3d rotation

Unrestigered

Banned
Recently, because of arguing with some window-licker, I played some IWD. After that I decided to give NWN another try. The camera was just a mess and a huge pain in the ass. So I saw Kyn, which I am not a huge fan of got a pretty big patch, so I decided to check it out figuring maybe they added some fun stuff. Nope, they added a rotating camera. I then went back to a game of Drakensang 2 I have been playing occasionally because spending 15 minutes looting and then skinning animals, or 5 minutes picking an herb makes it a pain in the ass. The pathing in this game is a million times better than IWD, but I thought of the camera and asked what exactly having a rotating camera adds to the game?

I saw a lot of posts about Pillars of Eternity and the expansion and I have nothing to play at all now so I restarted a game of PoE.

I think D:OS was not as good setting and quest-wise as Wasteland 2, but when I think of each game I have that daunted-hassle feeling when I think of WL2, and I don't with D:OS. Same for PoE.

I think a fixed camera for party games is so, so much better. It removes a huge, unnecessary, time sink hassle feature that adds nothing to the game or game play.

Why do people whine when a game doesn't have a rotating camera, why is D:OS touting the rotating camera as it's biggest new feature in the EE? It literally does nothing but make the game much more of a hassle.

I know the whinny babies will not be normal and stop whining, but I think a fixed camera option should be a standard, and the games should be developed with a fixed camera in mind.

This, of course, only applies to games ment to be plaid with a birds-eye view, not with single character action games such as Gothic, Bloodlines, Demonicon, etc.

Anyone else agree that a rotating camera in D:OS will add nothing and was a huge waste of money and resources that could have went into make the game better for all, not a bunch of cry babies that like games to be a huge hassle?

"Why do people whine when a game doesn't have a rotating camera..."

Well, I would answer, but it seems I'm far too much of a baby to help you out of your ignorance.

Well, let me ask it this way - would you like it if a bunch of people whined enough when a rotating camera birds-eye view game was being made that they went fixed camera only?

There is like one fixed camera game that comes out every 50 years with a decent production value. Why do people have to ruin it when one is finally made?

Do you really think in the case of D:OS and Kyn that the effort and resources used to spin a camera around could not have been used in basically any other way to make the game actually better?

Adding a camera rotation to D:OS, Kyn, WL2 (designed for rotation but would have been a much better game without it), any game literally does nothing but make the game more of a hassle, harder to design, waste control configurations, etc. The only benefit is a whiny entitled percentage of the game's population is happy as they spin a camera in a game around like an idiot.

And if ignorant means right then I guess I'm guilty as charged. Games meant to be played with a bird's-eye view should be fixed camera only. PoE got it right, now let's see if they stick to being right or if they cave in to this small, whiny special interest group of cry babies in an expansion or sequel and make their game much worse for it.

If they design the game in such a way as to make rotating the camera necessary and unwieldy, then it's a problem with implementation - not the actual feature.

As for being unnecessary, that's about your personal preference. People like different things for different reasons, it's the way of the world.

Personally, I quite enjoy being able to change the angle - so as to have a better chance at finding a comfortable point of view when searching for secrets - and when admiring the scenery.

I've played 3D games with a static viewpoint, and even when they implement proper dynamic transparency - there are situations where you spend ages fiddling with positioning, trying to hit the right button or whatever.

For instance, you mention D:OS - which can "mostly" be played with a static viewpoint - but there are situations with the UI that become incredibly frustrating - and you absolutely need to change the camera angle. To design a game with a static viewpoint with such elaborate interaction is quite the challenge that shouldn't be underestimated.

A rotating camera in a true 3D game is quite trivial to implement in technical terms. It's essentially a natural part of creating a 3D game.

The challenge is to design a comfortable interface and quality camera controls. I'd argue that creating a 3D game with a static viewpoint is much harder because of the environment interaction requirements, especially in a complex RPG. But it's easier when it comes to level design, because you can actually omit certain details that the player will never get to see.

So, it's sort of a toss-up overall.

Back
Top Bottom