Your dream game (that will never be made)

Sounds reasonably close to what Divinty:Original Sin is. Not exactly, but probably close enough for you to look into in if you have not already.

I backed Original sin on ks but I haven't touched it in alpha/beta because I don't want to spoil it.While I have very high expectations for it I don't think it will be my dream game, but I hope I will be proven wrong.

My dream game would be something like Mount and Blade if the multiplayer was like the campaign. All the kings should be real players.

Throw in some dungeons with unique 1-per-server legendary items that drop on death, tighten up the combat to be more like Dark Souls, add a good siege system with fully destructible walls, be able to hold tournaments like in Defender of the Crown, Go Raiding, rescue damsels in distress, kidnap other kingdoms damsels and put them in distress, etc, etc.

One of the other games I've wanted to see for ages is a real Star Wars RPG.

I have a similar thing in the pocket : An Star Wars Adventure game. From the time of the movies (OT). Featuring the heroes from the movies. And being purely an adventure game, and that means : No combat at all.

I have a similar thing in the pocket : An Star Wars Adventure game. From the time of the movies (OT). Featuring the heroes from the movies. And being purely an adventure game, and that means : No combat at all.

A Star Wars game without combat?! I think we all know how likely it is they'll ever make one of those.

I think something like that, in true old Lucas Arts at their height form, would be an awesome game.

My dream-game includes:

- Arcanum-like Setting (Elves, Dwarves, Guns, Magic, Zombies… a lot of my guilty pleasures are included in this setting^^).
- Scenario: Exploring the new World (maybe some weird hybrid of America and Africa);
- different starting points - fugitive, colonial settler, adventurer, archeologist…
- full party creation and recruitable NPCs, detailed character-creation
- at least a party of 6, maybe 8 or more
- turn based combat
- Storm of Zehir-like Overland-Map; Realms of Arkania-like Complexity
- lots of dungeons, some megadungeons
- lots of different factions
- some kind of Base-Building, maybe a Settlement, a caravan, an airship or a normal ship
- Choices and Consequences

A Star Wars game without combat?! I think we all know how likely it is they'll ever make one of those.

I think something like that, in true old Lucas Arts at their height form, would be an awesome game.

Just as you said. A game at the height of DOTT, for example, or Indy 4. Or even Monkey island 3, which I actually liked a lot. The difference to Monkey Island 4 was far more hefty. (MI4 was horrible crap ! I'll never play it in decades !)

What my game would have:

• Inventory and skill system in the spirit of Anarchy Online (I have yet to see a skill/stat/inventory system as detailed as this one..even in single player games)
  • Action/Tactical combat similar to DA1/2/BG/etc (Pausing is essential to a great detailed combat system and good looking games..hard to stop to smell the roses while you're getting your ass beat)
  • Fully voice, animated, and subtitled story (I have a toddler..I need to be able to hear what's going on when he's running around and read what's going on when he's shouting)
  • Combined linear story and open world optional (Sometimes I just want to go where I'm told and see what the writers wanted to happen. Not wander aimlessly.)
  • Party-based optional Solo (I've always been fond of the dynamic you can get from designing and leveling multiple characters. But, soloing can be a nice replay challenge)
  • Similar D&D 3.5 Ruleset for character design. Good mix of melee/magic/etc. (Just one fighting style is so damn boring and makes replay pointless)
  • No forced timed blocking or shit. (I want to focus on the game not stare at mobs twitch-timing combat.)
  • Good optional tactics AI programming system (Because sometimes I can't focus on jumping back and forth micromanaging)
  • Persistent and fluid vendor system. (There's no reason some random pauper selling socks with holes in it should be able to buy my shiny-gold-sword-of-god for 1,000 gold and even if he could he sure as hell wouldn't leave it in his inventory for months staring at it)
  • No immortal or immune npcs. (Story should adjust with whoever the player enjoys in the story.)
  • No artificial difficulty adjustments. (Being knocked down constantly during a fight despite being immune to knockdown just because it 'makes the fight more strategic' is bullshit. Make your AI smarter..not cheating)
  • None of this hate list and taunting shit for artificial aggro control. It's not realistic. Come up with a better system. (If I'm trying to kill you and someone keeps full-healing you, I'm going to go stab that bitch immediately..despite whatever insults you might throw at me. This ties in with smarter AI)
  • Smooth controls with every single option configurable. (I don't care if you like your left scroll to turn right and right to turn left..I don't)
  • WASD not point and click. (None of these "port" games with shitty controls and menu functions expecting you to use a controller or live with pseudo-keyboard controls)
  • Pre-seeded randomized dungeons/quest-areas if there are any dungeons/quest-areas. (Not much fun replaying a game if you know where everything is already)
  • None of this fed-ex quest shit. (I don't care if you want 20 batwings… I'm on an epic mission here.)
  • SHORT tutorial, optional skip (Maybe I don't want to read all these random popups and cliche story intros for the 50th time?)
  • Speaking of skip..cutscene and dialogue skipping on ALL cutscenes and dialogue. (Reloading saves and having to watch it all over is a bit boring)
  • The skip button is different than the SELECT CHAT OPTION BUTTON (Yeah, I'm talking to you Bioware)
  • If a section of dialogue doesn't fit in the subtitle box, there's a pause or it's segmented into another option like "Please, continue." (Nothing more annoying than reading subtitles that get overwritten before you can finish)
  • No Blur or Bloom effects and some kind of clip plane (I don't need to know what the dude in the neighboring galaxy is having for lunch, thanks)

I'm sure I have more..but, baby's punching me in the nuts.

Just as you said. A game at the height of DOTT, for example, or Indy 4. Or even Monkey island 3, which I actually liked a lot. The difference to Monkey Island 4 was far more hefty. (MI4 was horrible crap ! I'll never play it in decades !)

MI3 was probably my favorite, but, yeah, MI4 just didn't do it for me either. Hmmm... now you've got me wondering where my copy of DOTT is...

I don't think I've seen a proper Star Wars adventure game, but there is a very good Star Trek adventure game. Star Trek: 25th anniversary I think it's called. I loved that game, and I would really like an updated version (like Monkey Island 1 and 2). That's not going to happen though.

Easy, skyrim using D&D monster manuals and spell books, with the witcher type story telling and dark souls combat.

I have my dream game mostly designed and partially coded and fully abandoned on my backup drive.

Though I was intending to let slide a few features for sake of possibly completing it, that's out the window.

Party-based, first person perspective (see World of Xeen, Wizardry 6-7, etc...) with "depth" to the maps (in my binder, the completed maps with bodies of water or mountain paths have multiple smaller maps for the underwater segments/paths and caves, which were occasionally two or three or six z levels deep/high).

Combat is turn based, with options between full tactical combat or a faster combat in the style of WoX or such. Most combats could be solved without combat, for full xp. Basically, the only ones that couldn't are with mindless critters, such as undead, or politicians.

Characters had classes, but most development was done via skills. You could cross-train skills so each character could be unique. Classes had perks as they leveled, beyond their skills.

It is pretty much story driven, most encounters are scripted. Quests were interlinked, so that your choices in finishing one affected others. Probably only a third of the game was building on the main quest. Some quests could not be gotten depending on your choices in others, or if you killed off any npcs.

While it's heavily scripted, you could wander just about anywhere in the game except the 'endgame' area from the start, assuming you could find it. It was pretty much non-linear save the last couple of areas, and the tutorial scenario, which took place in a small town, and only had a single dungeon.

The engine would have came with a decent editor, allowing players (or me) to build additional scenarios. It also would have allowed custom critters, items, and spells (to an extent).

Basically, a newer Unlimited Adventures with greater emphasis on scripting, and a different ruleset.

Some surprisingly good dream games. Some of you should be game designers.

Vampire Overlord

The game starts out, youre a researcher of some type or another looking into myths and such. In the story mode part of the game, youre taken by a sexy female vampire who makes you one of the undead and her vampire prince.

Then it goes all sim on you, as you establish your vampire overlord stronghold in an old castle. There's daytime protections and servants you need to get going, and skulls you have to crack at night to further secure your castle and unholy un-life.

At night, there's lot of vampy stuff you can do like exploring the nocturnal world. It's totally open-world, and there's lots of stuff to check out from ruins and hidden enclaves, to subterranean caves and all that. There's other supernatural factions as well, werewolves, other vampire families, and other mythological supernatural beings you can form alliances with, or be in conflict with. So there's sort of a sim mode, exploration, and beneath your castle there's probably an old ancient labyrinth you can head down into for some action rpg hack and slash fun.

There's always the Church and other do-gooders trying to ruin your fun and destroy you, so you actively must keep up your defenses against them as well.

Strategy wise, you need to expand your influence and convert humans to your vampire subjects. Over time, you can actually grow to become more of an overlord, and command a legion of undead servants. You grow in power, and in an RTS style mode can command whole armies of undead in a battle for first national then worldwide dominance if you so desire.

Or, you can just piddle around in your castle with your vampire countess in your castle. Living the vampire domestic life, both taking flight as a bat to experience the countryside at night together, feasting on mortals and observing them from afar.
Want to just walk around the moors under a full moon, listening to the wolves howl hand in hand with your vampire countess for hours? You can do it. Want to lead a team of vampires into the heart of a lycanthrope lord's lair who has crossed you? You can do it. Want to lead armies of vampires against the nations superpowers? You can do it

That's my fantasy game

Party based Ultima IX using the Bob White plot.

When all that work was being done on the DS Ultima mods, I had really hoped someone would do that.

Mine would probably be an MMO actually. But one WITHOUT any PVP. A game based on exploration, global quests that permanently change the game world, a really deep loot system, and a skill system that is incredibly deep. No fed-ex or purely grinding type quests. Cities on the scale of cities with real depth and size. Lots of hidden areas and in game discovered elements. I have a lot of it mapped out, including the skill system which I think would be really cool.

Probably much more modest than the other ideas but still a dream:

World of Xeen remade in the Might and Magic X engine.

Probably much more modest than the other ideas but still a dream:

World of Xeen remade in the Might and Magic X engine.

I've not played M&M X yet, but a modernised World of Xeen would be cool.

There's one idea I've got that's not too far out of the realm of possibility. Imagine a Conan (or Conanesque swords and sorcery) game, but with the brutal, free-flow combat of the Batman Arkham games. I say Conan because that's the obvious choice for that sort of thing, and would justify the player being a complete badass in the same way that being Batman does, but it could just as easily be a standalone game. Hell, there are old franchises that could be brought back to life with a game like this quite easily. An Arkham-style Wizards and Warriors (the NES ones) or Golden Axe would be amazing.

It could easily be set on an island (being shipwrecked while escaping a slave galley or fleeing some pirates is a classic of the genre) to restrict the environment. Maybe some weird sect of priests lives there, and one of them's awakened a horror best left to the ages. Our hero could then wander around trying to work out what's happening, looking for a way off the island, and unlocking tools/spells to open new areas to explore, Metroid-style.

Why it's unlikely to happen: Well, there are a few reasons. One, as good as the Rocksteady Arkham games were, the spinoff Origins shows how easy it is to take something that works and screw it up by not taking the time to polish it. More importantly, modern mass media just doesn't get this style of fantasy, so it would probably either degenerate into a half-assed generic action game or get shoved into a high fantasy epic mould. To make it really work, it would take both someone willing to give it a high degree of polish and who understands the works of Howard, Leiber, Lovecraft, and their buddies, which just doesn't seem likely.

I don't have much interest in making it myself, but something like might and magic would be very easy kind of game to make on a modern 3D engine. I am surprised no one has ever made a serious crack at it.

That game frayed knights could easily have been a real M&M successor instead of what it is.

Since playing Baldur's Gate for the first time (and loving it), I had a new idea for a game I'd like to make.

Baldur's Gate meets Suikoden.

For those who aren't familiar with Suikoden, it's a Playstation RPG that has 108 recruitable characters. Most of them are hidden or take some effort to get to join you. They all have their own battle manuevers, combo attacks, spells, classes, etc.

There is also a home base that you get in those games where all the characters you recruit gather. Not only can you switch them in and out of your party, just having them in your stronghold will make a change to your stronghold in some way. Some characters will open up an item shop, others will sell you scrolls, tell your fortune, train you, offer you rare items and quests, etc.

So, I'd like to see Baldur's Gate isometric gameplay with 100 recruitable characters and a stronghold that changes based on who you recruit.

Now, I don't expect all 100 characters to have one million words of dialog and romance options, but each character would have a personality and some unique text/voice as they do in Baldur's Gate.

I personally prefer quantity of companions that you can recruit over a handful of them that have a million words of flavor text each, but that's just me.

So, you'd meet this characters in the wilds, in towns, dungeons, etc., and they would join your cause. Sometimes you'd have to help them with their problems first, by either doing a quest for them or having some other unique event that would trigger them to join your group (such as having a minimum of 50 recruited characters already, which would impress them enough to join you, etc.).

Back at the stronghold it would upgrade and evolve based on which characters you currently have.

Some characters would be extremely difficult to get to join, and these would be the most powerful characters. For these characters, you would need to lure them by possessing rare items or doing some difficult quest to get them to join you.

And again, the game would be like Baldur's Gate, with large, isometric maps to explore and a party of 6 to 8 characters at one time.

Like Suikoden, some characters would have a natural affinity with other characters and allow them to unlock special maneuvers in battle. For example, a brother and sister duo who can do some special combo attack that their father taught them. So it would benefit you to have characters with affinity in the party together.

One could even expand this idea further and have affinity grow between party members based on how they interact with each other. Characters at your stronghold could become friends and train together, unlocking some new spell or ability to use in combat if they are both present in the party. Things like that to encourage experimentation and interactivity in your party.

I haven't fully fleshed this idea out (obviously), but it's something I'd like to see. Baldur's Gate is an amazing game but I feel it could have benefited by having a home base stronghold where you can send all the party members who wish to join you, rather than just leaving them in the wilds never to be seen or heard from again.

Back
Top Bottom