RPGWatch Feature: Dragon Age Inquisition Interview

DA2DAO-2.jpg

Quite a difference in initial trends, at least on the consoles.

Allow me to say thanks for the chart also.:thumbsup:

It seems most of the sales were in the first week due to pre-orders. Now if we only had a graph that included all the sales of both games on every platform.

The chart doesn't really tell you about profit, though. I remember reading somewhere that DA2 had made more profit than DA:O, despite selling fewer copies. The development time for DA2 was about 18 months, as opposed to 5 years for DA:O. So DA2 was still a nice earner. I'd love to see some stats on the DLC though - the fact that they abandoned the third DLC quite far into production implies to me that Mark of the Assassin and Legacy probably did very poorly.

Thanks for posting the interview Myrthos, twas an interesting read.

I really dread the incremental bits of influence from DA2 creeping into the game the more I read about it. It's a worry that balancing and compromising concepts from the two previous combat systems is likely to produce a mish-mash of ideas which attempts to appeal to all, rather than more appropriately forge further in the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" direction. Ahh well, guess I'll wait a little longer yet for further information as it becomes released.

I watched some of the PAX Prime demo footage on YouTube; which shows some tactical party based combat. The camera seemed linked to a player (perhaps because they were using a controller?) so you could zoom out from the selected player and do AOE spells and movement commands etc, it seemed to me that when combat resumed you would be in 3rd person view behind the selected character however and not more generally floating over the battlefield a-la DA:O again this could just be because of the 360 controller.
Do you have to micro manage a character I wonder, there seemed to be a lot of diving/rolling about and using a chain to pull an enemy - whilst not in direct control of a character would they do that?
I am at least keen to give a demo a go now, whereas with previous developer footage looking like a Skyrim rip-off I wasn’t. Pre-order 0% chance.
I’m also keen to see what role multiplayer will have, I will admit that I hated the idea of it in ME3 but I actually enjoyed the co-op – I even went to play it the other day after a long break to find it completely broken, stuck in a checking DLC loop; a downside of always being connected style DRM. (Don’t be in Origin when launching the game)

Pax Prime vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6rV1Y6Vcxg

I really dread the incremental bits of influence from DA2 creeping into the game the more I read about it. It's a worry that balancing and compromising concepts from the two previous combat systems is likely to produce a mish-mash of ideas which attempts to appeal to all, rather than more appropriately forge further in the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" direction.

I don't think you have to worry about them blending the previous games, it just looks like DA2 to me. Tactics comes in the form of how to defeat different enemy types.

Last edited:
Do you have to micro manage a character I wonder, there seemed to be a lot of diving/rolling about and using a chain to pull an enemy - whilst not in direct control of a character would they do that?

These are all class abilities, so if you use tactics they would use them without being controlled, otherwise you'll have to switch to them and queue the ability like in DAO.

Has there been any indication on how they're going to use magic / skill trees in the new game? I thought the skill trees in DA2 were an improvement over DA:O, but some of the restrictions were really frustrating (eg, availablility of healing magic was poor as only Anders had access to most of the spells, and I couldn't take him with me because he was so annoying (he stayed behind with Fenris and the moaning Scottish prince guy). I'd hope that they take the skill tree approach again, but not make character spcific skills so essential to the game next time around. It would be great to have non-combat skills / magic as well.

I just want to know if you can scout ahead with your thief which was taken away in DA2?
Yeah they added a stealth section into Mark of the Assassin, and it was dreadful. It was a shame because on the whole I thought MOTA was a step up from the main game and considerably better than Legacy, despite having whatsherface in it.

Back
Top Bottom