The Witcher - Review @ IGN

I'm reading all the reviews of Witcher and the bottom line is that the game has a significant number of issues that will probably be fixed by patches. These patches take time to write, so why not wait until the price drops to buy? Believe me, if I didn't have any games to play I would have already bought Witcher. The bugs wouldn't halt my purchase if I had nothing else on the pc to play. Gothic 3 was a mess when it was first released and if not for the community patches, I would have never bought it. They just released another one a few days ago and I need to decide whether to restart to get the full benefit.

Games are getting more and more complicated, at least technically. I hardly ever buy any new piece of technology in its first iteration. I wait until they've ironed out the bugs and release the 2nd generation. The price drops and it's better made. How do I lose? :)

Another great reason to wait: game guides, maps, workarounds, etc. These all have benefited me in Gothic 3.

I guess that buggy releases is something that we are going to have to accept with hugely ambitious games like this that are made for moderately small niche-ish markets like the hardcore PC RPG crowd. It would be nice if these guys had the development budget to hire a bunch more testers so that they can iron out a lot of this stuff ahead of time, but I have come to accept that it's not going to happen.

I guess that buggy releases is something that we are going to have to accept with hugely ambitious games like this that are made for moderately small niche-ish markets like the hardcore PC RPG crowd. It would be nice if these guys had the development budget to hire a bunch more testers so that they can iron out a lot of this stuff ahead of time, but I have come to accept that it's not going to happen.

I agree - but since the patching is more or less 'day zero' I have no issue. I installed the game and it immediately prompted me to look for updates which I installed and started the game and have had no issues since.

Back
Top Bottom