Hellp with EAX and general audio

jakebaker13

Watchdog
I just custom ordered my first gaming PC. My motherboard is a GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R (it has 7.1 Dolby audio)

This is really a two part question:

First: one of the games I ordered lists Sound device, EAX, and DYNAMIC MUSIC in the audio options. what do these options mean and which one would I choose to support a 7.1 headset/ 5.1 surround sound system?

Second: I am looking to buy the logitech Z-5500 5.1 audio system. What cables do I need for this to plug into my mother board?

Here is a link to my motherboard that shows the inputs on the back, just click on the small thumbnail below the main picture http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#ov

Here is a link to the surround system. Just click on specifications and it says what cable it comes with. (A 6 chanall direct cable) http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

I am sorry if I placed this thread in the wrong location.

The 6 channel direct cable has 3 separate connectors (1 for 2 rear satelits, another for the 2 side speakers and 1 for center/subwoofer units), which are color coded. Just plug-in to the similar colored audio jacks from the motherboard or sound card. The motherboard manual should contains more information, and the z-5500 has a big installation sheet and a detail manual.

PS; for gaming purpose choose the EAX, which also work fine for movie and general computing usage. Then make sure the audio system of your windows is set to 5.1.

Last edited:
The 6 channel direct cable has 3 separate connectors (1 for 2 rear satelits, another for the 2 side speakers and 1 for center/subwoofer units), which are color coded. Just plug-in to the similar colored audio jacks from the motherboard or sound card. The motherboard manual should contains more information, and the z-5500 has a big installation sheet and a detail manual.

PS; for gaming purpose choose the EAX, which also work fine for movie and general computing usage. Then make sure the audio system of your windows is set to 5.1.

This is a stupid question and I am sorry to ask it, but When you say make sure the audio system in windows is set to 5.1... How do I do that? Do I go to control panel>Audo (or something similar) and adjust it from there?

Complete 5.1 sets for PC should come with all necessary cables. Finding the correct connectors can take a couple of tries, even with the manuals for both mainboard and box set. It only has to be done once, though, and it will work eventually.

Maybe somebody with an English Windows can tell you more precisely where it's located:
System Control Center -> The place were ca. 30 icons to configure everything are listed
Sound & Audio Configuration
Set your speakers to 5.1

The control software for your audio driver should automatically load. Double click on it and check if you can configure 5.1 there too.

Both should offer a surround test (for example a bee flying circles around you).

After that play around with the settings for the sound card. The equalizer presets sound quite differently. Select an appropriate one for gaming. Switch when you do other stuff.

All this stuff is pretty straight forward. Not half as complicated as it sounds.

Complete 5.1 sets for PC should come with all necessary cables. Finding the correct connectors can take a couple of tries, even with the manuals for both mainboard and box set. It only has to be done once, though, and it will work eventually.

Maybe somebody with an English Windows can tell you more precisely where it's located:
System Control Center -> The place were ca. 30 icons to configure everything are listed
Sound & Audio Configuration
Set your speakers to 5.1

The control software for your audio driver should automatically load. Double click on it and check if you can configure 5.1 there too.

Both should offer a surround test (for example a bee flying circles around you).

After that play around with the settings for the sound card. The equalizer presets sound quite differently. Select an appropriate one for gaming. Switch when you do other stuff.

All this stuff is pretty straight forward. Not half as complicated as it sounds.

That sounds about what I was thinking I would have to do. I was just making sure before I tried it and messed something up

Sorry, but I'm hijacking this thread. ;)

I thought it'd be nice to have a sound card in my "gaming PC".
I just wanted to hear how EAX sounds like.

So, now my question is : What older Creative sound card can I buy for my XP-based "gaming PC" ?

It shouldn't cost more than ca. 20 Euros and be Direktx 9.0c compatible, of course.

The current sound chip is an onboard thing by VIA.

Problem seems to be solved. A forum member was so kind to offer me a soundcard for which seemed to be (at least I understood it this way) no use anymore.

Back
Top Bottom