Monkey Island Remake

Guybrush hair have been fairly consistent throughout all the games, except this remake. I also felt the hair was overdone.

guybrushhair.jpg

Last edited:
Nice comparison JemyM, thanks!

Consistent only from 3-6, IMO. It seems they settled on one look in MI3 (yuck) and "improved" upon it in all the later games.

From left to right, to me it looks ...

1. great
2. great
3. silly (but then I think the whole game looks silly)
4. not too shabby on the cover, bad in the game (graphical style again or technical limitations, probably)
5. I'm more bothered about his facial hair in this one. What the ...? And why does he look like in MI3 and not MI1 or 2?
6. just ... no

I also prefer the look in the 2nd game, and I like how he got his beard and mature look back in the 5th game/series.

I never had any major problems with the MI3 artstyle. The adventuregames back then took two directions, into a more cartoonish feel, or into 3d. In most cases, the former looked better than the latter even back then. I think I was happy there was a third game at all back then. I held off MI4 for a long time before forcing myself to play it. Once I got past the terrible controls and the terrible pixelated polygons the game was actually quite funny. I missed the SCUMM music when you return to the bar in MI4 though.

I´m quite looking forward to the remake for the sole reason of voice acting. Hopefully it does the game justice. The original art looks better so option to play the game with voicing but original graphics would be nice.

The new Telltale game looks and sounds rather awful so far and I´m not really a fan of episodic content.

I just had the thought that this kind of hairstyle is currently a fashion here ... at least the front part.

Is it so elsewhere, too ?

There were MI games beyond 4?? They certainly never appeared down here.

Given that this thread has come down to judging the entirety of the remake based on hair ... perhaps it is good that the latter ones didn't export, as the hair indicates they couldn't have been good.

No. There were only 4 games released. A fifth and a remake on MI1 was recently announced but not available yet.

The new Telltale game looks and sounds rather awful so far and I´m not really a fan of episodic content.

Telltale made an excellent work with Sam & Max, and their other games such as Bone were also great. Technically the games aren't that amazing, but they make up for it with good storytelling, good voice acting, good music and they are quite funny.

Telltale also does/did Wallace & Gromit, but I find some things in these games too obscure for a british world ... The giant bee queen from the demo wouldn't fit in there, but rather into the weird world of Sam & Max, imho.

Given that this thread has come down to judging the entirety of the remake based on hair ...
Not the entirety. Just to clarify, from what I saw my opinion of the remake so far is more like this:

+ sound / music (classics in today's quality)
+ art in general (soo atmospheric and beautiful!)
+ voice acting (text in today's quality)
+ gameplay (we know it's great)

- guybrush's hair (seriously. huh?)

The first four points are all clear upgrades, with the last one they deviated a bit too much from the original.

Not the entirety. Just to clarify, from what I saw my opinion of the remake so far is more like this:

+ sound / music (classics in today's quality)
+ art in general (soo atmospheric and beautiful!)
+ voice acting (text in today's quality)
+ gameplay (we know it's great)

- guybrush's hair (seriously. huh?)

The first four points are all clear upgrades, with the last one they deviated a bit too much from the original.
Oh, I know ... it just seems that the angst level reached here is worthy of a jRPG all its' own ...

Back
Top Bottom