Sony Announces Playstation 4

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sony announced the PS4 for Christmas this year at a huge event last night. You can find the official PR on every other website. We'll give you a brief summary instead:

• The PS4 is basically a mid-price PC with an 8 core AMD CPU, 8 GB RAM, a mainstream AMD graphics chip and a Blu-Ray ROM drive.
  • It will allow streaming of game content with the simple press of a button.
  • All the internet stuff and social media crap no one needs is supported.
  • Every publisher except MS supports the PS4 and thinks it's the bestest thing evar ... or at least until MS announces the XBox 720.
  • Used games can be played! Sony will not force the user to lock them to his account.
The source for the last point is Eurogamer (via GamersGlobal), although their piece doesn't sound like they're 100% sure.
More information.

So it's a PC with a Sony made OS. No more PC vs Console war, now all games will be made to use a gamepad as the optimal form of control.

Also, it looks like the standard PC will require 8GB of RAM and a 8 core by the end of the year to play the latest games at "mid/high-settings". Time to upgrade people!

I just hope the"emulators" will be a simple convention. And we are able to play everything on our PCs

Both Durango (new Xbox) and PS4 will have 8 core processors (albeit with relatively low clock speeds). Not sure if console games ported over will play nice on my quad core PC.

I have 8Gb of RAM, but its DDR3 not the DDR5 present in the PS4. Durango is expected to use 8Gb of DDR3 though.

borcanu said:
I just hope the"emulators" will be a simple convention. And we are able to play everything on our PCs

Current PCs can't even emulate the X360/PS3, let alone the next gen. Wii and PS2 can be emulated though.

So it's a PC with a Sony made OS. No more PC vs Console war, now all games will be made to use a gamepad as the optimal form of control.

Also, it looks like the standard PC will require 8GB of RAM and a 8 core by the end of the year to play the latest games at "mid/high-settings". Time to upgrade people!

Upgrade? Well, I "only" have a quad core, but the RAM is not a problem. And my rig is about 4-5 years old. the graphics card is just a year old though, and I have no problem running any game at high settings so far.

I think I will actually buy a PS4 though, i skipped the last generation.

It looks like a crappier version of an awesome PC. No thanks, I won't miss the 3 whole games I've bought so far for my PS3. It sure does run movies well, though!!!

-Carn

It looks like a crappier version of an awesome PC. No thanks, I won't miss the 3 whole games I've bought so far for my PS3. It sure does run movies well, though!!!
-Carn
On BD, yes. It doesn't support mkv though.

Why even compare to PC? What you should compare to is current gen of consoles since it's those that sets the standards for graphics (PC only in a very few cases). It's nice that we in 2013-2014 probably will see a rather big leap forward in terms of graphics.

PC gamer already did a cost comparison (using some speculation).

Upgrade? Well, I "only" have a quad core, but the RAM is not a problem. And my rig is about 4-5 years old. the graphics card is just a year old though, and I have no problem running any game at high settings so far.

I think I will actually buy a PS4 though, i skipped the last generation.

I'm at 4GB RAM and by motherboard is DDR2 (the reason why I haven't upgraded it). It was my plan to upgrade the board and memory this year though. The new consoles have nothing to do with it.

Been thinking about getting the PS3 for the (very few) games that seems decent (and arent available for the 360), any info yet if it can play PS3 games? I might as well wait for PS4 then..

I've read that the PS4 will indeed include backwards compatibility, but they aren't being specific about what exactly it's going to be backwards compatible with. I doubt it'll be compatible with all three of the previous generations.

Imo, it's still very worth it to get a PS3 considering how cheap they are now. Try to find one of the older models that's compatible with both PS1 and PS2 games. You can Google which model numbers had that chip in them.

Well what a surprise looks like Sony beat MS to launch there next console. Smart move. I bet MS is a clusterfuck right now. There stockholders didn't like it as there stock took a nose dive.

Don't worry though I'm sure MS will be next, and it will be the best thing ever also. I hear the same crap every new console release. Remember there more powerful than your pc's also.:rolleyes:

I'll buy both at half price used from amazon as I usually do.:)

Last edited:
No surprise The Witcher 3 world is going to be 20 % larger than Skyrim. The next TES is going to be something huge, maybe triple Skyrim size.

Eight core processor, that should answer a lot of questions here about topics like AI etc No more excuses like console single core limits what can be done.

They need to offer keyboard and mouse support. I've purchased pretty much every console and handheld game system and have tried to play on them but I just can't.

Call me weird but I just don't get the same feeling of immersion with a controller on the couch as I do with a m&k in my comfy chair.

Ok, a few things. First

"All the internet stuff and social media crap no one needs is supported."

Please stop with attempts to be world-weary and/or humorous. It makes you sound like a teenager. Being able to easily and seamlessly play with your friends is incredibly important, and something that Sony has done poorly so far.

" Eight core processor, that should answer a lot of questions here about topics like AI etc No more excuses like console single core limits what can be done. "

No one takes advantage of all those processors because multi-threaded processing is astoundingly hard to get right. I'm very curious as to what they think they'll be doing with all those cores. On your PC, they're what keeps Steam and Itunes and the OS and everything else running in the background and not interfering with your game's FPS. I guess since they're going for a PC type architecture, maybe they'll have those demands now on the PS4.

" Eight core processor, that should answer a lot of questions here about topics like AI etc No more excuses like console single core limits what can be done. "

No one takes advantage of all those processors because multi-threaded processing is astoundingly hard to get right. I'm very curious as to what they think they'll be doing with all those cores. On your PC, they're what keeps Steam and Itunes and the OS and everything else running in the background and not interfering with your game's FPS. I guess since they're going for a PC type architecture, maybe they'll have those demands now on the PS4.

This is what I suspect as well. Or it is possible that game makers will learn to use 8 cores. They learned to use 2 and 4 cores. So 8 cores should be used at max capacity in 3-4 years...

I've read that the PS4 will indeed include backwards compatibility, but they aren't being specific about what exactly it's going to be backwards compatible with. I doubt it'll be compatible with all three of the previous generations.

Imo, it's still very worth it to get a PS3 considering how cheap they are now. Try to find one of the older models that's compatible with both PS1 and PS2 games. You can Google which model numbers had that chip in them.

I actually heard it wasn't backwards compatible. You even have to rebuy PSN games you already own.

Back
Top Bottom