Fable4 - Kinect guilty for layoffs?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
As CVS writes, Lionhead fired ppl and is explaining bad critics and low sales by consumers not liking Kinect:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/373274/layoffs-at-lionhead/

Fable4 - failed. But is it about Kinect really?

I bet it's not. 99% of the game you're looking at horse butt waiting to see… Well… Probably some profanity. :)
I'm the one who would never buy such crap, Kinect or not.

I have an Xbox and zero desire to get Kinect.

I liked Fable 2 but there no way I would have gotten F4.

I found the first Fable to be very underwhelming, were the other ones really that much worse?

In my opinion, yeah. A lot of people seem to prefer Fable 2 - but I think much of the old-school charm was lost in the streamlining.

The first Fable was actually a very good game with one huge issue = it was WAY too short. It was the kind of game that deserved to be bigger in most ways and I would have ranked it among my favorites, had that been the case.

Naturally, you have to appreciate the tone and the light-hearted nature of the setting. To me, it was the perfect classic fairy tale setting - and I think there's room for such games.

Also, I think the character development system was much better in the first game.

That said, it was absolutely NOTHING close to what Molyneux originally promised, but you'd have to be a fool to expect otherwise.

I think this was misconceived from the start. People were already grumbling about Fable 3 dumbing down and cutting elements out of the game...so why go further down the road and have a game in the franchise which robs the player of the most fundamental thing, control over player movement?

People who play RPGs want control over their character, they want to control how they develop, what they choose to do next, how to respond in conversation, etc. They don't want to be waving around like dicks in front of their television as their character lurches from one contrived situation to the next.

That said, it was absolutely NOTHING close to what Molyneux originally promised, but you'd have to be a fool to expect otherwise.
While I did not expect it to be nearly what he promised it to be, I did at least expect the core thing which he kept talking about during the entire design process (even near the games release) to actually be there. He kept on talking about choice and how you would have an impact on the game, how it was up to you to decide how the story would progress, so I expected there to be plenty of interesting choices & multiple pats through the story. Instead we got a cartoonishly evil and a sickeningly good option, and they both followed the same story.

I played the PC version, and it was a bit longer than the Xbox version (it had that extra part at the end), but I never actually finished it. The game simply got too repetitive and boring. I like the art style and the not so serious tone of the game, but that was basically it, the rest of the game was just underwhelming. Not horrible, not very good either.

While I did not expect it to be nearly what he promised it to be, I did at least expect the core thing which he kept talking about during the entire design process (even near the games release) to actually be there. He kept on talking about choice and how you would have an impact on the game, how it was up to you to decide how the story would progress, so I expected there to be plenty of interesting choices & multiple pats through the story. Instead we got a cartoonishly evil and a sickeningly good option, and they both followed the same story.

I played the PC version, and it was a bit longer than the Xbox version (it had that extra part at the end), but I never actually finished it. The game simply got too repetitive and boring. I like the art style and the not so serious tone of the game, but that was basically it, the rest of the game was just underwhelming. Not horrible, not very good either.

I learned many years before to discount Molyneux and his ability to bullshit. All the way back to Populous 2 and later Dungeon Keeper.

As for Fable, I think it had a wonderful charm and a very immersive fairy tale quality. It didn't hurt that they hired a Hollywood composer for the excellent score.

I loved how you could freely combine powers from the 3 paths - and I found the storyline quite well done. I especially loved the "Gothic" stuff like the werewolves. The Demon Doors were great fun and I was always a big fan of riddles.

But I'd have been incredibly disappointed if I had trusted any of the earlier previews - because it was extremely hyped, all the way back from when they called it Project X (or something?!?!). It was supposed to revolutionise all RPGs and so forth. Typical Molyneux bullshit.

+1 making this thread in the General Non-RPG forum.

The giant pink polka dotted elephant in the room when it comes to Kinect is that it is such a gigantic resource hog on already substantially aged technology that was arguably under-RAMed from the start.

That aside, I'm also not a big fan of the over-focus in recent years on changing the way we interact with games. There are some good uses for devices such as the Wii Remote and whatnot. But I always thought the 'big pitch' for consoles was that you could get nice and cozy on your couch and play on a BIG screen TV.

Then out come all these different devices that get you off the couch and jumping around. Sometimes I don't mind moving around playing a game. But when it comes to RPGs… I really don't want my body to be the controller. I just want a traditional controller that allows me to control the game. That is it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that.

Back
Top Bottom