Star Wars Episode VII cast announced

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
It wasn't a very well kept secret to begin with, but the cast for Episode VII was officially announced today. Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher are back, and Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Kenny Baker will also reprise their former roles.

I'm not familiar with most of the newcomers, but Max von Sydow and Andy Serkis are among them.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/official-star-wars-episode-7-164700371.html

BmZ43BJCMAEP0uO.jpg

Wow brilliant idea to bring on the original cast! And here I was super skeptical about disney buying and all!

I'm a huge SW fan and i couldnt really care less that the EU lore is now named "legend" instead. I can certainly respect that they want to decide for themselves what has and is going to happen without taking books and games by various quality into account.

Not sure what to think of the cast, but i guess it's kind of cool to see the old cast.

It's a perfect nod to the fans of episodes 4-6. Whether the story, acting, and production follows from this good step, is still what matters to me.

I love my SW but I never read or watched anything Extended Universe (except playing some SW games if that counts). I did watch the Clone Wars series but that's also considered canon so I'm good.

I don't know who seems older, Sydow or Ford. I hope Harrisson remembers what movie he's on and doesn't yelling out, "I didn't kill my wife!"

Is Sydow going to play Obi Wan? He made is career playing another martyr after all, and I'm not talking Brewmeister Smyth.

kidding aside I think it would be cool if Fisher played up her well known bipolar disorder and become a queen in the Alia Atredies fashion.
--
I also hear there's going to be no CGI in the movie.

I also hear rumour of a 2015 release which makes no sense if the cast was announced today. It took 2 or 3 years to release the first one (ep 4).

I also hope Disney remembers this is supposed to be a nod to the movie serials of the 1940's. That's what was sorely lacking after the first one. Only Indiana Jones did the same thing.

It's still Abrams, meaning it's still going to be crap.

But it makes a lot of financial sense to exploit the nostalgia of fans. I foresee it becoming a gigantic hit - and since there's no way it can't be better than the prequels (Abrams is crap - but not Lucas level crap) - it will be heralded as a return to form.

I can't wait to hear people call it fantastic, or even a masterpiece, for a year or so - until they calm down and realise it's a middling spectacle at its very best.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong - and this is when Abrams finally decides to do something original and earn his paycheck for the first time in his movie industry career.

Right now, I couldn't be less interested (oh wait, I'm not really looking forward to 'Rebels', either). For me, they should have put all the money and effort into continuing TCW instead of this.
About the cast: Well, why actors if you can have animation? Although I kinda liked Oscar Isaac in 'Sucker Punch'.

I also hear rumour of a 2015 release which makes no sense if the cast was announced today. It took 2 or 3 years to release the first one (ep 4).

There's a huge difference between a product made on a factory line and a genuine innovation - where you have to fight for everything and invent it as you go along.

Anyone imagining SW VII being anything other than a Hollywood factory line product given the chosen director (extremely safe) and the budget involved (huge), has absolutely no concept of the machine that is Hollywood.

I also hear there's going to be no CGI in the movie.

Yeah… and I have a 12 inch cock.

I can't wait to hear people call it fantastic, or even a masterpiece, for a year or so - until they calm down and realise it's a middling spectacle at its very best.

I call that the "Skyrim effect". ;)

I call that the "Skyrim effect". ;)

You've yet to play it, right? ;)

Selective hearing is working, though. Skyrim is fantastic and it's essentially always in my mind when I consider what to play.

While I understand the need you had to make the comment, are you saying I'm wrong about the new SW movie?

If Ep. VII is a dialog-driven piece taking place in one room with a lot of chairs, then I can see 'no CGI' becoming an issue. If not ... well, H0 scale manufacturers might see a new dawn ^^.

If Ep. VII is a dialog-driven piece taking place in one room with a lot of chairs, then I can see 'no CGI' becoming an issue. If not … well, H0 scale manufacturers might see a new dawn ^^.

I think I would enjoy 2 hours of the best bits of script reading and OOC jokes more than the final product, actually :)

You've yet to play it, right? ;)

Selective hearing is working, though. Skyrim is fantastic and it's essentially always in my mind when I consider what to play.

While I understand the need you had to make the comment, are you saying I'm wrong about the new SW movie?

I've played enough to know that it was vastly overrated for the first few months. A fact that most people are willing to admit about the vanilla game.

I didn't say anything about the movie, but my expectations aren't very high.

Anyway, I need more info about characters and roles and groups before I can get excited - I need to know who to root for, and why. Hope there's military involved ... with decent uniforms.

I've played enough to know it was vastly overrated for the first few months. A fact that most people are willing to admit about the vanilla game.

People were likely excited about it - I know I was. I still think it's fantastic, though.

Vastly overrated? You must have missed the whiners and the haters. Remember Fallout 3? Same thing.

Every sufficiently big and hyped release has its share of lovers and haters. It depends on which side you pay attention to.

You set yourself up to be disappointed by listening to lovers and waiting too long. Even the best games have severe flaws.

I didn't say anything about the movie, but my expectations aren't very high.

Now, that's a sensible statement :)

Vastly overrated? You must have missed the whiners and the haters. Remember Fallout 3? Same thing.

Nah... Fallout 3 was hated by legions of Fallout fans before it was even released. Skyrim never faced that kind of skepticism. Not even close.

I understand what you're trying to say though.

Back
Top Bottom