is that even with fixes and updates for G1, someone somewhere will still have problems due to there own pc set-up or configuration and in some cases the extreme way some gamers butchered their way through the game and did not go with the quest flow causing severe game save problems. Also, many gamers used the marvin console incorrectly with code trails filtering to the saved games. Arguably no patch in the world could fix this player oriented problem.

In my opinion, the bug in the mine is fairly simple:
If an enemy hits the player with a crossbow bolt, Gorn will think the player attacked him with the bolt (for some reason). Then he'll smack the player and warn him never to do it again.

I have tested this extensively, and the trigger is always the same. Get hit by an enemy bolt when Gorn is present, and he'll attack you if he's not busy fighting an enemy already. It's got nothing to do with whether you are using a crossbow yourself, or whether you actually hit Gorn with anything.

Last edited:
Personally I'm with JDR - I never experienced any major bugs or problems with Gothic beyond a few CTDs.

I never had problems with either - but since I was late to both, actually playing G2 first, I don't have that first-hand launch experience.

Yes, I used this phrase quite often. Onboard graphics chips were absolutely terrrible back then. All of them.

I still fondly remember how I could correctly answer to 15 random forum topics with a total of less than 100 words. ;)

Back
Top Bottom