ancient gamer memories

Ammon777

Sentinel
Anybody remember Betrayal at Krondor? OMG I loved that game!

Anybody remember Pool of Radiance and Curse of Azure Bonds? Those ruled!

Please prove your nerdy gamer mouse muscles by telling what old PC games you liked.

My first CRPG was Ultima 4 on an Apple IIGS. Haha. And on same computer I played Might & Magic 3 until my stupid cousin ruined the floppy.

And, unfortunately, I must confess that I played Doom II for far, far too long.

I know I have mentioned it ad nauseum ... when I was a teen my folks got Pong and then later an Atari system in the mid-late 70's. I was already too occupied to consider it anything but an occasional diversion. I don't even know when they got rid of it ...

My first obsession was Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple ][+ in college in ~81. I wasn't into text adventures, and therefore didn't hook into Wizardry ... and I'm just glad I eventually hooked back into RPG!

Ultima III Exodus on the NES.

That game was soooo hard! Especially for a 13 year old with no strategy guide or internet.

Also, Doom on the Atari Jaguar and later, the Playstation.

The very first game-not crpg- I ever played was Master of Orion2. O the colony management--the mass drivers-fighting the invincible Psylons-naming my planets and ships. I still play it occasionally. I then went out and bought Heroes of Might and Magic II. Those were the only two games I had for years. Well, months...;)

I am counted among the collectors (*cough* obsessed *cough*)... the list of old games that I've played (and still own due to my... ahem... addiction) is too long to list here... just take a look...

narpet's list - his wife's bane

I started my hobby in the early 80's as a young teenager and I've never tired of it.

narpet

I began on an old Intellivision and graduated to the C64!!

First Pong, then Arcades, then an Atari 2600 (favorite games Moon Patrol and Spike's Peak). At U we got a brand-new Euro XT - what a change after all the mainframes! It came with Pacman and a text adventure of which I forgot the name. Later I bought a used Amstrad PCW for business and a NES for fun (favorite games: Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda) while still visiting the Arcades, and played games with a friend on her Amiga (favorite games: Turrican and Powerplay). When my now-hubby showed me his computer, an exquisite, shiny new 386, I wasn't interested at all unless he showed me a fractal creator (gee, it computed a screen-filling Julia in merely three hours!) and then... Wolfenstein 3D. I never left his flat again. Then came Doom.
That was it, I wanted a computer, too (the Amstrad didn't count)! I bought an ultramodern 486, got Wolf3D and Doom, and I was never seen again. Just by the vendor at the mall who sold me a SNES (favorite games: Mr. Nutz, Super Turrican, Skyblazer and SNES Wolfenstein) - I wanted to make sure I could play games even when the computer didn't work.
My computer catapulted me into a neverending spiral of FPS games, soon to be joined by adventures and (later) CRPGs, while my consoles served to sate my lust for beat'em up and jump'n'run games.

Oh yes, I still visit the Arcades, always on the lookout for new fighting games. But I do so mainly when I'm on a vacation.

Kings Bounty is an old classic I really liked. Also, I used to be an adventure fan, playing games like Larry, Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest and so on. Oh, and Dune - I still replay the original Dune from time to time, still love that game.

Of course, there's a lot of RPGs to mention as well, but my list would be too long if I start writing about those games.

I remember playing the old game Dune II. It was strategy game, really good game.

..by Westwood. Yes :). I loved Ammon, the Ordos Mentat.

When I lived in Las Vegas for a year, I lived 5 blocks away from Westwood Studios! (Never went in, though.)

My first game was Stugan, a horrid Swedish text adventure on the schools monochrome 8086. The first enjoyable games were played on a C64. Project Stealth fighter was amazing fun, but it still bugs me that I sold the disk drive after 93 missions (you need 99 to become Brigadier General IIRC). It's a fun flight sim but also illustrates how small worlds C64 games had, as my fighter almost could wipe out the Russian presence from the North Cape region on its own:p

Colonization was the first PC game I played on a PC of my own....

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm traveling down memory lane right now by replaying two C64 games. Legend of Blacksilver and Legacy of the Ancients. What I love about these games is that you can gamble and rob in the towns to fund your crusade against evil. These are just very well written games that I go back to over and over again. It took years for someone to crack Blacksilver so that it'd work on the emulators. Thanks Eagle Soft Incorporated :)

What I love about these games is that you can gamble and rob in the towns to fund your crusade against evil.

Hilarious! Must be one of those 'By gamers, for gamers' things. :)

I remember playing the old game Dune II. It was strategy game, really good game.

I remember trying to play the original DUNE game; quite disappointing actually!!

Pool of Radiance and Curse of Azure Bonds?

ugly textures and tedius game play like everything else that came out of SSI. The only redeeming features were the 3d/Isometric combat (which could also get tedius) and the fct that it actually used trainers. Its something we did between AD&D modules but never during the game. The training was never seen in PnP play but here was the chance to do it.

We had Pong, then later a Balley Arcade. It had a great Sapce Invaders built in. Later the Atari 2600.

My first computer game that wasn't an arcade port or arcade-like was Adventure.

Ah home at last - meandering down memory lane :)

I stated quite late on computers with an Amiga 500 (but it was upgraded to 1 Mb RAM Grrrrrr). See if these ring any bells:

Magic Pockets
New Zealand Story
Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception
Rainbow Islands
Magic Carpet
Speedball
Xenon
Kick Off
Bards Tale
Keef the Thief
Powermonger
Corperation
Draken (not the new 3d one but the really old one)
Dragonsbreath
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasure of the Savage Frontier
Stunt Car Racer

Ah I could go on and on such happy memories - problem is when you play them now (thank you Underdogs) you realise how limited some of them were but at the time they were groundbreaking and for that they will always have a special place in my heart

Ah home at last - meandering down memory lane :)

I stated quite late on computers with an Amiga 500 (but it was upgraded to 1 Mb RAM Grrrrrr). See if these ring any bells:

Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception

I feel the same way about remembering the good old days of pc gaming...

Battletech: The Crescent Hawks Inception - That was a great game for its time. I played it when it first came out on my commodore 64. I hadn't yet bought my Amiga 500. I remember playing that game every day. It had a great plot and great game play. The C64 version had a nasty bug at the very end that would keep you from finishing the game (and crash the computer), but it was sporadic. So after several tries I got to see the ending.

I've played the game for nostalgia recently and it's still fun... yet quite primitive now (obviously).

God know how many hours I spent with Ultima I

Back
Top Bottom