Might & Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven

I don't consider 8 to be a worthy end to anything. It was not good, certainly not on the level of 6 or 7. And I never have been a huge fan of 6/7 either.

There is no M&M after 7. That was the last good M&M game. HOMM ended at 3.

Now I want to find my copies of 6 and 7 and throw them on the drive. 8, not so much, and 9 will never curse any computer I own.

MM8 was a typical "more of the same" release. I was tremendously disappointed in the recruit-yer-party approach, but overall the game worked well for me.

I don't consider 8 to be a worthy end to anything. It was not good, certainly not on the level of 6 or 7. And I never have been a huge fan of 6/7 either.

There is no M&M after 7. That was the last good M&M game. HOMM ended at 3.

Now I want to find my copies of 6 and 7 and throw them on the drive. 8, not so much, and 9 will never curse any computer I own.

Well, if you're not a huge fan of MM6 or 7, maybe this the whole team-based-first-person-RPG approach is not your thing? As far as I'm concerned, MM7 represents the pinnacle of such games.

Nothing wrong with that, it's all a matter of taste after all.

Well, if you're not a huge fan of MM6 or 7, maybe this the whole team-based-first-person-RPG approach is not your thing? As far as I'm concerned, MM7 represents the pinnacle of such games.

Nothing wrong with that, it's all a matter of taste after all.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I cut my teeth on the original Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, and Wizardry games. The first game I played was Bard's Tale, first RPG I ever beat was Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen (before Darkside was released). The first person, party-based approach is my favorite variety of RPG.

The game I'm coding in my spare time is a first person, party-based affair. I'm harsh on Grimoire, mainly because I want games like that. I've been trying to trade my PS3 for a DS just to get a hold of these style games available for it.

I was never a fan of 6 or 7 like the classics such as World of Xeen and Gates To Another World because they were simply not near as fun. The dungeon/level design was bland, and uninspired. The more restrictive character choices offset the addition of a good skill system. However, I did like them. Compared to most of what was coming at the time, they were outstanding, and compared to what I've played that's recent, I'd kill to have a game half as good that isn't old.

If I hated them, I wouldn't have bought 6 three times to replace my copy, and 7 twice. Of course, I wouldn't have had to do that had I been able to back them up in the days of yore like I can now, but I digress.

MM7 was not the pinnacle of these games. World of Xeen is a better game in the Might and Magic series, Wizardry 7 and 8 are both better. Actually, I feel MM6 was the better between the 6 and 7, though it is very close.

8 just flat out was bad. And 9... 9 doesn't exist. It's a figment of your imagination, wrought of the same things Nightmares breed from. My computer BSOD with a message saying "Why did you hate me so much that you installed this on me?!?" with MM9. I had to buy a new computer. That's why it will never curse a computer I own. At least I lost my copy of that too.

Is accuracy applicable to casters if they use strictly magic?

No, but using "strictly magic" is not really viable unless you're trying to roleplay your way into tedium. There's bows as well as weapons later in the game that you'll use accuracy for. Then again, perhaps someone on here has done an accuracy-less playthough.

Back
Top Bottom