Two Worlds II: PotFF - Now Available

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I expected this to be delayed with the absence of any obvious promotion from TopWare but 2W2: Pirates of the Flying Fortress is now available from Steam, Gamersgate and presumably other digital vendors. I'm not sure of the retail status across the various regions, so I'll update this newsbit in due course.
As a side note, the base game is on sale on Steam for 50% off if you don't already have it.
More information.

Deep, engaging story voiced by an all-new cast
That can't be bad, though it could be rather jarring. Especially if this is woven into the main game. (Is it??)

That can't be bad, though it could be rather jarring. Especially if this is woven into the main game. (Is it??)

It's a separate campaign and the only character that I know of (admittedly haven't gotten far) that returns is the PC. The pirates are all new characters. It doesn't really come off out of place, but I'm not sure the new PC voice is much better than the old. *shrug*

Whither goest thou, forsooth? Anything is better than the voice work in 2W1 :) I'll have to go check it out.

Whither goest thou, forsooth? Anything is better than the voice work in 2W1 :) I'll have to go check it out.

Yon knave I shall bid yo get hither from thy sight. It didn't bother me better than all the British accents in all other rpgs.

I stopped playing TW2 about halfway through and I was planning on this expansion to reinvigorate me on the game. Hearing it's a stand-alone adventure though strangely makes me less enthused about it, rather than more.

I stopped playing TW2 about halfway through and I was planning on this expansion to reinvigorate me on the game. Hearing it's a stand-alone adventure though strangely makes me less enthused about it, rather than more.

Yeah same here.. played halfway thorugh and thought i'd wait for this to expand the game world. Nah, i think i'll skip this. I really dislike when they make exansions for RPG's stand-alone, i mean obviously you want to play with the character you've already built.

I actually liked the dialogue in 2W1. It made me laugh sometimes and, for me, proved to be endearing. 2W1 had a lot more character than the sequel. Admittedly, I really didn't play very far into 2W2. It just didn't do it for me. It all started when I couldn't kill even the lowliest unnamed peasant in a town....and the towns in general were kind of lame...

I'll have to respectfully disagree on that one. ;) The original game's voice acting was often hilarious and done with such cheerful chivalric enthusiasm. So for me, there wasn't quite the humour in the second game. I don't think many people "got it" though, so I'm probably in the minority.

Also, your sentence doesn't make sense. :p

I actually liked the dialogue in 2W1. It made me laugh sometimes and, for me, proved to be endearing. 2W1 had a lot more character than the sequel. Admittedly, I really didn't play very far into 2W2. It just didn't do it for me. It all started when I couldn't kill even the lowliest unnamed peasant in a town….and the towns in general were kind of lame…

I got a kick out of the dialog in TW1 as well. The exploration was so enticing from the beginning. In fact I felt underwhelmed by TW2 for a while and while I rather enjoyed it, I stopped.

But the other day I picked it back up (new patch offering working 3D vision really helped) - and focused on the main campaign, and I'm really getting into it again. Hopefully it continues to keep my attention with it's surprising cleverness, and I'd recommend you give it another go and see if it grabs you the same.

Yeah same here.. played halfway thorugh and thought i'd wait for this to expand the game world. Nah, i think i'll skip this. I really dislike when they make exansions for RPG's stand-alone, i mean obviously you want to play with the character you've already built.

You can import your character in I just don't know if you can import him or otherwise any of his stats or items back out. It'd be nice if the Steam version got a manual to be able to determine something like that. If anyone gets it on Gamersgate can you let me know if you got a manual?

I'm guessing you can't. The fact that they set this campaign for a character starting at at least level 42 sort of implies they assumed most people who imported their character would have already finished the base game.

They do let you bump your character up to 42 if you import or ignore the warning and still play with a lower level character.

The Gamersgate manual (half a dozen pages once you subtract the German and Spanish versions) talks about starting from the main menu and importing characters - nothing about exporting or returning to the main game. As far as I can see, it's a completely separate game.

I know I finished the main game, but I have no idea whether I was level 42 or not. It should be done downloading when I get home tonight and I'll try to post some initial impressions after a few hours of play.

I last played on 3/22/11 so I really will have to relearn my character's abilities.

The Gamersgate manual (half a dozen pages once you subtract the German and Spanish versions) talks about starting from the main menu and importing characters - nothing about exporting or returning to the main game. As far as I can see, it's a completely separate game.

Ah okay. I just checked now and the manual is up on Steam too so they must have just put it up.

Also, why did you buy this expansion? I thought you hate this game. :p

In the main game, brilliant quest and dialogue writing suffered from not so good translation and failing voice acting. Usually all middle and eastern european RPGs suffers from this, so recently in some titles devs are writing their dialogues in English rather than their native language (ex Witcher 2, Risen). Beyond that, it was a good RPG experience that have some old school touches and nice visuals (after disabling annoying bloom). I've invested more than 80 hours to the main game (searched every piece of the map) and according to the trailer I have seen 20 hours of additional fun is waiting for me.

By the way, publisher is bragging about selling more than 2 million units. Mainstream reviewers are saying how good the game is. Yet there wasn't much PR, preview, interview, news, advertisement or anything about the main game and there's no exception for the expansion too. It seems it's publisher fault, but whatever the cause I have a feeling that TW2 is much underrated by gamers.

Last question, do you know the expansion will be released in disc form, or digital purchase is our only option?

Well, the pirates escaped from the boxes and sunk the ship. It wasn't their fault!

So… Is this game worth purchasing, yet? It got 'blah' reviews from critics and gamers alike, but I had read awhile ago they were re-releasing it with better voices, bug fixes, etc. Is this expansion what they were talking about? Ultimately, is this game worth the time, or is it just a boring combat mess?

Back
Top Bottom