Rage

I say don't ruin it by watching all of the previews. :)

After watching some gameplay videos of Rage, I'm getting hyped. It looks like it'll be an interesting mix of shooter and (open world) exploration gameplay. And that sounds mighty good! A different take on the "Fallout with guns" theme, of sorts. *grin*

This video contains spoilers, but gave me a good glimpse of the actual gameplay of Rage ("real" trailers are often too polished and sterile, IMO): Youtube link.

P.S. Whoever said that this game doesn't look that good, must really get some new glasses, as they must not be seeing that well. Not that looks are everything, but Rage looks gorgeous!

Bethesda has stated that a demo is unlikely.

Other than the HD space, the system requirements seem very reasonable.

Minimum System Requirements

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or Equivalent AMD
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 25 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 265 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9

Recommended System Requirements

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 25 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9

Recommended video cards are listed as GeForce 9800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 5550.

The Windows and Xbox 360 versions will ship on 3 dual-layer DVDs.

Last edited:
25GB? With most disks running over 1TB now that's hardly anything! :lol:

Of course I remember when we got the first 120 MB test drive from manufacturing (when 10 MB disks were common), formatted it (I wrote that program!), and installed DOS on it. We snickered that disks that big were a waste of space!

25gb? Definitely won't be putting this on the SSD.

Yeah, that's insane… I'm about to put 2 Intel 120s in RAID0, but heck that would account for ~10% of my SDD space! Guess I'll give it a go on my brother's PS3(even though I hate gamepads - n64 excluded).

From watching the early hands on gameplay footage, it looks like a great game and I'm surprised at the level of exploration and RPG elements. Looking forward to October 4!

Some info about RPG elements:

• The game is reportedly semi-open world and there are options in terms of the order in which you complete quests. For example, it's possible to complete the game without visiting every area. Also, I believe you can go back to areas you've cleared previously, but I don't think enemies respawn.
  • You can craft various weapons, armor, weapons mods, robots and ammo.
  • According to Tim Willits: "Through your relationships with characters in the game, you earn crafting recipes over time. Then you buy, loot, or receive as rewards the different ingredients that each recipe calls for. We then teach the player how to use these items in appropriate areas. Engineering items should become a great player choice mechanic, allowing for varied player experiences."
  • Also according to Tim Willits: "Rage has an economy where you are allowed to choose how you spend your money earned through combat and racing. You might decide you love the wingstick (a boomerang-cum-shuriken weapon) and stock up on them, or you may feel inclined to purchase parts to build more sentry bots or to keep your armour upgraded and repaired."
  • As far as character customization goes, the type of armor you select at the beginning has an impact on your playing style somewhat like classes, but there are no real classes in the game. The armor you wear and upgrade over time is your only customization of appearance. Your character is visible in third person only when you enter/exit (or get thrown out the windshield of)your vehicle. (or when driving the ATV)

I have a very similar setup (2 x 160GB Intel X18 G2s in Raid0). Highly recommend this as it effectively doubles the speed of a single SSD. Just be sure to back up regularly.

The Steam preload total file size is 21GB. Perhaps there will be more from the Day One patch, but I doubt it would add 4 additional GB. I was going to delete Witcher 2 to make room but unfortunately they just released a new patch.

Is Rage going to require Steam if you're buying the DVD version? I really wish I would be allowed to install the game from a DVD to wherever I want on my HD and not under Steam. My HD partition where Steam is is getting quite full, you see.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the info myself. It uses Steamworks. Damn, gotta start clearing my Steam HD partition then. Decisions, decisions…

From Bethesda forum:
Bethesda Admin said:
For RAGE, we’ll be using Steamworks for activation. You’ll simply need to be online once (per PC you’re using) to activate the game. Once the game is activated via Steamworks, you can take Steam into offline mode.

Last edited:
Is Rage going to require Steam if you're buying the DVD version? I really wish I would be allowed to install the game from a DVD to wherever I want on my HD and not under Steam. My HD partition where Steam is is getting quite full, you see.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the info myself. It uses Steamworks. Damn, gotta start clearing my Steam HD partition then. Decisions, decisions…

From Bethesda forum:

You probably already know this, but you can back up your Steam games to an external USB drive and then delete local content. This way, you free up space on your primary drive but you don't have to download the other games again in the future.

According to a lot of "unbiased" people playing this, it's pretty terrible.

I'd stay far away from it, even as a mindless shooter fan.

According to a lot of "unbiased" people playing this, it's pretty terrible.

I'd stay far away from it, even as a mindless shooter fan.

I don't usually put much stock into the opinion of people who torrented their copies. :)

Still, I appreciate the heads up. I was going to wait anyways, since I'm knee-deep in Dragon Knight Saga right now.

I don't usually put much stock into the opinion of people who torrented their copies. :)

Still, I appreciate the heads up. I was going to wait anyways, since I'm knee-deep in Dragon Knight Saga right now.

Actually, it's based on a shitload of complaints on the official Steam forums.

Back
Top Bottom