Niche Gamer - A Brief History of the European CRPG

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
There's a fairly comprehensive article on Niche Gamer dealing with the history of European style CRPGs examing why they appeared in the first place and how they relate to their American and Japanese style siblings.

Two excerpts:

European CRPGs are, as anyone who has played any within the past 15 years can tell, markedly different than their American-made counterparts. This difference is seen most strongly in the combat and world navigation systems, which are often very hard to grasp or lack the kind of feedback and ease-of-use that most gamers have been taught to expect. Lacking instantaneous fast travel options, quest markers, and having melee attacks that are often difficult to pull off without hours of practice, many mistake them as having been poorly designed. In reality, they are merely emulating the style of CRPG that existed in the 1980s. A style that, unlike America, Europe did not abandon.
(..)

Though Gothic didn’t outsell Morrowind, it did manage to create a strong interest for more of the games in the states. Enough of an interest for several European-based publishers to take a risk and begin sending their games stateside. Thanks to Gothic’s success, and the European CRPG renaissance it kicked off, several of the most beloved CRPGs of the 2000s were made by developers who were not from North America or Japan.
More information.

European CRPG as genre or subgenre doesn't exist. Not yet at least because honestly, I don't see anything characteristic for european games that doesn't appear in games made on other continents.

What does exist in Europe is something else when it comes to RPG. It's idiotic european publishers who fought against RPG in general for ages. Because of those idiots, noone, outside of a few RPG centred sites, heard about gems like Venetica or Drakensang.
Luckily for all of us, there is no box inferior to PC, a console constructed in europe, that would have killed RPG for good for sakes of low IQ necessary genres.

American RPGs are European RPGs, because they are based on European historical folklore, not native American history and folklore. European RPGs have no need to differentiate from the medieval trope…

I've noticed the more eastern European games quite like all the blade-twitching mechanics though, such as parry, block, thrust etc I've no idea if that's their own invention or something copied from jRPGs though (please excuse me while I roll out of this convo to avoid being trolled...)

I just wondered which RPGs came from Europe and which ones from the American states ? I mean, to me, I didn't focus on the origin of the game so far. Apart from TDE games, and Gothic, and The Witcher, everything looks very similar to me.

Spontaneusly I wouldn't be able to list games produced here and there - or even worse : A list of things differenciating RPGs by their origin ...

How nice of this American ludo-anthropologist to share his keen analysis of the European CRPG...

Apart from eschewing some of the traditional prudity of mainstream American culture, the one thing that has generally differentiated games made in Europe from their colonial siblings would have a smaller budget.

The differences between the gaming industries and development cultures of , e.g., the UK, Spain and the Ukraine have been and continue to be obviously greater than between those of some European countries and the US. So this "analysis" on the "European CRPG" is not just patronising and frankly ignorant in many aspects, it's actually moot.

Back
Top Bottom