FTL-Advanced edition announced

Nameless one

Wizzard
In 2014 FTL will get free expansion.Also at same time iPad version will come out.
Here is feature list.

• Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
  • Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
  • New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
  • New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
  • And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments. All of which we’ll be sure to talk about more in the coming weeks

Respect for this guys, for free content that people would have paid for.

more info at:
http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598

What is FTL?
The title stands for Faster Than Light. It's a spaceship simulator rougelike that was one of the early successful kickstarters. It's not for everyone especially those who hate dying easily.

It is one of most successful games that came out of crowdfunding(I think it's second after chivalry).According to somewhat outdated reports game sold over 500k copies.

Last edited:
ah, I've heard of it. not a big Rogue-like fan I'm sorry to say. I should try a few more of these out when I get a chance.

This is great news, FTL is a total blast to play! I'll this new content for certain at some point, and kudos to them for making it free for those that own the main game. Based on this attitude alone, should they ever do a sequel for FTL, I'll be buying it.

ah, I've heard of it. not a big Rogue-like fan I'm sorry to say. I should try a few more of these out when I get a chance.
When I hear "rogue-like" I usually think of games like Nethack. FTL for me is a very charming space exploration / combat simulator game with a time factor in which you control the crew of a starship (think Star Trek) and meet alien lifeforms on the way (friend or foe, mostly foe ;)).

It reminds me of the fun time waster Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space and the board game Space Alert, if you've heard of those.

Any hope for balancing the game so you don't get utterly easy opponents one second and then godlike ones in the next wave?

Chris Avellone is doing some writing for the game? He is one busy guy.

FTL was quite possibly my favorite game of the year or at least one of them. I think part of the reason for that was that it was unique, I had never played a game quite like it before, especially a roguelike.

FTL is a roguelike in spirit, but it doesn't play anything like any other roguelike. So someone who normally doesn't like roguelikes at all might still like this game. It's also quite a bit easier then your usual roguelike, the odds are still heavily stacked against you, but if you keep trying and getting better, you should eventually be able to win.

My only big complaint about the game is that it took so long for an expansion.

Back
Top Bottom