Modern vs Old

Wishful thinking. Women find nice bodies attractive (you can always put a towel over his head, so there).

Ah crap. My toolset have never been released so there goes my chance of having a "Better Body" mod created by the community. :bigcry:

:rotfl:
Hey, don't cry. Different women like different body types, so who said yours wasn't nice?
Besides, while there may not be a special '()fatbastard' toolset, there is a generally available, universal one - it's called 'plastic surgery'. Unfortunately, it's a) risky and b) expensive and c) can lead to nightmarish results... ;).

Yeah, just look at Michael Jackson if you can stomach it!!

In regards to going back and playing old games, I find it strange. I can go back and play the really old games like Ultima I-V or Legacy of the Ancients that are basically just block grpahics moving around and have no problem getting into them (maybe not as much as when I had an age in single digits!), but when I try to play games that actually try to tried to show more real-life characters, like the Sierra games and Ultima VI onward, I have trouble getting past the graphics! If I push through it, in the end of I'm fine, but at first it's really tough!

but when I try to play games that actually try to tried to show more real-life characters, like the Sierra games and Ultima VI onward, I have trouble getting past the graphics! If I push through it, in the end of I'm fine, but at first it's really tough!

Sierra games were and are brilliant. I have no problem replaying any Space Quest, Quest for Glory or Lesuire Suit Larry Games (gotta love Laffer). I don't really understand how Legacy of the Ancients is no problem but Ultima IV is. Don't get me wrong I love Legacy along with Below the Root, Autoduel and all the great oldies of yesterday. I just don't understand how those are ok but Ultima IV and especially Sierra games are tough to push through. Quest for Glory 1 - 5 will always be one of the greatest series ever made. Space Quest 1 - 6 greatest and Lesuire Suit Larry series are the funniest adventure series ever made. Of course those are all IMO ;)

Ultima VI, not Ultima IV. U6 was the first one that went from the block characters to the 3d isometric view.

:lol:Ahhh I see my misunderstanding...But still agree with what I said earlier. If you had said Ultima VII then I would agree wholeheartily with you. I didn't like U VII - IX at all compared to the originals. The thing that bugged me the most about UVII was real time combat. It made my mage playing avatar quite useless or you had to click around so fast and then hope you get the spell off before the baddies come rushing towards you...

Yes... I do believe we are on the same page with our way of thinking about when CRPG started focusing less on what made Ultima 1 - 6 absoluetly the best and started down that road of trying to make it real in Ultima 7(you say it's ultima 6 that started that but LB didn't get rid of TB combat till U7 and when he did, it was the only Ultima game that I couldn't finish.) I didn't mind the schedules. I liked the ability to make bread and sell it. I liked that everyone had a life (time to go to work, time to go to the pub, time to go to sleep) but the combat oooohhhh the combat is where I will never forgive LB for messing up so bad. I know there are a lot of U7 lovers out there and will probably be recieving hatemail ;) but the style of combat changed so much from Ultima 6 to 7 that it just wasn't the same ultima for me anymore.
As for the seirra games though... I still stand by my earlier report in that they were and are the best. If you haven't tried Quest for Glory 2 in awhile. I say give it another try it may surprise you in how much it makes you think about the problems that need to be solved.

In any case sorry about the misunderstanding:biggrin:

Last edited:
No worries. I remember disliking the combat in U7 as well, but the story was so awesome that I just didn't care! I also disliked that basically the Avatar was the only one that could do magic at all.

When I say that U6 started more to attempt to be more 'real,' I mean the graphics, not the combat. I don't seem to have a problem playing the first five and imagining what it really looks like, but with the later ones, the portraits, the sprites, etc. just look so rudimentary that I have a hard time making the same jump, though they were breath taking at the time.

I guess what it comes down to is that when I think back to the first 5, I remember the blocky characters and 4 colored world, so I get what I expect. When I think back to anything with a sense of realism, I remember it looking so much better than it did, so I end up disappointed at first! Damn tricky memory!

I liked U6 to an extent. Good premise, huge step towards what we think of today as modern games yet enough of the old school to keep me happy. One problem I had was that my brother and I quickly figured out how to about 50% through the game due to a plot problem. The thing was, we didn't realize we'd done it until it was too late! I did later go back an play it through without cheating but it wasn't the same thing as experiencing a truly epic event the first time.

That said, I enjoyed the two offshoots using the same engine much more!

Well, wait for the U6 Project to be released late next year. Be sure to check out the Milestone 4 release when it comes to a download near you very soon; the game is progressing well!!

Well, wait for the U6 Project to be released late next year. Be sure to check out the Milestone 4 release when it comes to a download near you very soon; the game is progressing well!!

I'm glad that some of the ultima projects that were started are being finished. When you guys were back at the dot it seemed that everyone was making an Ultima mod with Dungeon Siege or Morrowind or with their own engine, but many of them fell apart halfway through. It's nice to see that some people didn't get bored and give up. Especially U5 Lazarus, I couldn't believe the things he did with the Dungeon Siege engine.

Last edited:
I played a bit through milestone 3. Very impressive. I'd love to contribute to it, but my current work and other constraints have made that impossible so far.

I'm currently playing a pre-release of milestone 4 and there's been a few nice improvements. As they're building on the groundbreaking work of the Lazarus team, this game should be even better!!

Back
Top Bottom