EA get exlusive deal to make Star Wars games

I never finished Dark Forces despite playing the sequels. I remember trying to play it a few years ago, but the 320x200 resolution killed it for me. That game would be a good candidate for an HD remake.

There was a project to remake it in the Jedi Academy engine. I'm not sure what happened to it and I'm too lazy to google it.

I loved me some Dark Forces back in the day. That's what Star Wars is supposed to be, a rebel agent blasting some stormtroopers with nary a mention of sith or padawans to be found.

I never finished Dark Forces despite playing the sequels. I remember trying to play it a few years ago, but the 320x200 resolution killed it for me. That game would be a good candidate for an HD remake.

Dark Forces is one of my 'once a year' games ... what I really miss is the 'Mac Enhanced' version - it was double resolution with enhanced sound, and came out a few months after the PC version. After that I only played the Mac version until a few years ago when the last remnants of old Mac OS support were yanked ...

One thing I love is the level design - great levels, but there are no saves - they are meant to be accomplished in one sitting. It makes for a great challenge.

There was a project to remake it in the Jedi Academy engine. I'm not sure what happened to it and I'm too lazy to google it.

They had made some progress on the JKII engine, then switched to Jedi Academy and released at least the first 6 levels ... not sure because the site is dead at this point.

There was a Shadows of the Empire mod also, and it got to the first level as I recall ... then died. There was a Jedi Knight project, not sure it got anywhere.

Dark Forces is one of my 'once a year' games … what I really miss is the 'Mac Enhanced' version - it was double resolution with enhanced sound, and came out a few months after the PC version. After that I only played the Mac version until a few years ago when the last remnants of old Mac OS support were yanked …

One thing I love is the level design - great levels, but there are no saves - they are meant to be accomplished in one sitting. It makes for a great challenge.

Interesting, isn't it possible to run on some emulator ?

They had made some progress on the JKII engine, then switched to Jedi Academy and released at least the first 6 levels … not sure because the site is dead at this point.

Yeah, I remember playing that. The only thing that really sticks out in my memory is that they didn't adjust the accuracy of the stormtrooper rifle.

Interesting, isn't it possible to run on some emulator ?

Yeah, I had 'Sheepshaver' emulator for a while but really wasn't worth the bother. I just play it in Steam at this point.

Yeah, I had 'Sheepshaver' emulator for a while but really wasn't worth the bother. I just play it in Steam at this point.

Also, XL Engine - The same engine that aims to bring Daggerfall to modern hardware.

Dark Forces I (as I still call it) is *still* banned in Germany !
In an recent printed gaming magazine there was a look back towards LucasArts with a list of all released games - Dark Forces I wasn't even mentioned ! The package was symbolized by a black rectangle, and the name substituted by the words "Indiziertes Spiel".

Wait, what? Why would Dark Forces be banned? Is punching a dragon to death frowned upon or something? :p

Germany has always been very strict on that.

Was that completed or is it still a work in progress?

Still WIP, but unlike most similar projects the developer continues to release updates. So basically fingers are crossed :)

Still WIP, but unlike most similar projects the developer continues to release updates. So basically fingers are crossed :)

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out. I gave up on his Daggerfall project because I doubt that will ever be completed, but hopefully he'll finish Dark Forces. It would be nice to be able to play that in hi-res.

Back
Top Bottom