Gothic 3 Any word on next patch yet?

bjon045

SasqWatch
Just wondering if there is any word at all on any future patches. Will be a shame if they leave it at 1.12 till the supposed addon comes out.

Yes after the 1.12 patch the devs mentioned that many things which need to be fixed can only be done as a part of one big patch.
Though they never said when, so either they will release it before or with the expansion

Just wondering if there is any word at all on any future patches. Will be a shame if they leave it at 1.12 till the supposed addon comes out.

I haven't seen / heard anything either ... even if it *is* going to take another few months some communication would be nice.

The last and latest word on future patches is in WoG's Xmas special as far as I know. A translation can be found here .

forget about patches until the addon :)
they simply do not have money
there are some really interesting threads on jowood forum asking if ppl are going to pay for the patch actually :)
mods are answering that there WILL be a patch and then they say that no changes will be done until the addon
i have also heard a 1GB patch rumor ... which by all means is either nonsense or the game code is less than thrash
acleacius - no code is written in a way that you would have to apply a large 1gb patch that is bullshit and they say it just to lead some ppl into thinking that the addon is their only hope
anyways the company has lost me as their fan
1) no communication and if any than bullshit
2) fucked up game - an ex-masterpiece
3) no support

Thanks for the link Mo. It's a very interesting read. The fact that they admit the game is still unfinsihed and needs work was revealing, as was their admission that they failed to achieve some of their key goals!! At least they are trying to move the genre forward, instead of playing it safe!!

Thanks for the link Mo. It's a very interesting read. The fact that they admit the game is still unfinsihed and needs work was revealing, as was their admission that they failed to achieve some of their key goals!! At least they are trying to move the genre forward, instead of playing it safe!!
that is what i thought at first corwin but this info is old and now there is the 1GB patch thing ahead - which leads us to the inevitable addon another 20 euro and then we will probably have another unfinished product because the large scope of the game - id rather have a semi breakthrough product that would play just nice - not like Oblivion and not like NWN2 (both do not count as RPGs by my standards)
and another thing if the guys do not play it at least a bit safe then we will not have PB in one year

i have also heard a 1GB patch rumor ... which by all means is either nonsense or the game code is less than thrash
acleacius - no code is written in a way that you would have to apply a large 1gb patch that is bullshit

Why would you say that? The folks from PB themselves have explained why such a large patch is needed. The reason is that they can not fix the world in incremental updates. They can only fix the whole thing, compile it and then release it all in one big chunk. It's what they would need to do to fix the "world bugs" like flying objects and messed up physics (NPCs falling through the world etc).
Besides, demos of 1GB+ size are slowly becoming the norm. I don't see a problem with this. They just need to update the auto-patcher to allow for manual updates (so the dial-up ISDN/56K folks aren't forced to download the huge update if/when it becomes available). Then release the patch on game mag DVDs.
Shouldn't be a problem (in theory) but we'll have to wait and see what they will do in the end. Fact is that they have more or less promised to release a uber (GB) patch in that WoG interview. I hope they'll keep word.

darghan
"acleacius - no code is written in a way that you would have to apply a large 1gb patch that is bullshit and they say it just to lead some ppl into thinking that the addon is their only hope anyways the company has lost me as their fan"

What the hell are you talking about, why would you think I said "there was going to be a 1 gig patch" and then attempt to tell me about coding. are you drunk or do you not understand?
Who said the patch was a gig?
And for the sake of trying to understand wth your talking about, why exactly couldn't a patch be any size and how is the reason you say "it can't be" based on code?

I don't know how G3 is architected, but the engine codebase couldnt possibly be 1 Gig. Think about it. The art assets sure, but how could the exe/dll's be that size? I don't have this game installed but just take a look at the directory structures.

Maybe the art assets are fubar and that's why a 1 gig patch is necessary - but the game engine???

I have no idea what darghan is talking about, but PB said they needed to do a large patch which they were trying to put many corrections in such as floating trees and rocks so his contention doesn't seem to make since based on the code you can't have a patch which is 1 gig in size, where ever the hell he gets that from.

I sure agree with you ToddMcF2002, when you refer to code base not being 1gig as you mentioned the exe and the couple couple of dll (s) which do exist are nothing close to that size.
No one afaik has even insinuated the max size of a patch is based on any releationship to or part of the code size, well except darghan. ;)

Well, as you may (or may not it seems :biggrin: ) remember from the time before Gothic III was released, one major problem that PB were facing and that was causing them, JoWood and the Romanian QA folks much frustration, was that PB needed to compile the entire code base from scratch every time they made enough fixes to warrant the compilation of a new build of the game. They said that the compilation process took 12 hours+ every time so there was always a long wait between builds and before the testers would submit feedback on the latest build.
Now why they have to do that (compile the entire thing) every time, I don't know, of course, but I would guess that it might have to do with the underlying database that the game is using and with data integrity checks.
In essence, this means that a major patch (which would in fact be a new build) would probably include new versions of pretty much everything but the art assets. And it will most likely be a gig or more. We'll see...

Well, as you may (or may not it seems :biggrin: ) remember from the time before Gothic III was released, one major problem that PB were facing and that was causing them, JoWood and the Romanian QA folks much frustration, was that PB needed to compile the entire code base from scratch every time they made enough fixes to warrant the compilation of a new build of the game. They said that the compilation process took 12 hours+ every time so there was always a long wait between builds and before the testers would submit feedback on the latest build.
Now why they have to do that (compile the entire thing) every time, I don't know, of course, but I would guess that it might have to do with the underlying database that the game is using and with data integrity checks.
In essence, this means that a major patch (which would in fact be a new build) would probably include new versions of pretty much everything but the art assets. And it will most likely be a gig or more. We'll see...

what was that about Romanians. i have never heard until now...

Gothic III was bugtested by a romanian firm, I guess they were much cheaper than any german company in that branch would have been.

lol why all that flame ? :) - no i was not drunk writing it last time but now i drank 3 glasses of vodka with cola :) still I am not a retard... possibly
Acleacius: man i did not say i heard or read it from YOU in HERE - the 1 gig patch is a confirmed rumor .. read all the other forums and you will understand (WOG, Jowood)
moriendor - only theoretically - and RE-compiling and then releasing the whole game ?
now what is the biggest space eater - sounds and graphics - not the physics man and neither the AI or any other things - AI, physics and such are just very complex mathematical calculations and they do not account for large quantities of space . howgh
and acleacius - i have not seen the game code and i am not a coder - i just work at a company that actually does the coding and i have some basic understanding of game development from my previous jobs
- maybe i am wrong ... for sure i can be :) but you guys can bet that there will not be any bigger patches until the addon

"acleacius - no code is written in a way that you would have to apply a large 1gb patch that is bullshit..... "

Ahh well my appoligies, I never had see this info and you addressed it to me, so I was like huh? :)
And no flame, just seemed really really weird. ;)

:) ok
no need for apologies actually .. I could see from other posts you being a nice guy :) i was just a little bit surprised - thats all :)
anyways read the other forums .. they really claim something like this might happen ..

Back
Top Bottom