Dead State - Interview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

And again, with a consumer being able to buy the game after it's released, how does an individual get kickstarter fatigue? It's not like pledging is the only possible way of obtaining the game, or that you *have* to get on the train.

Kickstarter isn't about buying games. It's about supporting developers by financing them. You get "kickstarter fatigue" the same way people get feed up about charity campaigns. At some point there is too many of them and you can't afford to support them all.

I would understand this if people were calling you at home or otherwise bothering you to support their campaigns.

I can't afford to support them all either. Why would this fatigue me in any way if it means that there may be another great game coming down the line (and me being able to buy it at a later time), if other people manage to fund it?

I think X-com, which is isometric and turn based, has lots of tension. Perhaps it boils down to what you find as tense. I'm just not startled by things jumping out at me from around corners anymore. Jason popping up out of a lake or whatever in his hockey mask in a Friday the 13th flick just doesn't do it for me anymore, while a slow build through engaging narrative and characterization, like, say, Rosemary's Baby, I find much more tense.

(I know those movie examples are old. Cut me a break; I'm almost 40. :p And does Hollywood make anything that isn't a CGI-extravaganza comic-book movie? Oh, OK, how about Drive? There's a modern example of a slow burn that's still quite tense. Cool flick.)

I agree there was plenty of tension in XCOM. When you have used up your action points and you helplessly watch some alien pop out and decimate your squad. TB isometric done right can be very tense.

Perhaps it boils down to what you find as tense. I'm just not startled by things jumping out at me from around corners anymore. Jason popping up out of a lake or whatever in his hockey mask in a Friday the 13th flick just doesn't do it for me anymore, while a slow build through engaging narrative and characterization, like, say, Rosemary's Baby, I find much more tense.

The designer wants the game to be zombi old school: about survival. Tension should come from survival ordeals, from jeopardizing the life of members of the shelter, being surprised by new zombies showing up on the field, endangering members, missions that should be led to ensure survival, who to send, who to risk, who to kill.

Survival tension. Not story built or horror built tension.

Exactly.

Playing ToEE, enter the room with the Ogre, I'm caught out of position with my mage too close. Combat starts, the stack shows I've got one party member who gets an action, then the Ogre is next - he'll smash my mage.

What can my rogue do to save the mage with only one attack? I'm sweating bullets -- and nothing has happened yet.

The designer wants the game to be zombi old school: about survival. Tension should come from survival ordeals, from jeopardizing the life of members of the shelter, being surprised by new zombies showing up on the field, endangering members, missions that should be led to ensure survival, who to send, who to risk, who to kill.

I do get it and am looking forward to it. I was just talking at that point about my stupid movie analogy. :p

I think kickstarter is the best thing to happen to PC gaming in the last 5 to 10 years. It brings back passion and creativity rather then sales qouta's. Even if you only give 15 dollars and get a game out of it you are actually doing better then buying a game off the shelf...I have personally done 10 games so far.

all of those are good examples but i still think the primary tension in this game will be from the choices and long term survival. sure there will be events that happen in combat or otherwise that will cause it but the tactical decision making will be a calculated one rather than an "oh crap" what do i do now response.

movies all take place in realtime even if its a documentary on still life. turn based gives you all the time in the world to think stuff out, in addition an isometric view is always a "god role" where it simply can't have the same level of intensity as a 1st person or limited third. stuff can still happen to suprise you but a game like this would probably suffer somewhat from that perspective in it would force the individualist narrow survival responses rather than a group/god mentality. both have there strengths and i will agree that most games would be better off stick to one or the other.

of course i'd never turn my nose up at one that tried as for me dead island is the closest to this, as even though there weren't alot of huge choices and consequences in that game, helping people in it did fit the storyline well, though it was primarly a hackfest, it to this date is probably the best zombie survival game i've played. simple things matter too as with deteriorating weapons in that game it would be a whole different ball game.

this will be my third kickstarter game and probably my last, but only due to lack of interest in others. sadly this was the only one i really wanted badly but it seems to have the worst pledge levels. i'll probably toss in $30, even though the soundtrack is not really worth the extra $15 to me.

…as for me dead island … to this date is probably the best zombie survival game i've played.

Might I be so bold as to suggest Project Zomboid or Fort Zombie? Perhaps this is a bad suggestion for you, as you've said how important the first person perspective is for your feeling of immersion, and I can appreciate that. But, if you could manage to look past that, I think you'd find a much better zombie-survival vibe in either one of those games.

But I'd certainly understand if you couldn't. You certainly wouldn't be alone. I've read lots.of people bashing Fort Zombie, in particular, but I think it's fun. The controls are wonky as hell, but you get used to them. Both games are third person and have relatively rudimentary graphics. But I think you'd find some real similarities between the concepts in Fort Zombie, in particular, and Dead State, especially with the shelter-management stuff, although I hope -- and expect -- Dead State will do them better..

Two good indie games, in my opinion, that take larger strides toward being a zombie*survival game than Dead Island.

all of those are good examples but i still think the primary tension in this game will be from the choices and long term survival. sure there will be events that happen in combat or otherwise that will cause it but the tactical decision making will be a calculated one rather than an "oh crap" what do i do now response.

Long term and survival exclude themselves.

Survival is a struggle against a short term unit. As soon as you are able to think long term, you no longer struggle for survival.

You have a back pack. The back pack contains enough food and water for four days. That is the short term unit: you have four days to find ways to fill up the back pack.

As soon as you accumulate like ten times the content of the backpack, logics of survival is changed in something.

This game can be an oddity if the developpers go for a survival game because they will have to go against a player common demand: usually, most players do not want to survive in a game universe, they want to dominate it.
They want to start small and later grow in the dominant force, they want to be beyond survival in the middle-later stages, through hoarding various resources, money, weapons, character's skills etc

I wonder if the developper will go for a lost cause approach, when your best gain is living one day more or a king of the hill approach and answer to the player's expectation of power, allowing to grow into a powerhouse in a world filled with zombies.

Another question is whether you will be able to think long term "survival" through multiple playthroughs. You know the ropes. Will the game allow to project oneself up enough to remove survival and will the means of survival be uncertain enough that through knowledge of the game, you can not be sure that when chosing this or that, you will get what you want?

Will the game universe renew itself enough that you will be given no guarantee when selecting a means of killing zombies, a new member of the group etc or will you be able to think the game globally, with patterns like "okay, I know that this means will not be that useful at this stage of the game, but it will pay off big time in the later stages"?

Very curious to see the end product. A funding means like kickstarter should give the developpers the liberty to developp a survival game as it is prepaid.

Survival is not about being powerful. It is about being vulnerable, with a limited horizon on the future. Players enjoy playing games for power, for growing more and more powerful so here, a tension exists.

If the player and the group can grow powerful then it wont be about survival.

Back
Top Bottom