Skyrim - Dragonborn DLC Review @ Atomic Gamer

aries100

SasqWatch
Atomic Gamer has a review of this game - the score is 8/10 and here's a quote about the nostalgia touching the feelings for Morrowind in the DLC:
Bethesda smartly tried to pull on the strings of nostalgia that are woven into some of our gaming memories, and so they've carefully slipped in music, architecture, weapons, ambient sounds and even a couple of returning storylines from the Morrowind era here....... Sure, you'll find the Skaal village, a Telvanni tower, some of the Morag Tong, that iconic Dunmer bone armor and architecture, and even an old, decrepit Silt Strider, but don't expect to get the best of both worlds at once here. The feeling's nice for a little while, but it doesn't last long......... The voice acting in this add-on is really pretty good and I thought it sounded generally better than what I usually expect from Bethesda, but it's not exactly Voice Acting of the Year material, either.
More information.

"…sounded generally better than what I usually expect from Bethesda". Bethesda's games have bad voice acting? What a strange thing to say… I hope he means that there are voices used for too many characters, because the list of voice actors for Bethesda includes Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, Sean Bean, Malcolm McDowell. Bad voice actors? Someone hasn't been to the movies in… about 50 years…

"…sounded generally better than what I usually expect from Bethesda". Bethesda's games have bad voice acting? What a strange thing to say… I hope he means that there are voices used for too many characters, because the list of voice actors for Bethesda includes Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson, Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, Sean Bean, Malcolm McDowell. Bad voice actors? Someone hasn't been to the movies in… about 50 years…

People in main quest have good voice acting but other voices which are majority are not particularly good,they sound very lifeless(this goes for Elder scroll games situation in FO games is much better) especially when you compare it to bioware games where every NPC you talk to is well acted.Also you forgot Leonard Nimoy(oblivion)and Ron Perlman(narrator in FO games) :).

People in main quest have good voice acting but other voices which are majority are not particularly good,they sound very lifeless(this goes for Elder scroll games situation in FO games is much better) especially when you compare it to bioware games where every NPC you talk to is well acted.Also you forgot Leonard Nimoy(oblivion)and Ron Perlman(narrator in FO games) :).

Not to mention John Goodman, Susan Sarandon, Michael Madsen and a lot others in games published by Bethesda... I really forgot about Nimoy in Oblivion, can't remember whom he played... But yeah, I agree that Bioware's voice actors are more evenly distributed among main characters and supporting cast.

If I remember correctly don't they use software to change some of the voices and modulate them?

Anyways, I kinda forgive a game the size of skyrim and oblivion not having a distinct voice for every character...hell the witcher 2 reused voices for generic npcs and it didn't bother me.

Back
Top Bottom