Gothic 2 G2 and XP 64?

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Well, I've had no replies over at the Dot, so I'll try the experts here. Will G2 work in XP 64? It installed fine, but when I click on the icon to start, I get the famous MS apology, IMMEDIATELY!! Everything else on my rig is WAY over the needed requirements.

I heard it should run. Maybe you need some compatibility setting?

I tried that and it didn't work. I suspect it has something to do with the virtual drive it tries to set up. I'm hoping I have no problems with G3. I'm considering trying Vista!! Any news on that??!!

G2 and G3 GM1 don´t work with Vista.

Wonderful!! They obviously don't like 64 bit OS!! Don't you think that all games released now should be compatible with Vista? It's going to take over within the next 12 months, I expect!!

It won´t. It´s still in beta, it´s slower than XP and 2 GB RAM is recommended. It will take 2 or 3 years.

I have 2 GB Ram!! :) and an AMD dual core 64 bit processor!!

GameStar posted that Microsoft has confirmed to game developers that games will be 10-15% slower on Vista than on XP.

The only two real advantages I see are DirectX10 and the absence of XP´s 3GB RAM limit. Put 4 GB in and disable the swap file. :D

I'm still stuck with an OS which won't run the game. Will G3 work on XP 64?

Probably. I heard 64bit drivers are on the DVD.

If not Corwin is off line while he reformats for xp installation. :) :p

The game just arrived in the mail, so you'll be hearing from me one way or another!! :)

Edith says: IT WORKS!! :D

Last edited:
Bleh...I'm in the states and ordered from New Zealand. My copy's not even shipping out until the 27th :( Glad to hear it works with a 64-bit system, though.

Haha, sorry, but I'm in Australia and I ordered from the UK, while you ordered from NZ!! Just seems funny to me!! :)

G2 and G3 GM1 don´t work with Vista.

Is that right?
What about any other games we play now? are they then useless?
I would have thought vista would at least run older programs.
Don`t much like the sound of this idea.

NZ was much cheaper than GB (<$50 U.S. including shipping), but I guess that's why I still haven't received a copy. Ordering from Britain might have been a better choice...

Is that right?
What about any other games we play now? are they then useless?
I would have thought vista would at least run older programs.
Don`t much like the sound of this idea.
That´s what the Gamestar article said.

Vista requires a very fast PC, is slower for older games and, most importantly, has a completely perverted licensing scheme. You effectively are no longer allowed to upgrade your PC without buying a new Vista.

Avoid it like the plague.

The slower games are not true, that's ONLY if you don't have enough ram. We tried it and most games runs at about the same speed if you have 2 GB:s of ram.

The DX10 games will perform a lot better, because the vista driver model is better, and DX10 improved a lot over DX9. Though we can't compare since they won't even run on XP :D Some games will have stripped down DX9 versions for XP though.

I hope they really improve Vista for the release be cause the way it stands now (Beta 2 running on a 2.6ghz sys w/1g ram) sucks...IMO

Would someone mind explaining the upgrading issue with Vista? How the hell could MS sell something like that? Who would buy Vista knowing that they could not upgrade their system without having to buy another license? Does Vista associate a license with a specific HW configuration in order to prevent installing on multiple machines? Would this in turn mean that I would have to purchase a separate copy for each machine in my house? I understand the need to grow profits, but what about retaining market share?

Back
Top Bottom