I am not enjoying Planescape:Torment :(

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs
I created this topic not to criticize, but to try to understand why I'm not enjoying this game that's supposed to be the best Western RPG ever. It was one of two classic masterpieces of Western RPGs that I never played and I decided to play it to make up for that. I was sure I'd love it but it didn't happen. Torment feels like I've been there a lot of times before, so ordinary. I'm not intrigued by the story at all, companions are uninteresting, quests so far are uninteresting, exploring the city is uninteresting. Right now I'm at a point where I entered the Lower Ward for the first time.

But I'd like to love the game. Maybe you could praise it for me guys, point out its best features? I want to appreciate and enjoy it.

The biggest problem with this game is that the starting area is the leadt interesting part of the game. Bad game design!
Stick with it, after you get out of the mortuary things will improve! Explore sigil. Read. Read. Read a lot of the ingame text, believe me, it is worth it.
Once you reach the alley that gives birth you *KNOW* this game is special!

The best game I ever played...
(And i played a lot of games!)

Actually, for me Mortuary was a lot more interesting than the Hive. I'll try to stick with the game, it's just that I can't find anything interesting about it at all, and the text in game doesn't read like a masterpiece of writing to me at all. It's slightly above average in games, but that's about it.

One last advice!
Dont spoil the game for yourself, dont read about the ending ( or the middle), finish a "chapter" and read about it afterwards if you must.

Ok. I admit it, I am a fanboy...
But really, look behind the dated graphics and the mediocre battle system, these things are not important.
I played this game more than 15 years ago and still remember a lot of it. I played dragon age 2, mass effect 1,2,3 (and lots more) a couple of years ago, hardly remember anything about them...

Torment is still the game I enjoyed most!

Btw I enjoyed playing a mage most,
Change your class by visiting a certain lady in the slums, or whatever it was called.

Wis and Int is pretty important in the game.

And dont lose the sphere! Keep it with you till the end!!

Btw I enjoyed playing a mage most,
Change your class by visiting a certain lady in the slums, or whatever it was called.

Wis and Int is pretty important in the game.

And dont lose the sphere! Keep it with you till the end!!
I am a mage with Int and Wis of 18. Or rather now the Wis is 20 thanks to a tattoo.

The sphere? If you're speaking about a bronze sphere, we gave it away to what's-his-name-was... the guy who got killed in a cutscene later. *strains her memory* Pharod!!

Yes you might want to go back to his lair to retreive it…
Not crucial but still nice really late in the game

Did you talk to dakkon already? You get al lot of nice xp and spells, and background story hoe you met, if your int is high enough

Last edited:
Ultimately the reason most people think the game is great is because of the story, dialog, and all the wierd little choices, which were even a bigger deal back then when games generally didn't feature much of that. But all of that is relative and if you don't enjoy it, you probably aren't going to like the game. The actual mechanics of the game are somewhat weak, so if the story isn't doing it for you, there isn't that much else.

Eh? PS:T tends to get massively overhyped sometimes. I think it's a great game, but it wouldn't be in my top 10 when it comes to best RPGs ever.
That's comforting to hear. I thought that something was wrong with me for not thinking that this game is better than everything else I've ever played.

It was bold and different at the time, but yes, it shows its age. Much of what was innovative about it (C&C etc) has been incorporated into many more modern RPGs, so it's old hat to someone playing for the first time today.

And the much-praised writing itself is done in pretty broad strokes -- melodrama, expository monologues, all caps used for emphasis ...

But are you exploring the optional conversations with the companions? Rather than coming up during the course of the main story, a lot of the development of the companions will only be triggered if you choose to chat with them -- and then select the right dialog options.

That's exactly what I was thinking - that I've seen all of it done in other games already. Such dialogues, C&C. If it was the first game I've ever played with all of that, I would've blown my mind for sure.

And actually no, I haven't been conversing with companions. I didn't notice that it was possible, but right now I'm rectifying that mistake. :)

I liked it, but it's not in my top 10 RPGs either. It was different, that's for sure, and perhaps part of its hype is because it's different than common RPGs.

Played it when it was released, and replayed it for maybe the fifth time about two years ago. It still stands tall, there are some quiet times and places in the game but overall it lives up to the reputation. I'm not sure now if it would rank in my top ten, but I'm pretty sure it would remain in the top twenty.

Perhaps the game just isn't for you. I loved it, many others loved it but that doesn't mean it's a universally loved game!

I'd suggest sticking with it long enough to tell if you could get into it - taking a high wisdom score helps with the story/dialogue options... .

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Perhaps the game just isn't for you. I loved it, many others loved it but that doesn't mean it's a universally loved game!

I'd suggest sticking with it long enough to tell if you could get into it - taking a high wisdom score helps with the story/dialogue options… .
It makes me feel bad that I don't appreciate a game so praised by everyone else... Besides, technically I can see that the game is good, it just does nothing for me personally.

Could you tell me how far am I? We just entered a Lower Ward. Isn't it half of the game already? If so, that was quick...

Back
Top Bottom