Has anyone played ShadowFlare?

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
It's an episodic game and the first chapter is free. It's not looking very deep from that first chapter and was wondering if it gets any better later. It's similar to diablo with half the classes and a quarter of the items, at least so far.

No it doesnt get any deeper. It's not a bad game but its strictly a hack and slash that you play for the loot and that's it. It is closer to dungeon siege than it is to diablo. No skills, no character customization. You play with a sword, youre a warrior. You use magic, you're a mage. Use bows, you're a hunter. Thats it. If you're the type of person that likes the loot hunting, its you're kind of game. If you like anything else, its not for you.

What's amusing to me, is that they still want $40 for an 8 year old game. Even if I did enjoy the first episode, I'd never pay $40 for the rest. I'll do without, but I imagine that most folks will just torrent the thing. I'd pay $20, at the most, if it was still decent.

I honestly don't remember what I paid for it, but when it first came out, you purchased ep.1, ep. 2, and ep. 3, then got ep. 4 for free. After a while they gave you the first for free, then bought the rest if you wanted. A much better way, IMO. But I agree, this is a $20 game tops. And even then, there are much better options for the money. It does the loot hunting thing VERY well. It just doesn't do anything else, unfortunately. The one nice touch it had though, was that you had a companion dog with you, who would fight and grow in strength along with you. And you would need to use him for some of the switches needed to open doors to progress. A nice touch. There was also a card game IIRC, but it's been a long time and I dont remember exactly how it worked, but after you found all the cards you could play I think blackjack for gold against some opponents.

Back
Top Bottom