A new Ubisoft scandal

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Posted pretty much everywhere on news, so just an example links:
http://games.on.net/2014/10/ubisoft-gave-up-on-60-fps-because-it-looked-really-weird/
http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/09/30-...ore-cinematic-says-assassins-creed-unity-dev/

After locking overpowered graphics on PC in Watch Dogs with an excuse that they wanted to avoid performance problems which is totally not true as it works flawlessly when unlocked through mod, Ubisoft continues to shock and lie to customers.
AC:Unity will be locked on 30 FPS because 60 by their words "looks really weird" and "60 FPS is collectively dropped by games industry".

Doesn't stop there. FC4? Yea, 30FPS also:
http://www.game-debate.com/blog/ind...ing 1080p/30 FPS for PS4 version of Far Cry 4

Ubi haven't said anything yet about PC version, but both Xbox and PS4 versions will be 30FPS.
We all know consoles can't possibly outclass PC. But to blatantly lie about something instead of saying "consoles are weak" or simply "consoles suck" is an absurd.

Not buying AC game (repetitiveness) and not buying FC4 (season pass scam). Shall I add to the list of reasons not to buy a game - locked onto 30 FPS?

Incredible. The amount of bullshit these corporate leeches are able to spew.
Just wait, and they'll come up with 1440p looks weird. And that the industry is moving away from that.

And they have the guts to say the industry is moving away from that, just because some studios find it hard to achieve.

Personally, I could live with 30, 45 would be better. But it's a no-brainer that the gameplay benefits immensely from the increased framerate.

Why not make the limitation a setting on the pc-side?

They could just add "consolelike-experience" checkbox on pc settings that limits the fps to 30. Its on by default and user removing it gets a warning that "experience might become weird and result is not collectively supported by the game industry".

I was looking forward to fc4..

Typical Ubisoft really and doesn't bother me at all. At least I know it will perform well on aging computer with no problem this time. Sucks if you only play for graphics though.

Since I'm a graphics whore it sucks. :D

Not always of course, but if it ain't RPG, it better shine in graphics department as can't do that elsewhere.

I don't think it has anything to do with consoles. Rather due to the fact that these are demanding (and unoptimized) console ports that are not possible to run at full resolution and detail without variable and chugging performance in the absence of a low FPS cap, it is being locked due to decisions from some Ubi soft suits due to a perception it will lead to smoother graphics that anyone but the hard core won't notice, and thus higher review scores and more positive word of mouth.

Difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is quite remarkable. One doesn't even have to "a graphics whore" to notice it :)

I quess its their way of making excuses for bad coding.

Edit: This is officially my candidate for the most memorable video game developer quote of this year :p

"30 FPS “feels more cinematic,” says Assassin’s Creed Unity dev

Anything that requires Ubisoft or Origin platforms to play simply isn't worth playing. I don't get the need to force people to do this, but I sure as hell know an appropriate response.....never spend a cent on any of their products. And to remind others, often.

Apparently DAI will be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbone but 30FPS on both.... At least Bioware hasn't swooped down to ubisoft level yet.

Difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is quite remarkable. One doesn't even have to "a graphics whore" to notice it :)

Indeed. While 30 fps is fully playable, playing at a higher framerate does impact the gameplay in a good way. While I don't think anyone really cares if Europa Universalis is played at 30 or 60 fps, in a fast paced action game, it matters.

As for Ubisoft telling lies like this, it's just par for the course. I don't trust Ubisoft when they say something, and these days, I only buy their games at a very heavy discount (if ever), as I don't feel like supporting a company that can't just be honest with its customers (and in fact seem to think that we are just drooling morons who don't understand that having a smoother framerate is a good thing, or that Uplay DRM was an immense success (but the lack of sales was because PC is dead even when PC game sales have been going up, because the uplay DRM games did not sell well).

I don't think these things are really due to Ubisoft having nefarious thoughts, mostly just that these developers are young kids who are not used to playing a PR role and who drank too much company Kool-Aid.

For me though, the true Ubisoft scandal has always been the tax cuts they get from the Quebec government for their studios in Montreal. In the beginning, the government paid 50% of their employees salaries! Then it was reduced to 37.5% some years later, and now to 30%. And Ubisoft keeps complaining about it, the gall! My government is helping them make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit and they keep complaining!

Honestly I can't wait from the day until they are all cut, and these opportunistic leeches leave Montreal. It's hypocritical because over the years they kept saying that "we want to be in Montreal because there's just so much talent here", but everyone knows it's complete BS. On top of that Montreal has some of the lowest salaries in game development of all North America.

To me they are a scourge. And anyway, due to my government's stupidity and patheticness, it gave rise to the mega AAA studios with hundreds of men teams, which made things like Assassin's Creed possible. So apart from a handful of jobs that aren't all that valuable to begin with, they have hurt gaming and not helped it. You know things are truly messed up when you can't run a profitable business without depending on the race to the bottom model with various governments fighting to give you ever bigger tax breaks that other companies in industries which produce actually useful stuff to society could only dream about.

From Escapist:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ical-miss/12525-Ubisoft-is-Wrong-About-30-fps

839988.png

Well, I think it is a much better thing to do instead of saying... good work on Watch Dogs, but sorry now you're laid off...

Back
Top Bottom