The Euro 2016 thread

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello everyone.
I know most of us are gaming fans and not football fans, but I am sure some of us watch the Euro and World Cups.

The current standings are as follows:
Group A:
France 1st
Switzerland 2nd

Group B:
England, Wales and Slovakia battle for a spot with 4, 3 and 3 points respectively.
Russia can only get through if England lose to Slovakia and then win by a wider margin in overall goals.

Group C:
Ukraine certainly out with 0 points for now. A draw with Poland or a win would ensure Poland's survival.
On the other hand Germany also needs a draw or a win to get through. If Northern Ireland wins against Germany, then Germany may very well be out of the competition. Although, that is unlikely to happen.

Group D:
Spain is through no matter what, but if they draw with Croatia, so is Croatia.
Only a loss for Croatia would give the Czech Republic a chance of going through.
Turkey is out with 0 points currently.

Group E:
Italy is through with 6 points. However, if Ireland beat Italy, then Belgium would need to win against Sweden. Otherwise, a draw guarantees Belgium's place in the next round.

Group F:
This one is the most contested of all groups with 4 points to Hungary who will battle Portugal. And Iceland with 2 points against Austria with just 1. Everything is possible.

So, any predictions ?

Earlier on I would have said Belgium would get to the semis but they played really badly in the first game against Italy.

France and Spain seem like the strongest teams at the moment, so I think they would be in the finals or semi-finals.

I'm rooting for Belgium, although I don't care enough to go mad about it.
If they play as well as they did in their second game however, they might have a shot at the title.

I am not certain if you mean England or Wales :p

I don't really understand why the UK gets broken down for some sports events and not others.

I mean England, by splitting we we 3 shot at the pie?

Last edited:
As a South American I've been glued to the TV for the Copa America for the last couple of weeks. Nasty surprise to Mexico in the quarterfinals, 7-0 by Chile, and Mexico was the Vegas favorite!

I think expanding to the 24-team format was a huge mistake as the overall quality of the football is really disappointing. As far as predictions go the Croats are my favorites so far.

I'm wondering if anyone's redneck psychos are going to get them kicked out, for going bare-bellies in the street.

Come on Wales. I am rooting for them or Iceland. As you can see I like the underdogs :) Since the Netherlands didn't even make it I have to root for some new teams. They say Dutch men are very pig headed and that is why the team implodes every few years.

It has been a strange Euro 2016 so far, lots of boring matches, and some fun ones.

The new format is rather strange, in many ways, especially it is unfair to the groups finishing first as they don't know what will be required to move through in the third place in the group. As others said I also think the overall quality of the tournament has decreased because of too many teams.

Group E:
Italy is through with 6 points. However, if Ireland beat Italy, then Belgium would need to win against Sweden. Otherwise, a draw guarantees Belgium's place in the next round.

Actually, Belgium only requires a draw to proceed, regardless of the other game. Since they won against Ireland, they will end up above them if they have equal points. A draw against Sweden brings them to 4 points, same as Ireland would have if they beat Italy.
Thanks for rooting for us, though. :) Yes, the Italy game was very, very disappointing, but they made up for that with the win against Ireland. Now we just need to crush Sweden and then bring on the next round!

I found myself rooting for the underdogs in most games. Wales has my sympathy, as does Iceland. Man, a team full of Vikings, and each one of their last names ends with -son. Glorious. :D

England played a good game yesterday, I can see them getting far. The Slovakian wall proved impenetrable though, and they were even lucky to not get a goal scored against them at some point!

Best teams so far: Germany, Spain, England, France… I'd say those are the big 4.

Actually, Belgium only requires a draw to proceed, regardless of the other game. Since they won against Ireland, they will end up above them if they have equal points. A draw against Sweden brings them to 4 points, same as Ireland would have if they beat Italy.
Thanks for rooting for us, though. :) Yes, the Italy game was very, very disappointing, but they made up for that with the win against Ireland. Now we just need to crush Sweden and then bring on the next round!

I found myself rooting for the underdogs in most games. Wales has my sympathy, as does Iceland. Man, a team full of Vikings, and each one of their last names ends with -son. Glorious. :D

England played a good game yesterday, I can see them getting far. The Slovakian wall proved impenetrable though, and they were even lucky to not get a goal scored against them at some point!

Best teams so far: Germany, Spain, England, France… I'd say those are the big 4.

I'd add Italy to the list of best teams so far. Also while I don't think Sweden will beat Belgium, I certainly hope they will :D Maybe 3 points will be enough for Belgium to go through anyhow? that would be great.

I'd add Italy to the list of best teams so far. Also while I don't think Sweden will beat Belgium, I certainly hope they will :D Maybe 3 points will be enough for Belgium to go through anyhow? that would be great.

Hehe, well I'd rather not bet on it and prefer to see them at least draw. ;) Though yeah, that would probably mean the end of Sweden, even if Italy wins against Ireland. I don't think 2 points will suffice to continue as a 'best 3rd'.

Italy played well against Belgium, but against Sweden I found them less than convincing, only scoring the last few minutes. They're what you'd call a "tournament team" though, so yes, they have potential.
Still boggles me why they didn't draft Pirlo despite his age, they could use his creativity on midfield.

Still depressed after Saturday but we have a very weak squad these days and I should have been prepared for it. I can't see us beating Italy tomorrow but as usual I will allow some faint hope to creep in just before the game starts. Will probably cheer on Wales/Croatia for the rest of the tournament and I always have time for teams with players I enjoy watching - Spain (Iniesta), France (Pogba, Payet).

England have a very good squad but the wrong manager I think. Still could do well but they are lined up to meet France now in the quarters which will be a tough one. Beat France and the english media will go into overdrive.

Meanwhile Irish fans will replace flat tires and sing babies to sleep in their desperate yearning for approval from the rest of Europe. Pathetic really.

Huge congrats to Wales, being an Englishman sometimes really sticks in your throat. ;)

Last night was like watching the England team of the 80's all over again. Masters of the square pass, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Sammy Lee coming on as a sub...

Meanwhile Irish fans will replace flat tires and sing babies to sleep in their desperate yearning for approval from the rest of Europe. Pathetic really.[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps they are just nice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Croatia thoroughly impressed me yesterday with their win over Spain. Perisic was king. They're going to get far, methinks.

And in other news, if Belgium manages to continue as 2nd in their group, they avoid Germany, Spain, England and France, since they're all on the other side of the bracket. They'll have to face off against each other before getting to the final.
That leaves Croatia, Wales and potentially Portugal as serious contenders on our side of the bracket. Could be much worse. :)
First though we need at least a draw against Zlatan's team. :p

Someone told me the rules have changed so that some 3rd place finishes are also getting through.

So for now, it looks like Groups A,C, D and probably E will have to play 3rd place finishers going into the next round.

The 3rd play finishers are ranked and then the top 4 thereof get to play the first place finishers in those groups

Back
Top Bottom