Dragon Age: Inquisition - Preview @ EuroGamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
EuroGamer has a new gameplay trailer and preview based off a press event in London.

Dragon Age: Inquisition sees the return of the tactical view from Dragon Age: Origins, BioWare has announced.

The developer has also announced the RPG's fourth playable race: the Qunari.

In Inquisition the tactical view, available on all platforms, works as it did in Origins. You're able to pause combat and zoom out to a top-down perspective, issuing party members movement, ability and attack orders. The tactical view, which was ditched for the heavily-criticised Dragon Age 2, lets players micro-manage combat, enhancing the strategic element of encounters.

Eurogamer saw this in action during a recent preview event in London, where BioWare developers demoed a pre-alpha version of the game running on a high-end PC. You can see snippets of gameplay in the video below.

More information.

Bringing back the tactical top down view back does sound promising. I just got a lot more interested in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Too bad there are no shots in the video of what exactly that will look like (for example, how wide the field of view might be in top down mode), but I must admit the game is looking surprisingly pretty.

but the player still clicks to strike? so there's only the tactical view of DA:O (not from what I can see in the video) but still the action-y controls of DA2?

Hm. That video hardly showed much in the way of tactical play. In fact, it did look very much like playing Skyrim, especially near the end. EA/Bioare are masters of hype - we all remember DA2 - so I'll view this with some skepticism until I see the final product.

got to say this footage looks great. The spell effects and animation are superb.

I hated DA2 but I have high hopes for this, particularly after reading a preview that said there would be no level scaling and that some areas would be off limits at points due to the difficulty of mobs.

Only thing that I don't like the idea of is being a member of the inquisition/chosen one.... so bored of this storyline!

from the look of PAX's gameplay video, it looks like an APRG game.., quite different from DAO

but the player still clicks to strike? so there's only the tactical view of DA:O (not from what I can see in the video) but still the action-y controls of DA2?

There is a tactical view, exactly like there was in DAO. For all platforms too and you can play that way (point&click) outside of combat if you wants, just like in DAO.

I think this looks really good, actually. They said they were going for a middle ground between DAO and DA2 with regard to combat speed. I think they got it right, from what little I've seen. The desert combat vids were pretty crappy, but those were pre-alpha. These are much nicer.

Looks incredibly action-y indeed. And I don't see any party members in the video?
I have to agree it does look like Skyrim...

Back
Top Bottom