Kickstarter: Re-release of the old FMV Sherlock Holmes games.

Fnord

SasqWatch
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1920171553/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-adventure-mys

I thought that I would bring this to peoples attention, in case there is anyone here who is interested in it. Basically the plan is to re-release ICOM's old Sherlock Holmes FMV games, with far better image quality this time around.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-collection
This is a comparatively smaller kickstarter than many of the other ones, though they have said that if they get enough money, they will create new episodes.
I'm a big fan of FMV-games, I like Sherlock Holmes and Shadowgate has been one of the games that influenced me the most during my childhood, so I'll support them.

It seems like everything is possible in these Kickstarter times. Interesting to see when the news value wear off and how it will turn out in the long run.

I'm a big fan of FMV-games, I like Sherlock Holmes and Shadowgate has been one of the games that influenced me the most during my childhood, so I'll support them.

I've never been much into point and click adventure games, but I do remember Shadowgate quite fondly. I actually played the NES version, and it's one of the few games of that style that I enjoyed.

I also recall a game called Deja Vu that was very similar, and I believe it was by the same developers.

I never played Uninvited (I don't think it was released here), but both Deja Vu and Shadowgate were really well made. Tough & unforgiving but unlike many other adventure games from that time, they don't try to make you run into dead ends that forced you to restart the game (it was theoretically possible in Shadowgate, but very unlikely). Shadowgate was actually such a great game that my 6 year old self would sit down and play a game that was mainly about reading and solving tough puzzles (I could at any time have switched over to something more action-oriented, but I did not)

And the death music was just haunting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1AhSiQeBE

its strongly suggested by many that this was a failure.

While that kickstarter sadly did not go so well, the company has announced something very interesting. A 25th anniversary edition of Shadowgate, with some new puzzles and updated artwork. While I would love to see a new Shadowgate being released, I found the original game to be so good that this announcement got me all excited.

http://www.zojoi.com/adventures.htm

Thanks for posting that link. I haven't played anything from the adventure genre in a long time, but I would definitely be interested in a Shadowgate remake.

So when a kickstarter doesn't reach its goal, what happens to the money that was pledged?

No money gets transferred from your account until the kickstarter is finished (though it might be reserved, I did not check).

I think Amazon payments makes an inquiry when you pledge but money from my account has never been reserved until projects have closed succesfully - though that may have something to do with how my bank treats inquiries and pending transactions so YMMV. As Fnord said you are not actually charged until the kickstarter concludes and ONLY if it concludes succesfully. Until then you have the option to raise, lower, or cancel your pledge without any actual money changing hands and if the project fails you are not charged.

The inquiry that occurs upon pledging though might be related to why people using pre-paid credit cards are advised to use cards with about $10 greater value than their pledge ammount.

Back
Top Bottom