What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I heard Warcraft was good. I don't expect too much from it, really.

Just watched a movie called Hearts In Atlantis from 2001. Starring Anthony Hopkins and is based on the Stephen King book. Pretty great, IMO. Cool yet strange atmosphere. Definitely check it out on your cable free movies channel.

My Valerian thread disappeared during server downtime... I kinda can't be arsed to write it again. A teaser trailer appeared:

Perhaps this "whitewashing" version won't be a disaster - I like the trailer.

Oh, this looks a lot better than I expected! <3

I'm not too convinced. It has the look of just another superhero movie, to me. Maybe just the way they've cut the trailer for wide appeal.

I'm with Jaz: looking better than expected! I recognized some fine scenes from the movies/series, which I liked.

The music piece in the trailer felt too strange though. I was so expecting to hear Kenji Kawai's iconic chimes and choir instead. Kinda like this:

Getting goosebumps this way. :) I hope they re-use at least some of his music.

That said, I read Clint Mansell will do the score, who is known for the soundtracks of Black Swan, Moon and Requiem for a Dream, which were all very good IIRC. So I'm staying hopeful.

Last edited:
Just saw Batman vs Superman… now i know why everyone hated it.

After a certain emotional discussion with another comic bookworm, a friend of mine, listening to the "smart" majority that already failed with Donnie Darko praise where I should have known better, finally watched it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2975590/

WTF imdb?
WTF critics?
WTF people?
The movie is a damned masterpiece!

To everyone else who can see what's under the surface in a movie, any, buy this one on BluRay. Right now. It's a goldmine!

He's hungry and he's coming. A better prelude even comics didn't set. Will the trial finally happen in the sequel, one can only hope.
10/10, definetly one of best Hollywood's products in the last decade.

Just saw the 2008 film "The Happening". It was pretty cool, actually, even though it didn't seem to score well in reviews, etc. I thought it was really eerie at times and even silly or goofy in weird ways and at weird times. It was about an airborne toxin or something released by plants and trees that was causing people to act zombified for a moment before then killing themselves in whatever way was available to them. Interesting movie and I'd recommend checking it out.

Site back? Good. The teaser:

Hopefully Square Enix won't make it rubbish like their rotten anime2game milk'em crapware on consoles.

Not sure where does this belong so I'm leaving it here.

Start watching then try to stop:

For all you Viggo Mortensen fans out there Captain Fantastic was very enjoyable. Nice to watch a movie like that after so many super hero movies.

Watched the 2014 Pacino flick, Manglehorn. Loved it.

Also saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Wow. Goosebumps the whole way. Can't wait to see the next one.

I thought TFA was one of the worst things i ever saw (first 20 minutes were great tho) Overall Swtor's cutscenes are better than the whole last movie

I loved how the movie was a real throwback like the original trilogy. Loved seeing returning characters and damn near getting emotional every other scene over simple stuff, lol.

I thought it was good and closer to the original trilogy in vibe. Original trilogy is my favorite but I also liked the second trilogy. This one will be liked better for those who liked the original trilogy more than the 2nd one, IMO.

Throwback? Ya mean copy/paste?

It's like JJ loved the originals so much he just recycled the elements, which is fine in a formulaic genre movie except in this case it's so obviously artificial. I have not seen Rogue One yet but I have high hopes for it since it is expanding on the story in real way rather than diluting it.

It definitely repeated some themes and elements from the original trilogy, but I thought it worked well in this case. I thought it worked well because while it felt very familiar, it had enough twists and turns that kept it interesting the whole way and also had plenty of those classic small touches that the first movies had. I honestly can't wait to see the next 2 movies and I'm really interested to see where it goes from the end of the first one, story-wise.

With luj1 here. I found TFA so … underwhelming. One or two nice new characters, but I could have done without the old ones - they outlived their usefulness after Ep. VI. The TFA story could have gone somewhere but it didn't. The only scene that was actually new and different was the one with the Raid guys. Shame that it was no longer than what, five minutes?
I'm looking forward to Rogue One, however! As Philistine said, it is expanding on the OT's story, and that's fine. Rehashing is isn't.

Amen. JJ Abrams is a pasticheur. It's like watching an advertising executive recreating a 70s TV commercial for ironic/nostalgic effect. Terrible movie.

Back
Top Bottom