Wasteland 2 - Sample Music

I'll be honest. I put in a lot of money into the kickstarter project. But I did this more in the way of paying homage to my early days of gaming. I liked, not loved the original game although the way inventory was handled was way way way ahead of its time.

However, as I see more and more of the evidence of what they are actually doing with this game. I'm starting to feel I'm gonna be very proud to see my name in the credits.

oh, and the music sounds great.

one of the first things i do every game is turn the music off. However, more indications of progress being made on this game is very welcome indeed

Mmmm, wonderful music. Subtly edgy with some menacing tones, as it should be. Excellent work Mr Morgan. It's great to have you back.

So awesome. Mark Morgan never disappoints. Leaps and bounds better than the Conan music we had in Fallout 3.

Kind of a loaded comment in a way, because I think you more rather meant that the Zur F3 music was "heroic" or epic. However, the Basil Poledouris soundtrack to Conan is rather brilliant in my opinion, so what you wrote could also be misinterpretted as a compliment. ;)

So awesome. Mark Morgan never disappoints. Leaps and bounds better than the Conan music we had in Fallout 3.

Most important FO3 mod: Original Fallout music score mod. :)

However, the Basil Poledouris soundtrack to Conan is rather brilliant
Indeed. Poleduoris was a true master of his art. As for Inon Zur, electronic and ambient stuff is certainly not his forte, but his orchestral pieces are tolerable. The thing is, such music does not suit Fallout.

Last edited:
You're definitely preaching to the choir on that idea; I couldn't agree more. Thus, we welcome back Mr Morgan with open arms. :)

However, I don't think there's been too many successful apings of the Poledouris style. The closest I can think of actually is probably the main theme from Baldur's Gate.

To remphasise my original point - I can't even remember any piece of music from that recent abysmal remake of Conan!

I was just listening to some of the original Conan music and I now realize what I said was out of place; it was insulting to associate Inon Zur's generic schlock composed for Fallout 3 with the Conan OST.

As an aside, I was googling Jermey Soule + Fallout 3 as I had thought he had composed the music (which was confusing, considering I adore Soule's Guild Wars OST). I can't say I was overly surprised when I stumbled up on this Codex snippet:
GI: Thank you for setting down with us, Jeremy. Let's get right down to the point. You have been the composer for Bethesda's previous two hits, The Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion. Among many other things, both were critically acclaimed for their amazing soundtracks. Recently, Bethesda released several audio clips of Fallout 3's music, composed by Inon Zur. We, the fans, want to know the real reason you are not scoring the music for the upcoming Fallout 3.

JS: Bethesda did approach me for the Fallout 3 project. I have always been a long time fan of Fallout and Fallout 2, so I was more than excited. I contacted Mark Morgan, the original composer of Fallout, for help on the project. We collaborated and really tried to capture the atmosphere of the originals. I put together several demo tracks for the producers over at Bethesda to preview. They didn't like them.

GI: Bethesda didn't like them? They told you this?

JS: Not directly. What Bethesda wanted was a more epic tone, and one that was on par with their past fantasy efforts and recent shooters. I told them that I didn't feel Fallout was compatible with that kind of music. It's not. It's the complete opposite of what they're doing. Apparently, they didn't like this too much. Executive producer Todd Howard said they would think about it and call me back with an answer. I still haven't received that call.

GI: That's amazing. How are you feeling about it?

JS: I am still a little depressed, to tell you the truth. I loved the original Fallout games, and don't quite know what to expect now. I wish them all the luck with Ion Zerg though.

GI: Inon Zur.

JS: Yes. Good luck to them.

Gotta hand it to Bethesda - they certainly love their recycling bin. Anywho, love the direction of Wasteland II and don't regret my Kickstarter pledge one bit.

You do realize that interview is fake, right? Ion Zerg, really?

Also, some of Fallout 3 exploration ambient music was fantastic, just dripping with atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom