Why Does BG2 Break Quests?

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Spoiler Warning!

I did De'Arnise Keep last night and hit the basement before the drawbridge. I had the flail heads. I killed Torgal and was "rewarded" by BG2 as follows:
- deny me the ability to clear the roof
- deny me the ability to forge the flail
- deny me 29K XP for the drawbridge
- deny me the Golem treasure

Basically I got completely penalized and screwed by the non linear design. Worse I'll have to completely redo the manor the "way Bioware wants it done properly". Such bs!

I remember being annoyed with the exact same reason, lucky for Bioware, I was so in love with the game by then :biggrin: just one quest though, I don't remember other quests like that.

Well it looks like I was able to make the Flail after all. My THAC0 rises with it though and the damage rating is not improved vs my sword. Glad I didn't have to redo everything just to find that out! If I try to go to the courtyard or roof the game transitions.

Thanks. I also was able to take out the golems and I needed the flail for that. I used speed to get the other weapons before the Golems could react. They were all +3 weapons or better but only the flail would hit the iron Golem? Why is that? The +3 war hammer should have worked no?

How did you get all +3 weapons or better before the De'Arniss keep? There are very few +3 weapons (or better) in all of BG2 and like half of them are behind the Iron Golem you tried to kill.

It's EE. The golems are mindless. First I killed the small golems one by one. Then using speed I raced in and grabbed the weapons. The Iron Golem can't fit through the door so I was back through it before the Iron Golem could react. There is a +3 hammer, +3 Axe and +4 longbow in that room. I identified the weapons and went back for the Iron Golem. I thought the hammer would work if not the axe as well. Only the Flail works however.

The hammer in the golem room is supposed to be a +1 war hammer (+4 against Giantkin). The bow and axes are supposed to be +3 and they should work on the Golem. I personally usually kill it with Lilarcor though.

I took on the manor right off the bat so all I had going into the quest was the +2 Sword of Chaos. The Umbers and Troll boss battles were a bit difficult. I didn't realize that the quest wasn't intended for that early on. Not a lot of guidance in this game. Nalia was really insistent!

I didn't realize that the quest wasn't intended for that early on. Not a lot of guidance in this game. Nalia was really insistent!

I agree, and that's one of the few things I didn't like about BG2. After you exit the initial dungeon, you quickly accumulate a lot of sidequests that give no indication of how difficult they are, and there's really no way of knowing what order they should be tackled without looking at a guide.

Is this actually your first time playing BG2?

Oh the quest is supposed to be done that early, the Iron Golem is optional and you can fetch the stuff in the room without having to deal with him.

It's not the first time I've started BG2. I've made it a bit beyond the point I'm at now. Last night I completed the Jaheira curse quest and killed all the slavers. But I'm on a different path this time it seems. Last time I did part of the manor but left to farm some XP and strengthen the party. I ended up in the sewers, got annoyed and quit for years. I was fresh off the heels of BG1 last time and I had little patience left. I'm more committed this time!

Nice to hear you're playing this mega-gem of an RPG, Todd! The BG series are top RPGs, for sure.

I would suggest, though, maybe not being so determined to complete everything. It's okay if you can't clear the roof or whatever, just play it naturally and keep it moving. :)

I actually missed the flail all together in that level, and couldn't return later to forge it. So, I cheated it and added it via a console command. Had I played it today, I wouldn't have even done that (would have just lived with the consequences). :)

Have fun!

Hey Fluent long time no err... see. Yeah BG1 and BG2 have always been on my must play list. Like Thrasher I have always had a completist nature but I'll accept the Flail and Golems and call it complete. You are talking to a guy who picked up every plant in the Gothic series on multiple play throughs and used maybe a dozen in total. I "need" everything. I'll walk a mile to a vendor to sell a dagger to make inventory room for a Kobolds short sword at level 20. It's a sickness.

Haha! I'm the same exact way, though. Picking every flower, looting every single thing. It's funny how some people play RPGs this way.

I have lately tried to be a little more relaxed and not hoard so much (playing Gothic 2, currently), but it's damn hard! I have at least learned to live with the consequences of my actions and not re-load after every "wrong" decision! :D

That's Gothic for you. It teaches you to pick up every damn plant and stick. Let you're guard down in the first segment for ten seconds and you're dead! :)

Such an awesome game. I'm loving it so far. The first Gothic is classic as well.

Todd, you still playing LOTRO at all? I haven't played in a year, but I think I'm getting the craving to head back and check in on things sometime. I stopped near the end of Moria and did want to see Lothlorien but didn't make it that far.

Too funny Thrasher. No on Lotro, been more than a year. I'll take a wander back in the spring probably.

Back
Top Bottom