Fallout 3 - Interviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The official Fallout 3 site is pointing out a GC interview with Eurogamer talking to Pete Hines:
Eurogamer: Why exactly did you decide to take up the challenge of a Fallout game in the first place? Was there a really a burning desire to work with the franchise?
Pete Hines: That's honestly how it happened. It was just us sitting around talking about doing something else besides the Elder Scrolls, something RPG-ish, and wondering, what could we do? We had discussions and agreed collectively - seeing as nobody's doing anything with it, if we could get Fallout, we would love to do a Fallout game, because it's both very different from Elder Scrolls and something that a bunch of us really loved as a game and thought we could do well as a franchise. We were sitting there thinking we wanted to play another Fallout game, and if nobody else was going to make one then we might as well do it ourselves. So we did; we went up to our president and our senior management and said, look, can you guys make this happen? And they knew some folks at Interplay and had conversations and worked out how to get it. We're very excited and honoured to be carrying on this franchise.
...and MTV's G-Hole has a video featuring Emil, Todd Howard and Istvan Pely (thanks, Briosofreak).
More information.

thnx to NMA review i lost interest. it hurts to much to see a IP being raped.
spares me time wasting on reading new stuff.

I live in Denmark, Europe, and I can see the wholw thing - I'm watching it right now.
It is possible that copyrights restraints prevents this from being shown in some select countries, though...

However, I doubt what Pete Hines said is true - about the Fallout part.

I tend to agree with brother none that it looks just like a generic post apoc game with a sprinkle of Fallout strayed on top of it. It looks like Bethesda wanted to make their own post apoc game, and then suddenly realized that 'hey, the Fallout license, and later IP, is out there' so 'let's buy it'. And so they did.

From what Brother None and SuaSide told us in the preview at NMA, Vault 101 do resemble the original Fallouts pretty good. My guess (although it is only aguess) would be that Bethesda really wanted to their own 3D first/third person shooter rpg like game. Then bought Fallout, changed a few things here & there, and sort of added the Vault 101 sequence to what they already had developed - for their own post apoc game. (but again, this is only a guess...)

I'll comment more on the NMA preview in that thread later :)

They've had the license to make Fallout 3 for at least three years. There might have possibly been a few ideas for a post-apoc game before that but I doubt they could have anything like what you're suggesting. They might have changed some things since acquring the franchise but I'm not sure what they would do differently knowing they own the whole thing instead of just renting it.

Back
Top Bottom