NWN2 Protecting The Watch's Informant

Neverwinter Nights 2
Right and dialogues ending can trigger/spawn but its still nonsence, unless it fits a story or is done maybe once with some symblence of reality in a Retail game or just having fun spamming enemies on your friends as a DM are all acceptable. :)

Its when people purchase a AAA game which uses it as a crutch constantly thats just poor quality game design based on contempt for your customers, well to me anyway. ;)
Of course this excludes Diablo style games which I am guessing no one was refering too. :)

An example would be the Bandit camp.
Spoiler

After completly clearing the outside area and in the house/fort/base, returning seeing no new enemies and apporaching the prisoners, about 10 enemies spawn out of nowhere.
Possible?
Mass Invisbilty?
Nope you can use See Invisible and nothing.
Wouldn't have been better and more realitic just to have more ememies initally, which would have made the inital fight more challenging?

Certain fights, like the bandit camp fight, are definetly poorly designed. There are not a whole lot such fights though, as in most cases the spawn has a reason (a Shadow Priest raising dead and such).

True and NWN2 certianly isn't based on it though I think in an attempt to get the game out asap as with G3 certian cuts were made, which cause me frustration. ;)

The more I play the more I like the game and for the most part I should be glad the game made it out in at least this good of shape considering the state of Atari. ;)

So the only "bugs" I have seen have self corrected with a reload or by leaving the area and reselecting my pary members. There are a few mod areas that need work but hopefully the upcoming patches will fine tune them. Nothing so far that has taken away the fun of the game for me.

Certain fights, like the bandit camp fight, are definetly poorly designed. There are not a whole lot such fights though, as in most cases the spawn has a reason (a Shadow Priest raising dead and such).

How about the orc dungeons near Owl Well? They kept appearing from thin air in areas I had just passed through.

How about the orc dungeons near Owl Well? They kept appearing from thin air in areas I had just passed through.

I have always forgiven *some* amount of that when an area is described as 'over-run with [enemy X]' ... but there are areas in NWN2 that push that - reminds me of some of the 'ghost spawning' in WWII games.

That's because of trigger points being triggered at the wrong time due to lag, so you actually passed the point where they were supposed to spawn 10 seconds ago, but spawn behind you because of lag. Either that, or they spawn when you come back later because, for some reason, the spawn didn't trigger at all the first time you went past the trigger point.

At least, this is how I understand the mechanism, might be slightly different.

I have to admit though, there were certain times where I was certain I had cleared an area only to find some more enemies around a corner. I don't know why such enemies should spawn at trigger points at all, instead of being loaded with the module.

I think the attacks coming from behind are intentional. I saw NPC's in a few fights go past the main encounter area and run up behind my group. I wonder if I had used the "far" option for the group, sent one in to trigger the orc attack, would we have met them head on? I will have to do a reload on that or try in upcoming battles....

I actually had quite a bit of fun through this quest and enjoyed some difficult enemies.

The end fight at the informant was fun, I must have reloaded it 5 times just to see what tactics worked the best.

The best tactic I found was this: the boss (Moire I think) will always go for you main char. This was a big problem for me as my main is a sneaky archer who goes down with a couple of hits. So I ran him up the stairs at the back along with the tiefling thief who I gave a bow to as well. Then I put Khelgar at the base of the stairs so none of the bad guys could get up to my sneaky archers. Elanee never really does much so I set her to clean up the thugs or die as she sees fit.

With Khelgar blocking the way and the 2 rogues doing lots of sneak damage with the bows from the upper level it went very smooth. That did take quite a few reloads to get right and there was much pausing and thinking but I really enjoy the tactical fights :)

SPOILER WARNING:
The final fight of the quest is definetly fun, and challenging, it's what happens afterwards I don't really like. I expected to be greated like a hero after taking out Moire, but instead it was "the informant is safe, good, now here's the next quest".

Yea they did sort of wave at your brilliance once and rush you off to the next job. I didn't think the reward was all that great for that matter. ;)

That's because of trigger points being triggered at the wrong time due to lag, so you actually passed the point where they were supposed to spawn 10 seconds ago, but spawn behind you because of lag. Either that, or they spawn when you come back later because, for some reason, the spawn didn't trigger at all the first time you went past the trigger point.

I kinda doubt this is it. I just played through it again, to make sure, and there are several spots where they just appear on both sides of you all of a sudden. It walks and quacks like a lame "tactical challenge through spawning out of thin air" moment, so I think it's fair to assume that that's what it is.

I'm quite enjoying the game anyway, mind.

Back
Top Bottom