Risen 2 - Cinematic Trailer

I'm pretty happy to see that the old, tired medieval setting with the elves, orcs and wizards is finally not synonymous with rpgs.
Now if we get rid of the 'ancient evil that returns to destroy the cosmos' scenarios, we might start seeing some real creativity.

But then you get a game like DA2. I wouldn't call that an improvement. You need villains to make a rpg not a narrative of a man living his life.

But then you get a game like DA2.
Or games like Bloodlines and PS:T
(ok Bloodlines did have the ancient evil thing but the twist and the awareness of the cliché made all the difference)

Last edited:
I#d rather see an RPG with current graphics with Dwarves & Elves & Magic taking place in a setting like Fallout ...

So, if you take the Gothic & Risen series, they put everything relatibg to traditional fantasy universes out and replace them with humans.

I'd like to see the reverse of that, too.
"Human" setting populated with fantasy creatures.

Kind of ... "Crysis" or "Far Shout" with Dwarves & Elves ...

I#d rather see an RPG with current graphics with Dwarves & Elves & Magic taking place in a setting like Fallout …

So, if you take the Gothic & Risen series, they put everything relatibg to traditional fantasy universes out and replace them with humans.

I'd like to see the reverse of that, too.
"Human" setting populated with fantasy creatures.

Kind of … "Crysis" or "Far Shout" with Dwarves & Elves …

The closest game that combines fantasy with modern times is the shadowrun campaign setting. Unfortunately the setting ins't used in many pc games. Im still waiting for more cyberpunk rpgs and steampunk games. Only Arcanum used it in a pc rpg.

Or games like Bloodlines and PS:T
(ok Bloodlines did have the ancient evil thing but the twist and the awareness of the cliché made all the difference)

Bloodlines could of used more development time but thanks to the unofficial patches it works better. As for PS:T its a dead franchise now and I dont see any more games coming out in the future.

Voodoo magic sounds good - I don't think I ever had that in an RPG. It would be interesting to have some ritual based magic in Risen 2. Sort of like in Ultima 8, only with a better interface.

The trailer was alright. But when it comes to raising my interest in the game, it's a waste of money. I would rather hear more about the gameplay elements or see an ingame video.

Bloodlines could of used more development time but thanks to the unofficial patches it works better. As for PS:T its a dead franchise now and I dont see any more games coming out in the future.

What does any of that have to do with the fact that both these games had original settings and storylines?
If I say 'I want a game as original as PS:T' I don't mean that I want a PS:T2… (that would be …less original.)

The closest game that combines fantasy with modern times is the shadowrun campaign setting. Unfortunately the setting ins't used in many pc games. Im still waiting for more cyberpunk rpgs and steampunk games. Only Arcanum used it in a pc rpg.

Dungeon Siege, Torchlight, WoW :D

Unfortunately you name 3 games I just don't want to play (okay, I played DS1 through).

A shadowrun CRPG would (could) be awesome - but definitely too dark for poor Alrik! The best P&P campaigns I ever played were Shadowrun, it was an awesomely fun setting.

As long as the Risen characters don't have ridiculously short arms this time I will be happy.

risen.jpg

The trailer was alright. But when it comes to raising my interest in the game, it's a waste of money. I would rather hear more about the gameplay elements or see an ingame video.

+1 I want to see some combat footage involving those pistols.

On a side note, I'm a little surprised to see they're also doing a PS3 version for Risen 2. I hope their console ports are more successful this time.

It is not ingame, but impressed i am.
Dont buy that much games but this one is a certain buy,.

Voodoo...

I've always liked pet classes. I want a zombie companion. :p

Could actually be interesting, if they tried to make it an authentic voodoo story, I.e. someone in the community does a terrible thing, so the community imposes a sentence of zombification. Your companion could be kind of arse, instead of some heroic blowhard. :p

A pirates meet Cthulhu RPG? Hey, why not. Sounds cool and new to me. ^^

Tho I must say, Risen 1 was one of the VERY FEW games I never finished because the twitchy end boss. I HATE that kind of console battles and it just wasn't within my powers. :/

Dungeon Siege, Torchlight, WoW :D

I only played Dungeon Siege and dont really care about the other two. Only the goblins had the tech.

No, you need antagonists. That's not the same as villains.

Well that also someone to hate and get you motivated the same as a villain just different.

Last edited:
How about a game world where Humans are almost extinct??? How about a game you can't play as a human? You can take the basic Tolkien world and play with it. What if elves are the great evil race and Orcs are good natured and easily victimized? Hell, what if you are a member of an evil race and you play a "supposedly evil" character trying to save his/her people? I dunno, ANYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom