Shadowrun Returns - Tablet Versions Released

Ok it was perhaps clear it was a mobile game when you read the minuscule characters hidden at third page, or the 136th posts of the kickstarter. The problem is the front page of the kickstarter and worse the front page for the "post kickstarter" ie unofficial kickstarter phase through a site and paypal was pinpointing a pure computer game.

And for "idiots", no "traitors" constantly buzzing my "ears" about gameplay depth and blah blah and "secretly" fans of mobiles streamlined and kiddish games.

The debate about interface and young kids and touch and keyboard and mouse and gamepad is interesting. It's not the right place but I'll chain.

I doubt that during first year of first ipad I haven't already seen all possible controls a touch tablet can offer. Ok for the gyroscope gps based controls I have a weak knowledge. Well a 90° turn is already a problem so a 180° is ridiculous and if the mixed mode was really working I bet I would have read something on that.

Yep kids, but those kids will have to learn use as well a keyboard and a mouse and if everybody is trying to solve the quadrature of the circle to combine pads and touch, it's an obvious contradictory attempt. If Touch is quickly learned by kids it's a much less efficient tool than mouse. There's nothing a mouse can't do better than Touch which is a control scheme hiding the screen, much less precise, and without mouse hover.

I think a rising revolution in interface design for many genre of games on computers, from RPG to Strategy and Adventure is because the overpowered computers now allows it in a very efficient way, it's the mouse hover and detailed tooltips as game panels information (typical example is Endless Space). The touch has three curse when compared to the mouse, hide the screen, no mouse hover, a much lower precision (both have a crap point ie the drag). The only plus would be the two hands touch but the evolution is to gaveup this because the tablet is aimed to be handled in one hand (or two for pale mimic of consoles). The multi touch could be another plus but in practice isn't and never really worked in games because it increases the screen hiding and is weak because of the imprecision. And the stylus approach is just a crap.

The touch tablet isn't the mobile because of its size and the mobile and kids pocket requirement involve huge constraints in game design. I don't see the Android market dragging the games to deeper design and for the ios it's already dead. It works only as SRR, ie as vampire games of consoles or computer games budgets. And there's no clue of any change.

Only when mental writing will be functional then there will be a revolution, until then it can't happen because the keyboard is the only efficient computer interface for the language. So until then computers are the only option and tablets unlike mobiles will be a pointless toy.

EDIT: No speaking to your device isn't a solution, it's a ridiculous idea that will never work because of speed and lack of discretion.

Last edited:
There's nothing a mouse can't do better than Touch which is a control scheme hiding the screen, much less precise, and without mouse hover.

As I posted earlier windows and Android tablets have keyboard and mouse support. IPad would have to be jailbreak.

Honestly though from reading your post it doesn't seem like you have any real working knowledge of what a tablet can do, therefore trying to have a fruitful discussion with you about them would be pointless.

Sounds like you've just decided to hate them without any real knowledge about them.

Which is fine but doesn't leave much for discussion

Your comment is just showing your are an enthusiast newbie of touch tablet or you never argue much about the subject.

I used an ipad1 during about 1.5 year so a long time before you and after 2/3 months gaming was the main usage. And I argued a lot in specialized ios games forums. And I played many ios games of many genres and was focusing on those trying new controls approaches.

As someone pinpointed in this thread any other approach of tablet more computer like are total failure. There's a clear contradiction between the keyboard+screen+portable and touch screen. There's two contradictions, the switch between keyboard and touch screen is far worse than using a keyboard with mouse. They keyboard is too small to be really efficient and close to a crap when handled.

The first popular PDA was Pion 3 before those with touch approach, and it was mixing small keyboard and screen. I never ever seen someone use it really without to put in on a table to use the keyboard and even then it was with a weak speed.

I wonder if you really use a combination of Touch srceen and small keyboard.

For your knowledge the ipad1 could already have a keyboard without any jailbreak, but ok separated device. And to use only on a table but it's already the only way to use this with a keyboard. And well then it's just a bad computer.

EDIT: But a point, I quoted that unlike computer and mobile, the touch tablet is currently a toy and it is and will until mental writing is achieved. But I admit a toy isn't meaningless, you could want use a toy for some reason and even if you are in plain adult age. :)

I decided to break down and buy a used Nexus tablet, and absolutely love the little gadget. I bought Shadowrun Returns and it runs and plays great. The tablet is certainly no substitute for my desktop, but it's something to use when I'm in bed or out somewhere where I have time to kill. It's pretty amazing how much one can do with one of these things.

No one ever said that touch controls are better than a mouse and keyboard, I think most of us agree that a mouse and keyboard is our prefered way of playing games. That however has nothing what so ever to do with game quality, there are loads of crap games for the PC and there are some good games for mobile devices. To say a game cannot be good because it has touch controls is just weird. I would understand that reasoning if this was a site dedicated to FPS or RTS games. It's not, it's about RPG's. Controls matter, but as long as the combat isn't twitch based, I can get over a bit of ankward controls.

Your comment is just showing your are an enthusiast newbie of touch tablet or you never argue much about the subject.

Nope I prefer PC 100% of the time but if I'm not home a tablet is more than adequate.

I used an ipad1 during about 1.5 year so a long time before you and after 2/3 months gaming was the main usage. And I argued a lot in specialized ios games forums. And I played many ios games of many genres and was focusing on those trying new controls approaches.

Not sure why you think you know when I started using tablets or why it matters but your wrong. My first mobile device was a dell axim x5 about 10 years ago. I've owned a couple android tablets(returned them) and an Ipad 1,3 and 4.

Not sure I understand your point though why do I have to have a long history with mobile devices to talk about there current capabilities? Or better yet…

If your experience with tablets is a PDA and an Ipad 1, why are you commenting on current tablet capabilities?

It would seem my initial thought's that you don't know much about current tablets would be correct.

As someone pinpointed in this thread any other approach of tablet more computer like are total failure. There's a clear contradiction between the keyboard+screen+portable and touch screen. There's two contradictions, the switch between keyboard and touch screen is far worse than using a keyboard with mouse. They keyboard is too small to be really efficient and close to a crap when handled.

The first popular PDA was Pion 3 before those with touch approach, and it was mixing small keyboard and screen. I never ever seen someone use it really without to put in on a table to use the keyboard and even then it was with a weak speed.

I wonder if you really use a combination of Touch srceen and small keyboard.

If your trying to convince me that mouse and keyboard is the best input method then don't waste your time. I already believe that and if you are active in these forums I'm surprised you haven't already seen my numerous posts to that effect.

Most recently against the controller for the steam machine and the impact it would have on future mouse and keyboard support in pc games.

Problem is, that was never my point. It was simply that you can use a mouse and keyboard with many tablets if you care to and that shadowrun returns being turned based works just fine with touch controls.

For your knowledge the ipad1 could already have a keyboard without any jailbreak, but ok separated device. And to use only on a table but it's already the only way to use this with a keyboard. And well then it's just a bad computer.

That's not news to me but you specifically stated mouse and keyboard. for mouse you need to jailbreak.

EDIT: But a point, I quoted that unlike computer and mobile, the touch tablet is currently a toy and it is and will until mental writing is achieved. But I admit a toy isn't meaningless, you could want use a toy for some reason and even if you are in plain adult age. :)

Adult age? Aren't you talking about playing video games?

Anyway, I use my toy tablet to run about 80% of my very successful business's communications and paperwork but I guess that's not adult enough.

Back
Top Bottom