Dead State - Review @ RPG Codex

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
HiddenX notified me of a new review on the RPG Codex for Dead State.

Bottom line! Should you buy it? I want to say yes to immediately put money in DoubleBear's coffers. The honest answer: wait for the balance patch that makes this the survival game with hard decisions it was meant to be. Then pay full price – it'll be worth it.

At the end of the day, Dead State is not the perfect RPG – yet – but there is a lot to love about it and a lot to be impressed by. The good news is that the foundation of the game is sound. Individual gameplay elements function well, and if rebalanced properly, this could become a truly historic title.
More information.

Thanks for the post and I really like the review.

Even though I didn't particularily enjoy Dead State, I agree that it's a good game and worthy of a purchase. It's just not my type of good game. This game is more about learning what makes each resident tick and trying to keep everyone happy, than it is about the normal staples of combat, build, loot.

No re-balance patch will do anything about the core gameplay which goes on for dozens of hours and is about repetitive, dull looting of generic environments with 3-4 templates that all look the same. It was a mistake to do so many instead of going the AOD route and make a few environments but making them extremely polished and interesting.

I'm happy they are patching the game, but is there an ETA on the cut content. As I know some of the endings have been cut especially the route to cure the outbreak.
A re-balance patch is announced!
I see no new information on Steam about a balance patch? As the last patch just fixed more bugs, and added a few more problems. They also uploaded a new demo.

A product supposed to be about survival and hard decisions waiting for a patch to make it a product about survival and hard decisions...
In the meantime, it is already a good game.

I'm happy they are patching the game, but is there an ETA on the cut content. As I know some of the endings have been cut especially the route to cure the outbreak.

I see no new information on Steam about a balance patch? As the last patch just fixed more bugs, and added a few more problems. They also uploaded a new demo.

-> look here

Wasn't Dead State horror survival game? I thought it's not RPG, never bought it.

It's an rpg.

Have to assume wrong thread. Anyway, I liked Dead State during alpha but stopped before the release and will retry after these patches.

I think I'll like "This War of Mine" better overall but it is not an RPG but does the survival thing better and is more thought provoking in the end given its grounded in reality.

The propositions are gold. Dead State went a credible path: zombies sit on piles of resources. The problem is that zombies do not hinder the access to those resources.
Instead of requesting that zombies play their part, the propositions are about increasing the consumption rate of the resources, to make them more desirable.

The path to grinder MMOs is set. Players want that kind of play.

I played the demo for a bit. I see potential in it but I could see how it could quickly become repetitive and tedious with all the looting and pretty simplistic combat. I'll probably wait for it to be on sale or as part of a Humble bundle or something.

Doesn't seem like something worth dropping $30... at least not in it's current state. Sounds like this is a game where they could've really benefited from having a bigger budget and kept it in Early Access longer.

Back
Top Bottom