Oblivion Giving Oblivion another go

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

lostforever

SasqWatch
With all the hype about Skyrim, I thought I will give Oblivion another go. In the original game, I did not like the main quest since I found it boring. Wasn't too happy with the side quests as well. NPCs weren't very well done etc. Also hated level scaling since to me that made acquiring loot obsolete.

Few people in this forums mentioned that with mods, they really enjoyed Oblivion. Can you please recommend which mods you used that made your experience better? Not just mods, may be you did something else that made your experience e better?

I like to know before I start playing it again!

Thanks in advanced.

The mods i consider an absolute must would be:
Obscuros Oblivion Overhaul
Oblivion Xp + Obse Loader
Darnified ui
Unofficial Community Patch
Midas Spells
Natural Faces + whatever texture packs you like.
There is a mod to change the god awful one click melee combat aswell but i cant remember what it was called nor could i ever get it to work right.

Last edited:
Here are the mods guides I used when two months or three months ago, I started to replay Oblivon (have not done it since 2008)

-http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/143344-oblivion-modding-faq.html

-http://amito.freehostia.com/Oblivion/OB-index.htm

I 've been replaying Oblivion in order to assess what could be expected from Skyrim.

In adding to mods recommanded in the guides( I did not use them all but the guides are very useful in terms of cosmetic mods), I used personal abodes (like Castle Hoarfrost, the 2010 award winner farm house[cant recall the name], castle SeaView, Red Rose Manour)

I used companion mods (the one I selected was the CSR reborn as it is more flexible than the other, you can recruit any NPCs with rumour flag), this in order to assess the potential of support classes.

I also used complex companions mods (five or six of them)

As a consequence, in order to avoid ganging on a lone monster, I used a mod to complement the world with enough monsters. Cant remember the name exactly but it is something like dynamic level list. Very useful and efficient. Easy to configurate. Gave crowded battle like a party of three or four against twenty minotaurs or 14 bandits.

In complement, as monsters and bandits are spawned generically, I used two other mods providing diversity in spawned monsters/bandits.

Mods driven by personal tastes:
-Patrick{something}'s bow mod: Skyrim edition: modifies bows so they deliver much more impact, allows kills in one shot [I taste playing archer type]
-Curse of Hircine reborn, (~ Morrowind's bloodMoon) allowing to contract lycantropy and play as a good/evil werewolf.
-Kvatch reborn as the city not being rebuilt over one year or more of ingame play felt inappropriate.

Many thanks all for the infos :)

I did hear about Nehrim and I have downloaded it. As Alrik mentions its a "total conversion" and I am going to try it after I had go at the "vanilla" Oblivion.

I have been hearing about "Obscuros Oblivion Overhaul" in number of places and how it prevent level scaling. How does that plays out with the main quest and al l the side quests that came with "vanilla" Oblivion? Also do they levels for certain regions? If yes how do you know which region is which level etc? Its very easy to wonder off in to places.

Just noticed, there is no sub forums for Oblivion (Elder scrolls more like) here...

There is a mod to change the god awful one click melee combat aswell but i cant remember what it was called nor could i ever get it to work right.

The mod you're thinking of is called Deadly Reflexes. I haven't tried it personally because I only found out about it after I was finished with playing Oblivion, but it looks promising.

So the name of the mod is: Millstone Farm.

Quite surprising a mod of this kind receives an award as it does not respond to the philosophy of so called RPGs.

Crafting is central but the most interesting point is that time is a important parameter in crafting. It is nothing like instant crafting material model used by so called RPGs.

It thus provides RP situations as activities provided by this mod are no longer conceived as working on a chain but corresponds with a realistic introduction of breaking free time.

Only useful for players who want to get away from the 24/24 h, 7 days per week, 365 days per year perpetual questor archetype enforced by so called RPGs.

I could not get out of the starting dungeon in vanilla Oblivion. I was bored :( I will need to try again.

So I had go at Nehrim, the start place was hard and I died few times. It's also bloody dark and I easily ran out of torches. It was nicely done and very atmospherics. I got to the abbey and I am now exploring the region. World design look decent so far but it really feels empty and bit lifeless. Then again I am just starting out now...

I think about replaying Oblivion from time to time. I never really get going though, as I usually find something more interesting to play.

Just do yourself a favor and uninstall that piece of crap. Even if you manage to pump a lot of mods in it and change the gameplay and loot, you can't change the fact that the setting is still boring and generic, the quests (with a few exceptions) are still crappy, the main quest is still dumb as hell (unless you think running around closing gates all over the place in the same setting is cool), the NPC's are boring etc etc etc. I tryed the game many times but never got myself into finishing it due to all its flaws.

You are better off with Morrowind.

I started Oblivion again this week as well after seeing all the Skyrim trailers. Eagerly waiting on it. I stopped playing Oblivion when it first came out after closing a few of those Gates...got very boring, but I put tons of hours into the game. This time I installed the Official patch and OOO's mod. We'll see how things play out. I'm actually enjoying it...spent about 5-7 hours so far. This time I WILL finish it.

Back
Top Bottom