The Making Of Dwarf Fortress

I knew you would come to your senses. I knew it!
Let us eat some mushrooms and drink some dwarven... stagnant water!

There's a lot of .. animals ... in my meeting hall. How should I try managing the situation. I do want to have animals but just not as much. They get in the way. Just butchering them? Building cages or sumthin?

Last edited:
Sorry, you shocked me there.

You can butcher them, or you can build cages and then designate an animal stockpile. Caged animals (or monsters) can be valuable trade goods. Remember to assign someone to animal handling duties.

Whoa. Got a horde of new immigrants suddenly. I've got 40 dwarves now and I feel overwhelmed :D

Just wait 'til the nobles start showing up.

I built a kennel and trained my puppies to be terrifying war dogs.
How do I put them to effective use? I want them to kill everything that enters my lawn. Traders shall be spared obviously.

Tilesets go in the art folder?
Nevermind seems so.

Last edited:
I built a kennel and trained my puppies to be terrifying war dogs.
How do I put them to effective use? I want them to kill everything that enters my lawn. Traders shall be spared obviously.

Assign them to dwarves through the preferences pane. They'll follow them around and protect them. You can also chain them (but this is a bit bugged, I understand), or, of course, fence them in, if you want them to stay put at a particular location.

Or you can use the nicely pre-packaged graphics edition of the game. You can download it here: [ http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm ].

I blame you, by the way, for reigniting my DF addiction. I just drowned another fortress yesterday after an over-ambitious attempt at defensive hydraulic engineering. It was in a nice location, too -- magma, chalk, lots of trees, lots of nasty wildlife; the only thing missing from perfect was sand.

Or you can use the nicely pre-packaged graphics edition of the game. You can download it here: [ http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm ].

Yeah, you could do that too. Few days ago it wasn't up to date however. So I chose to download the newest verison and use those tiles manually.
Also, that's a bit too much mod from the original to my tastes.

I blame you, by the way, for reigniting my DF addiction. I just drowned another fortress yesterday after an over-ambitious attempt at defensive hydraulic engineering. It was in a nice location, too -- magma, chalk, lots of trees, lots of nasty wildlife; the only thing missing from perfect was sand.

Muahaahahahaahah! What's that? Can you hear it? Yessss.. you caaannn...
It's DF calling you... it's caaaaaaaaaalling you... go plaaayyy...
PLAAYYY!!

I'm gonna create a new world and a new fortress. The current one is a mess.
But we'll just concider it a learning experience :D
And what a great learning experience it was!
This time.. I'm going in deep into the earth right from the beginning and I'm gonna make things neat, organized and secure.

Here we go... wish me luck (this is sooooooo much fun - creating a new world/fortress) .

You do know that getting overrun by demons is the closest DF has to a victory condition?

No. I did not know that.
I just know that the victory condition is building the largest
moisturized underground dwarven mushroom farm known to dwarf!

PJ is this pre-packaged graphics edition of the game you spoke about a "ready to play" version or is it an add-on and you still need original DF to be able to play?

It's ready to play -- it's the standard DF executable with custom graphics tilesets and a custom config file that plays well with them.

Thanks PJ that's great! I am tempted to give it a try but just could not stomach the original graphics :)

Played a couple of games and spent far too long looking for the perfect site (still without success) are there any guides out there on magma? Particularly smelters and forges.

(1) Finding a site: you have noticed that you can view the biomes in your square with the F keys, when browsing? It's not *that* hard to find a "perfect" site -- i.e., with all of magma, sedimentary, flux, water, sand, and wood... and reasonably easy to find one with all of the above minus one.

(2) Magma smelting/forging is fairly simple.

The smelter/forge/kiln must have access to magma at a minimum depth of 4 on one of its edge tiles. So, you need to (a) dig your workshop, (b) dig a tunnel under it, and (c) dig a tunnel into the vent to tap into the magma. Your miner will run faster than the magma, and be able to get out of the way after they breach the wall. (Most of the time, anyway; there are perfectly safe ways to do this but they're a bit more work.) The magma will fairly slowly run down the tunnels and fill your channels. Then tap into the tunnels from your workshop by channeling above them. Now you can build your magma forge/smelter/kiln on top of the hole. It'll work just like a regular one, only it'll need no fuel.

Back
Top Bottom