What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The Martian was awesome. I now want to play the new PC space sim/survival/builder game Empyrion Galactic Survival (now only in early access but supposedly stable enough and full featured enough to be very fun by all reports) just so I can pretend I'm stranded on a planet and have to use my brains to get the hell off of there…only to land on much harsher nearby worlds including a lava planet that few survive on.

Mission Impossible 5 (Rogue)

Really? That's how we should play games? With that junk in hands?

1/10
Avoid at all costs.

Overall the movie is pretty good, but don't ever expect me to forgive that scene. I wish I never saw it.

And while I'll skip Star Wars 7 (didn't watch 2 and 3 ever) just because…

Can't wait for this sequel:

And especially, this sequel:

Last edited:
The Martian 0/10

I am sure they have done this movie the last few years, people or person stuck in space. I fast forward most of it.

Sicario 7ish/10.

Entertaining movie with not many surprises. Just makes you think how bad the world of drugs really is. How many sick worthless people we are forced to share this planet with.

Over the last month I've watched 2 since-Hollywood Jackie Chan movies per week, having purchased a load of them dirt cheap on ebay.

Jackie Chan, for those that don't know, was a cult favourite in the west in the late 1980s, early 1990s for supplying surprisingly entertaining action adventure martial arts movies. Cult because they were all foreign language films and often quite hard to get hold of some of the titles. He was billed as Bruce Lee with comedy, his moves being more about the speed and inventiveness than about crushing opposition.

After moving to Hollywood the main problem was not Jackie Chan's weak english, his english was actually very serviceable, the problem was finding western actors who could keep up with his hyperactive style of action. The end result is that a lot of his movies are cast partly oriental and partly Hollywood, leaving you in a bit of a bind when it came to sorting out the language preferences. For most of them I have chosen to watch with no dubbing, if possible, and no subtitles, if possible, even if this meant not understanding some of the oriental dialogues. Most of the time even the oriental parts will suddenly revert to speaking english anyway, it just depended on who was playing what part.

So I saw:

Who Am I?
The Medallion
The Accidental Spy
Gorgeous
Shanghai Knights
Rush Hour

And they're all pretty much of a muchness. Much like the earlier cult movies the only really good parts are the scenes with Jackie Chan being either funny or in action-mode while the rest of the movie is somewhat headache inducing nonsense. The co-stars are, likewise, often likable and entertaining, but mostly trapped inside lack-lustre unoriginal scripts. Gorgeous tries to be a bit different, but just ends up being a Pretty Woman plot.

But Chan is just so likable. He's probably the most likable person the movie industry has ever produced. Even when I was bored out my brain by one of them I was still a Chan fanboy, happily waiting for the next classic Chan seen. Maybe one day in the future on-line dictionaries will have 'Chan-like' as a synonym for 'likable'. I just can't hate any of his movies. I can't love any of them either though. And this has been the case regardless of whether his movies are the original classics, the early Hollywood, or the conventional Hollywood. 3/5 the lot of them, maybe squeeze a 3.5 out of some if the supporting cast is particularly enjoyable for your tastes.

Star Wars, TFA, 4/10 huge disappointment. I commented about why in the dedicated thread.

Last edited:
Here's list of movies which score equal/better than 3.0 after thousands of votes on IMDB:

The Neverending Story III (1994) - 3.1
Jem and the Holograms (2015) - 3.4
Dirty Movie (2011) - 3.0
The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence) (2015) - 3.0
The Honeymooners (2005) - 3.0
Smokey and the Bandit Part 3 (1983) - 3.2

Some listed reasons include: Migraine inducing boredom, one of the biggest stinkers ever produced by a major studio, Why?, one of the worst excuses for a movie that I have ever seen, Truly Outrageous, I don't understand why they bothered to make this one.

Now, call me out for not allowing someone their opinion, heck we've see some classic 'opinions' in this thread, but you found it so "disappointing" that you consider it on-par with the movies above? I guess it begs the question, just what on earth were you expecting?

Here's list of movies which score equal/better than 3.0 after thousands of votes on IMDB:

The Neverending Story III (1994) - 3.1
Jem and the Holograms (2015) - 3.4
Dirty Movie (2011) - 3.0
The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence) (2015) - 3.0
The Honeymooners (2005) - 3.0
Smokey and the Bandit Part 3 (1983) - 3.2

Some listed reasons include: Migraine inducing boredom, one of the biggest stinkers ever produced by a major studio, Why?, one of the worst excuses for a movie that I have ever seen, Truly Outrageous, I don't understand why they bothered to make this one.

Now, call me out for not allowing someone their opinion, heck we've see some classic 'opinions' in this thread, but you found it so "disappointing" that you consider it on-par with the movies above? I guess it begs the question, just what on earth were you expecting?

Well, I was foolish enough to hope that there would be at least one original though or innovation in the entire movie.

Okay a clone stormtrooper "suddenly" turning good might be something that could classify as innovative, but the entire idea and concept and idea was just too stupid and also horrible executed.

I was foolish enough to expect that the "quotes" in the trailer actually was something from the movie. The dialogue and voice acting in the trailer was better than anything in the entire movie!

I was expecting that the original cast was in the movie for the cash and I was right. I haven't seen more uninspired acting by them than in this movie.

I did not think they'd remove the entire foundation of the Star Wars movies, they have always been about needing a mentor and guide to become a Jedi, but Rey just magically evolves by herself without any mentor, completely ridicules.

I was not expecting no meaningful dialogue between any of the characters expect stupid one liners.

I was not expecting the new Sith to be taken out of a comedy movie, compared to Darth Vader or even Darth Maul or Count Doku, he is such a complete comedy joke of a character.

In short, I forgot that it would be directed by JJ Abrams that was my mistake.

I could go on much longer. But there are some reasons for you. Those other movies, I have not seen so I cannot comment on them. Now if there were not a series of six other movies and a legacy to respect, this movie could have gotten a better rating. If it was a original plot and not just copy paste from the earlier manuscript, than yes it would feel original and could be rated higher. But you have to count on the fact that most people who watch this have seen the earlier movies, and they'll know exactly what will happen in every single scene.

imdb is just as trustworthy as metacritic's user side.
Example: Donnie Darko almost 10/10? To me it's barely 2/10 and only because Drew Barrymore squeezes juicy "fuck" word - otherwise it'd be easily 1/10.

"reviewers" on IMDB are placing stars randomly without first determining what each star stands for. Usually when a movie premiere is on some festival, first you see about a dozen of 10/10 from people who's criteria is obviously facebook like style and since they won't write about something they don't like nor can dislike something on facebook, it's full scale movie for them.

Don't put any thought into it ... 3/10 is a 'joke' score, but in this case not 'funny' but rather sad and pathetic, and says more about the person than the movie.

I mean, people are certainly entitled to their opinions - we have people on this forum who would rate Baldur's Gate II as a 3/10, Gothic 2 Gold or Divine Divinity or Dragon Age or Skyrim as a 3/10 ...

Yeah, sure, fine, whatever.

My biggest concern with all of the people who are clearly 'haters', who had no intention of liking the movie unless it FORCED them to like it ... Is that they didn't ruin the experience for anyone else.

I seriously hope that GG just shut the fuck up the whole movie, so that the 99% of people who thought it was a really good movie weren't hassled by her and whomever she went with. Nothing worse than an a$$hat doing commentary to show oh-how-superior they are while you try to enjoy a movie.

Sorry - it was nonsense when people did this in 1980, and it is nonsense now.

we have people on this forum who would rate Baldur's Gate II as a 3/10
This is not true.

We have only people who'll give BG2 much more than that and definelty not below 5 even if they tried to number all "negatives" they had while playing it.
That includes me, I'll always give it a high score.

And then we have one person who'll put 1/10 to BG2:EE because phones. Just one person. 1/10, not 3/10, 3 is too much.

oooooohhh, don't you worry joxer, when I said there had been lots of 'classic opinions' on this thread I can assure you that a lot came from you ;) The difference is we all know you're a bit of a loon with over-dramatic irrational biases so nobody bothers debating you when you mark MI5 1/10, it's just like, oh look there's joxer doing his thing again.

I thought GG had more class than irrational overreaction, I have now learned that she's kind of a half-joxer, so I don't need to question her posts again, I can just lol@GG, like I do with you.

@GG - no original ideas? What about the Stormtrooper who… oh, you register that as original, but, oh, wait, a new completely different point, now it's 'stupid' original - well that's completely wasted the first two paragraphs of your post.

The acting was fine, I honestly don't know why you felt the acting was bad. It's not Godfather level of character acting, but it's not stilted and wooden and no-one ever goes out of character. Some of the cameos might feel a bit shoe-horned, but I don't consider any of the leads to be immersion-breakingly bad. 'Opinions' you might say, well, I dunno, wooden acting is normally obvious, and it's not obvious here. You could accuse any movie of that and claim 'opinions'.

The issue of Rey becoming at one with the force too quickly is a discussion point, not a plot-hole. If you are angry about it instead of intrigued then you've simply missed the point, that's not a major movie flaw, at best that can be a minor nit-pick.

You were expecting meaningful dialogue in a Star Wars movie? Which episode gave you that expectation?

The new bad guy is what he is, part-joke, part psychopath, I bet you don't mind when the Joker's like that. Oh, you meant joke as in not big-baddy enough for you. I guess that's the problem they face when they do something… ORIGINAL.

You forgot it was directed by JJ Abrams? YEAH… RIGHT…

Don't put any thought into it … 3/10 is a 'joke' score, but in this case not 'funny' but rather sad and pathetic, and says more about the person than the movie.

I mean, people are certainly entitled to their opinions - we have people on this forum who would rate Baldur's Gate II as a 3/10, Gothic 2 Gold or Divine Divinity or Dragon Age or Skyrim as a 3/10 …

Yeah, sure, fine, whatever.

My biggest concern with all of the people who are clearly 'haters', who had no intention of liking the movie unless it FORCED them to like it … Is that they didn't ruin the experience for anyone else.

I seriously hope that GG just shut the fuck up the whole movie, so that the 99% of people who thought it was a really good movie weren't hassled by her and whomever she went with. Nothing worse than an a$$hat doing commentary to show oh-how-superior they are while you try to enjoy a movie.

Sorry - it was nonsense when people did this in 1980, and it is nonsense now.

Well, I happen to love all the other Star Wars movies ( well clone wars not so much ), I am not going to sit quietly and say nothing when Disney / JJ Abrams tears it apart in every single way possible. How about coming up with some counter argument / reasons it is good, instead of personal attacks, which is just plain childish and brings absolutely nothing to the discussion. If you think 99% of the people thinks it was a really good movie.. well, on this forum not.. even on IMDB not, you'll see that 2.1% ( which is more than 1%) actually gave it 1 / 10, which is much lower than me. 14 % gave it 7 or lower, so your 99% is like the rest of your post BS.

oooooohhh, don't you worry joxer, when I said there had been lots of 'classic opinions' on this thread I can assure you that a lot came from you ;) The difference is we all know you're a bit of a loon with over-dramatic irrational biases so nobody bothers debating you when you mark MI5 1/10, it's just like, oh look there's joxer doing his thing again.
The old story:
You milk the cow and fill the bucket and you can't wait to taste the fresh milk and then she kicks the bucket and spills all the milk. On 1-10 scale, how would you rate that cow?
I've included exactly the kick moment of MI5. 1/10 on my side - as it's not a movie that's 21+ but contains mushrooms advertisment aimed to youngsters. They could hide the input method from the scene instead of making it disgusting and "gameruiner" for me. They just had to sell the scene to the highest bidder.

Well, I happen to love all the other Star Wars movies ( well clone wars not so much ), I am not going to sit quietly and say nothing when Disney / JJ Abrams tears it apart in every single way possible. How about coming up with some counter argument / reasons it is good, instead of personal attacks, which is just plain childish and brings absolutely nothing to the discussion. If you think 99% of the people thinks it was a really good movie.. well, on this forum not.. even on IMDB not, you'll see that 2.1% ( which is more than 1%) actually gave it 1 / 10, which is much lower than me. 14 % gave it 7 or lower, so your 99% is like the rest of your post BS.

Because it is not worth it ... You had your score decided before entering the theater, and just got your oh-so-superior confirmation bias. Enjoy.

Because it is not worth it … You had your score decided before entering the theater, and just got your oh-so-superior confirmation bias. Enjoy.

That is just so wrong.

If anything, I might have had my expectations too high, that was probably the problem, because I got all the more disappointed. I had already seen the reviews and very few places gave it less than 8/10. I guess it had gotten lukewarm reviews I would have went in and expected less.

I guess maybe you saw it before reading any reviews and didn't have such a high expectations though. Or you read the reviews first and went in with the mindset it must be good. I do not know which one.

Also, I know other Star Wars fans and this is really the kind of movie you either love or hate.. most of them love it, but the rest hates it.

I guess it all depends on what you wanted. If you wanted more of exactly the same as the first three movies leaning much more towards a parady/comedy, and with almost everything being a bit lower quality, and lacking the surprises and uniqueness they had when they came, in that case you'll be really satisfied, if you were expecting something else like me, then you'll hate it. I already admitted to being foolish though, I should have known the moment they announced the director what it would be. But after some of the reviews I had some hope…

I thought Star Trek Into Darkness was on the edge of terrible. Can't wait to NOT see the followup :p Would rather see the new Star Wars movie…and I hate Star Wars.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom