Bethesda Softworks - No new Elder Scrolls game announcements for a very long time

I'd suspect this to be a way to artificially pump up ESO player base. Where else to go if you are desperately craving for a TES fix?

Based on what?

The time between TES games has always been very long, and now that they've started developing Fallout games as well, it stands to reason it'd take even longer.

Skyrim was November 2011 - and Oblivion was March 2006. That's 5.5 years.

Todd Howard made it clear that they prefer to make announcements reasonably close to release, and even more so in the future. Fallout 4 is coming out in four months.

If we haven't heard an announcement before 2017, then we can reasonably start the paranoid speculation.

Skyrim sold more than 20 million copies. ESO isn't even in the same universe when it comes to that kind of success.

You think they'd deliberately postpone such a gigantic money maker in an effort to force people to play something (by a completely different team) that they've already turned down?

Makes zero sense to me.

It's just console peasants who want the game on PS4 and Xbone cuz they have sold or trashed their old gen toys.
They will probably get what they want, too. Bethesda would be crazy to not jump on the remastering bandwagon and almost effortlessly score a few million sales from current gen owners.

Yeah, but what is there to remaster aside from maybe textures?

Just the assets in general and include some new features inspired by mods. If we're lucky, they might use the added memory to increase the size of the cells - to improve the streaming aspect of the game.

It would be pretty trivial - and given how many PS4s and XBOs are out there, it could almost be considered criminally stupid not to do a "remaster".

Well, if you think like a suit that is.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a PC version of a remaster. These games can always be better. That said, such a version is likely to break most mods, so maybe it'll end up being counterproductive.

It makes sense from a business perspective, but I, and I assume most players, would rather see new titles. I hope the mods on consoles will work well so there will be no reason for such remastered versions of games. And like I said, I would rather see Morrowind remastered since it is almost fifteen years old and didn't age that well. Maybe something along the lines of Skywind and Morroblivion but keeping the game mechanics from Morrowind that were good (more skills, more armor elements, etc.). But I guess it's not probable seeing where they're going with Fallout 4.

It makes sense from a business perspective, but I, and I assume most players, would rather see new titles. I hope the mods on consoles will work well so there will be no reason for such remastered versions of games. And like I said, I would rather see Morrowind remastered since it is almost fifteen years old and didn't age that well. Maybe something along the lines of Skywind and Morroblivion but keeping the game mechanics from Morrowind that were good (more skills, more armor elements, etc.). But I guess it's not probable seeing where they're going with Fallout 4.

I don't think a remastered version means you won't be seeing new titles. It means a new and better version of a game that you might not have played (PS4 owners, for instance), and done in a short time.

New titles take a lot longer to develop, so it's not a black and white issue.

Making a remaster of Morrowind would take much longer and require much more work, and they don't have a base version to work from that sold more than 20 million copies, meaning it doesn't make as much business sense.

The usual Beth PR bull…

My two cents: Fallout 4, couple of DLC's or even an expansion if things are going Beth's way, MAYBE a spinoff a la New Vegas (yes, it's a big maybe) and the predictible announcement of TES VI with the "we've actually started working on it right after Skyrim".

You can contradict me in two years tops.:)

P.S.: never trust anything coming from Petey and Todd. Lying is their first nature.

I don't think a remastered version means you won't be seeing new titles. It means a new and better version of a game that you might not have played (PS4 owners, for instance), and done in a short time.

New titles take a lot longer to develop, so it's not a black and white issue.

Making a remaster of Morrowind would take much longer and require much more work, and they don't have a base version to work from that sold more than 20 million copies, meaning it doesn't make as much business sense.

Yeah, but I mean, if they take time to remaster the game, it is time taken from development of new titles. And I would imagine remastering a game the size of Skyrim would take at least six months - it's not hard to do but it takes time. Unless they outsource it or use assets from mods. Or, they could hire moders to do it - come to think of it that would actually be pretty cool.
My point is I'm not against remastered versions, but I think their time could be spent better, especially if the game in question is still pretty much playable.

Because I greatly prefer TES to Fallout, I wish that they'd outsource the Fallout games and just focus on TES. That is greedy and selfish though :) I can only imagine the burnout from just making the same basic game over and over. Having two big series is probably good for the creative juices.

Going by their past games, there wont be any announcement until 2019-2020 and the game will release less than 6 months from said announcement.

Morrowind:2002
Oblivion:2006
Skyrim: 2011

Fallout 3: 2008
Fallout 4:2015

Going from this I'd expect it a little earler. Bethesda seems to put out one of their epic open world games every 2-4 years. I'd expect an Elder Scrolls game next.

Yeah, but I mean, if they take time to remaster the game, it is time taken from development of new titles. And I would imagine remastering a game the size of Skyrim would take at least six months - it's not hard to do but it takes time. Unless they outsource it or use assets from mods. Or, they could hire moders to do it - come to think of it that would actually be pretty cool.
My point is I'm not against remastered versions, but I think their time could be spent better, especially if the game in question is still pretty much playable.

I agree with you, to an extent. But I think you're touching upon something with the outsourcing theory, because I think that's the usual approach. Not to say the Skyrim people won't be spending SOME time overseeing and perhaps controlling the project, but I really doubt it would have much of an impact on the development of a future TES.

Game development is a lot less linear than people seem to think. You can't just give money to a team and expect something great in return. First, you need the right ideas and the right kind of inspiration - and then you need a period of brainstorming.

There's no guarantee such a thing is going on for TES VI right now.

For all we know, a proper remaster could be the spark that ignites the future of the franchise :)

Morrowind:2002
Oblivion:2006
Skyrim: 2011

Fallout 3: 2008
Fallout 4:2015

Going from this I'd expect it a little earler. Bethesda seems to put out one of their epic open world games every 2-4 years. I'd expect an Elder Scrolls game next.

2015+4 years = 2019 (November which can easily slip to 2020).

Fallout 4 is basically releasing when TES6 should have been released if they had kept to a 2 years between games schedule.

I certainly hope they wouldn't waste their time remastering any of the previous titles.

As someone who only plays the PC version of these types of games, I would have zero interest. The modding community is constantly remastering these games already, and probably in a superior way than what Bethesda would do.

Very unfortunate. ESO is simply not appealing in any way.

Sad to see a great franchise die out like this.

It would be so nice to have an ES that was even more amazing than Skyrim with maybe the added feature of being able to host co-op for a small number of friends (one can dream).

I'm not overjoyed with the Fallout 4 bits either. I'm looking forward to the game itself but don't give a crap about being able to build a base or a house. I have minecraft and other builder games for that - and that is not why anybody plays Fallout 3/NV. Adding random crap nobody wants - or coming out with the game nobody wants (ESO) hasn't gone so well. Why can't these people just stick to doing what they do well?

I agree with you, to an extent. But I think you're touching upon something with the outsourcing theory, because I think that's the usual approach. Not to say the Skyrim people won't be spending SOME time overseeing and perhaps controlling the project, but I really doubt it would have much of an impact on the development of a future TES.

Game development is a lot less linear than people seem to think. You can't just give money to a team and expect something great in return. First, you need the right ideas and the right kind of inspiration - and then you need a period of brainstorming.

There's no guarantee such a thing is going on for TES VI right now.

For all we know, a proper remaster could be the spark that ignites the future of the franchise :)

I admit I know little about practices in the industry but I hope we are right about outsourcing. After all, Bethesda is big enough to get someone else to do it.
And I wouldn't be disappointed that much if they decide to do it themselves and take time from developing new titles - Fallout 4 is coming out and I'm yet to play New Vegas as well as Original Sin and Wasteland 2, so I'll have something to play in the meantime. I just hope I don't get hit by a bus or something while waiting for TES VI :D

I certainly hope they wouldn't waste their time remastering any of the previous titles.

As someone who only plays the PC version of these types of games, I would have zero interest. The modding community is constantly remastering these games already, and probably in a superior way than what Bethesda would do.

And I hope mods work well on consoles so there's no need to cater to that audience with remastered versions.

I admit I know little about practices in the industry but I hope we are right about outsourcing. After all, Bethesda is big enough to get someone else to do it.
And I wouldn't be disappointed that much if they decide to do it themselves and take time from developing new titles - Fallout 4 is coming out and I'm yet to play New Vegas as well as Original Sin and Wasteland 2, so I'll have something to play in the meantime. I just hope I don't get hit by a bus or something while waiting for TES VI :D

And I hope mods work well on consoles so there's no need to cater to that audience with remastered versions.

I'm really not sure where they are going to get the horsepower to run mods on consoles.

Most games are already running at 30fps or less so where do they get the headroom for mods?

I'm currently playing bloodborne on PS4 and I get quite a bit of low frame rate issues in certain spots even stuttering in some and the load times are atrocious. I played skyrim on PC so I don't know about its load times but add mods and I'm guessing it could get pretty ugly.

On topic, this news make me very sad as I was ready for tes 6 yesterday. As someone said above get rid of fallout and just do tes. Yes I'm selfish also.:)

On topic, this news make me very sad as I was ready for tes 6 yesterday. As someone said above get rid of fallout and just do tes. Yes I'm selfish also.:)

If every RPG was set in a high fantasy world, I'd probably have quit playing them a long time ago. :)

They will try to fit two releases of TES over the current gen of consoles, in order to split costs of developpment.

Fall Out is close to release, sending confusing messages with TES would damage the hype building process.

No TES announcement for a very long time sends the clear message that now is the time to market FO4.
Passed that time, well, who knows?

I am sad to hear there is going to be long wait to TES6. Fallout setting never really appealed to me to they are not a replacement for my TES fix. I might need to give ESO another go and see how that goes...

Back
Top Bottom