Dishonored - One of the Most Important Games

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
According to Canadian Gamers Online, Dishonered is one of the most important games of the last decade.

While Dishonored was well received in its time, it never really got the recognition it deserved. The game did something with the setting (Dunwall) that I still think about to this day. In simple terms Dishonored made me feel something that I hadn’t felt in a video game since my early days of playing Final Fantasy IV. It did something that made me feel like I was in a world worth exploring to its fullest as opposed to just running through the story as quickly as possible like I do with most modern games these days. Dunwall lives and breathes in a way that never got the credit it deserved, and I am hoping that through this I might be able to convince you to reconsider this game as one of the most important of the last decade.
More information.

Tried to play it 3 different times, never liked it for more than 2, maybe 3 missions.
Interesting game though.

Styx Master of Shadows is a MUCH better and difficult stealth game, I enjoyed it for 20 hours.

Dishonored is one of rare games I've put 10/10.
Why? It does what it does in a brilliant way.
It has no bugs.
It has nothing I could say "this stinks".

One of the most important games it is. Getting a nobugs game from Bethesda seemed as mission impossible before Dishonored.

I don't know if I would label it one of the most important games of the last decade, but it was a fun game.

I just finished playing through it a couple weeks ago. The open-ended quality of completing missions and the ability to teleport around made for a unique gameplay experience. Story was predictable but enjoyable. Good game, would hope to see a sequel at some point.

Fun game but not as good as Deus Ex Human Revolution in my view. Just as a personal preference of mine, Dishonored's setting was difficult for me to get into, although it was well presented.

I'm with joxer on this. 10/10 from me too and, in my personal opinion, a better (but not by much) game than Deus Ex HR

It's a very good game, but the guy is exaggerating.

In simple terms Dishonored made me feel something that I hadn’t felt in a video game since my early days of playing Final Fantasy IV. It did something that made me feel like I was in a world worth exploring to its fullest as opposed to just running through the story as quickly as possible like I do with most modern games these days.

I have a feeling this dude has missed a lot of games over the past 2 decades. :)

I was very impressed with Dishonored and consider it one of the best recent-ish major releases. it's easy, of course, but the love poured into the setting is astonishing. especially pleased that the game was so unique that hardly anyone was calling it "a new franchise" at the time =P

can only think of a few pernicious points to deny the game a perfect 10/10 score... the ambient dialogue was often repetitive and ill-matching - all the "shall we gather for whisky and cigars tonight? chances are very good!" moments were giggle-worthy. also the side story with the distiller gang was unconvincing. that's just pedantry though, I suppose.

Last edited:
I would rephrase the article headline to be, "After many attempts, the best an FPS can be has been done, and it is Dishonored."

Debate that until the end of time, or at least until Dishonored 2.

4lsp5GT.jpg

And it's an FPS only if you want it to be.

I grew bored with the game after the first few hours.

He explains why it's his favorite game by not why it's important, and important to what? The industry?

No, I think Skyrim would get that nod.

I grew bored with the game after the first few hours.

He explains why it's his favorite game by not why it's important, and important to what? The industry?

No, I think Skyrim would get that nod.

There are a number of games I would put way ahead of Dishonored, that's for sure. Not just in terms of being great - but also important.

Dishonored was a good game, but it didn't really impress me much.

Witcher 2, Skyrim, DE:HR, Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite could all qualify for game of the decade from where I'm sitting.

I agree with CGO. The game grew on me enormously once I realize just how subtly it reacted to you and just how much attention to little tiny detail there was. The art direction/atmosphere is 11/10 the story 9/10 and the 'play it your way' level design a pure joy.

On a par with XCOM, M&M X and DE:HR for the games I are the shining triple A stars of the last 3 years amid the sea of soulless action mediocrity. Obviously not counting delicious non-triple A goodness like Wasteland 2 and D:OS.

I think Dishonored was a fantastic game - one of my favorites in the past few years. I think the article's statement is hyperbole though. Have any games come out since then that are strongly influenced by it? I haven't really seen any.

The stealth & magic combo was great fun - done in a way I haven't seen done elsewhere. I look forward to more games like this, but until there are more, its hard to say how important this game is.

Back
Top Bottom